61 key vs 76 key

mcmurray

• Members

I'm sure this question has been asked ad nauseum before, but the search function is useless. I apologise in advance.

I'm looking at picking up a Motif XF soon, but haven't decided on a 61 key version or 76 key. I already have a graded-hammer weighted 88 key controller (Yamaha P80) that I'll be using for piano parts.

Seeing as I already have an 88, would it be worth the extra cash to pick up a 76 key version? I haven't had much experience with playing voices other than piano, but I think for things like electric piano, guitars, strings, drums etc that 61 keys would be enough.

• Members

if you have already regular size board there is absolutely no sense to buy a 76 keys keyboard IMO. 61 is enough to do almost anything you want plus is more portable although not as light as you could thing. Also the price difference between XF6 and XF7 is not that small, you can get memory module for the difference.

BTW, I have motif XS6 and roland RD700GX and it's perfect combo.

• Members

Besides the piano, having 5 octaves is usually more than enough. People mainly choose 76 keys if they make more or less complex splits for their live setups. There, an octave more can make quite a difference.

• Members

I gig regularly with an 88 key weighted on the bottom tier, and a 76 semi-weighted on top, and a rack full of modules I can assign to either. I feel the 76 gives me more flexibility than a 61 would, and frankly there's times I wish there was 88 on top instead of 76.

But everybody's different.

• Members

Besides the piano, having 5 octaves is usually more than enough. People mainly choose 76 keys if they make more or less complex splits for their live setups. There, an octave more can make quite a difference.

This will just be for home studio use/compsitions etc, no gigging. I think I'll get the 61 key and spend the difference on a firewire card and memory.

• Members

61 keys in plenty for any instrument reproduction except for some piano stuff. I have no use for more the 61 keys. If I want higher (never) or lower (sometimes) octave I simply use the tranpose function. The reality is that even 49 key synths can reproduce the range of the vast majority of other instruments. The other thing I dislike about the larger keyboards is their cumbersome size and extra weight.

• Members

61 keys is very portable and nice. I have a number of them. The 76 key is lighter than 88 but will greatly increase the amount of comtemporary or classical music you might want to play. Also you will be able to have more splits on 76 keys if you so choose. I am a pianist so for me the more keys the better, but that is just me. Everyone is different. There are actually pianos out there with more than 88 keys, something like 94 keys. Not exactly sure of that number. Anyway you can certainly use the P80 as a controller with the 61 key board. Either way you go you will have a great keyboard. I have the 88 key XS and love it. I am old school and like a lot of keys. That's just me. Only you can decide what is going to be best for you in the end. Just be happy you are in a situation that you can even afford a Yamaha XF in this economy. Many of use are envious.

Good luck in your music making.

• Members

I'd buy an 88 key semi-weighted if they made one. 76 (or -sigh- 73) is my preferred key size. I won't even consider a 61 key if there's a larger number of keys available.

There are a few songs where I use several key splits so I don't have to use 2 synths or change patches. There are other songs I just use all the keys. 61 is too limiting for me.

I vote 76.

-Mc

• Members

I've got some prices for the XF, and the 76 is $520 dearer than the 61. For me I don't think it's worth it, especially when I've got an 88 key handy.

If you're satisfied with the 88 you've got now, and it's a bit capable as a controller, you might also want to consider a rack module.

It's a great controller if all you want to do is send midi piano signals. For doing anything more than this, it's hideous. Also I'd like a synth-action keyboard to complement the weighted p80.

• Members

Sounds like you wouldn't take advantage of what 76 keys offer over 61 -- more zones for splits, ability to play music live that spans the whole range in addition to the 88 keys, having extra keys assigned to drum kits, etc.

In fact, sounds like you'd be fine with a 49-key version if they had one. So then, if the P80 isn't a great MIDI controller, why not get ==>

rack + 49key MIDI controller

That may give you the most options as well as save you the most money.

Bang for the buck, flexibility, future potential, and something unique -- my recipe for what I add to my collection.

• Members

Sounds like you wouldn't take advantage of what 76 keys offer over 61 -- more zones for splits, ability to play music live that spans the whole range in addition to the 88 keys, having extra keys assigned to drum kits, etc.

In fact, sounds like you'd be fine with a 49-key version if they had one. So then, if the P80 isn't a great MIDI controller, why not get ==>

rack + 49key MIDI controller

That may give you the most options as well as save you the most money.

Bang for the buck, flexibility, future potential, and something unique -- my recipe for what I add to my collection.

Good suggestion, but I'm after full workstation functionality, including sequencer, not just a sound module. Forgot to mention that.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Been looking at the new Yamaha Mox6 and Mox8 and asking myself the same question. I currently use two keyboards: a Casio Px-330 (88 keys) and a Roland Juno Stage (76 keys). While I occasionally use the bottom octave of the PX, I RARELY use the top octave. When using the Juno (primarily for synths and organ), I don't think I have ever used the full range of that keyboard. It is nice to have the extra octaves when playing a split keyboard, but it isn't a necessity. With that in mind, I agree with Tremens that a 61 keyboard should be just fine, as long as you don't need it for "full range" piano pieces.

• Members

To me there are 3 factors:

1) Piano. I find 76 is just barely enough for piano playing, and even then I usually have to compromise on some of the left hand parts.

2) Splits. If you need to do splits, you run out of real estate very quickly doing them on 61 keys.

3) Logistics. If you intend to gig with the keyboard, you have to make sure your transport can handle the bigger keyboard. My 76-key board in its case just barely fits in my mid-size sedan. An 88-key board would be out of the question for gigging unless I get a different vehicle. And then there's the weight to consider.

D7

• Members

If playing live and using it as your only keyboard, largest keyboard, or for any piano parts, 76 keys no question; find the money have the right vehicle ready. :thu:

If using the 88 key live get the 61 keys, save you back, make your splits with the 2 boards at the ready, no question. :thu:

For studio only use, none of what I mention above matters unless you intend to use this new board as a controller instead of the 88key one, saving the 88 key one as piano only piece, no question. :thu:

• Members

Been looking at the new Yamaha Mox6 and Mox8 and asking myself the same question. I currently use two keyboards: a Casio Px-330 (88 keys) and a Roland Juno Stage (76 keys). While I occasionally use the bottom octave of the PX, I RARELY use the top octave. When using the Juno (primarily for synths and organ), I don't think I have ever used the full range of that keyboard. It is nice to have the extra octaves when playing a split keyboard, but it isn't a necessity. With that in mind, I agree with Tremens that a 61 keyboard should be just fine, as long as you don't need it for "full range" piano pieces.

I think you'd make the right call in going for the 61-key Yamaha, based on what you posted above.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

61 key would be fine for most gigs, 76 keys is nicer if you do more piano, 88 keys boards I find are really heavy and not really nessasary inless you do lots of piano gigs

I rarely play piano but I do a lot of insane keyboard splits. IMPOSSIBLE on a 61 key...

• Members

I too am a huge fan of the 73 keys. When they go C to shining C I don't even notice the 3 keys missing. After that I like 61.

I have to admit my tastes have changed and changed back over the years. I started on 61 in the late 80's like most. Then 10 years later I thought a proper keyboardist should have an 88 weighted keyboard. It was a status thing. I got really spoiled with the weighted action but hated hauling the bulky things around.

Also weighted keys are like a fine acoustic guitar for they make me sound better and therefor I play better. But I always felt like I needed a 61 key synth sitting on the second tier for specific non-piano sounds.

Now with hunting for a new day job, playing in 2 bands, part-time DJ'ing and having a family, not necessarily in that order, it is all about convenience, versatility, and real-estate. Sooo I have learned to become comfortable with the octave transpose button. But for splits, I would much prefer the 73key C to C.

They are getting rare though, I think the M-50 has them and that is it.

• Members

I rarely play piano but I do a lot of insane keyboard splits. IMPOSSIBLE on a 61 key...

Hmmm... I find this to be a strange statement for a working keyboard player: :rolleyes: "I rarely play piano" - how is it that you're a working keyboard player in a band - rock band, cover band, whatever... and you "rarely play piano" :confused: :confused: Maybe most of it is synth-electronic-organ based but still, once in a while you must have need to play some good old-fashioned acoustic piano parts?

• Members

Hmmm... I find this to be a strange statement for a working keyboard player:
:rolleyes:
"I rarely play piano" - how is it that you're a working keyboard player in a band - rock band, cover band, whatever... and you "rarely play piano"
:confused:
:confused: Maybe most of it is synth-electronic-organ based but still, once in a while you must have need to play some good old-fashioned acoustic piano parts?

Organs, organs, synth, organs, occasional EP, piano, organ, organ, synth, synth, piano, synth, final countdown (ugh), etc.

We do THREE songs out of 4 hours of material that uses exclusively piano - Led Zep - Rock and Roll, Journey - Faithfully, Elton John - Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting. All the rest of combis, splits, and the stuff above.

Didn't say I was proud of that fact, that's just the way it is.

Archived