Steve Albini wrote this

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

People should keep in mind that this article is from Maximum Rock and Roll from around 1994. I know it was from 94, as I had the issue and it came out around the time Cobain off'ed himself and the cover had some guy with a 45 revolver in his mouth with the title "Some of Your Friends May Already be Fxxcked".

I think it is fair to say that things have changed quite a bit since that time. Certain aspects are still valid, but the business environment for selling records/cd's is really different.

After Nirvana, major labels bought up TONS of bands, many of which I don't know what they were smokin' to think they could recoup those fat signing checks. Not to say that all of these band's music was bad, but did Virgin really think it could make big bucks with Royal Trux or whateve label signed someone like Tad? Somebody thought so...and dropped some big cash.

The funny thing is how many bands back then got snapped up by a major and it was like a death kiss, either their existing fan abandoning them or their majors debut was terrible.

I think it is much easier for an indie band to get promotion or distribution now with the internet than it was in the early 90s. I don't think you really even have to consider being on a major label or if you have a track record selling records on an indie, you can get terms that are much more favorable than beforehand.

• Members

Originally posted by NashSG

After Nirvana, major labels bought up TONS of bands, many of which I don't know what they were smokin' to think they could recoup those fat signing checks.

I met an lawyer who has worked with the revolving door of A&R guys in North America. He had told me that back in the 90's, if he had phone a label to check out a band, they'd sometimes sign the band without even seeing a showcase.

It must've been a death-kiss for everyone involved - artists, labels and nearly the industry itself.

• Members
Originally posted by blargh

Yeah, {censored} major labels, record at Steve Albini's studio so he can ruin your album with awful drum sounds and bad mixing
:thu:

I think you mean amzing drum sound, I havent heard anyone get a better sound. The only complaint I could see about his mix's is that the vocals are quite low, but I usually like them like that anyway.

so this is for you:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Owens

whoopie..minus $75K in taxes..split 3 ways whats left is $60K..when you make $60K and your record company makes 3 million..i say {censored} that..

also didnt steve mix nevermind / w/ nirvana.?

as well as some of the soundgarden and AIC.?

he was also involved in subpop i think as well.

he enginneered in utero, someone else did some more mixing after cause Kurt didnt like the way the vocals sounded on some songs.

He didnt do anything with AIC or soundgarden at least that I know of.

He recorded alot of the touch and go bands.

• Members
Originally posted by lefchr

I think you mean amzing drum sound, I havent heard anyone get a better sound. The only complaint I could see about his mix's is that the vocals are quite low, but I usually like them like that anyway.

so this is for you:rolleyes:
:rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

his vocals are always a bit low and i love it. he understands that REAL music enthusiasts are listening to the whole band, not just the lead singer.:thu:

+1 on the benefits of going indie though...

• Members

Originally posted by MRscratch

your kidding right???

i would love to record at the electric. 600$ a day gets you in plus steve.

who would you rather have then?? brenden o brien

and a few others come to mind, but i dont think its 600 a day!!

I'd rather record it myself than have him {censored} my album up. I've never heard anything well-recorded from him, the Pixies albums sound like garbage, he ruined High On Fire's cd with weak ass drums and a bad mix, the Godspeed You Black Emperor albums sound flat and undynamic compared to better-done recordings, and I've heard the Failure guys didn't like how their first album sounds, etc etc. With Albini, you get what you pay for.

I've never understood the "less is more" recording approach... if your music suffers from good recording, it's not good music. I know he has lots of fanboys, but I think he sucks, and I've listened to enough of his stuff through quality speakers to know.

• Members

This is from 94, at the height of CD sales. Now, sales are down, but increased revenue streams from ringtones, legal downloads, etc. have changed the industry.

The key is to keep as many rights as you can, then use THOSE to make your money. No artist makes money off the CDs. Consider it a loss leader to sell all the other stuff.

Moby made his money licensing songs for use in commercials, indie bands make money off the merch, artists write songs for movies, WWF themes, all sorts of stuff.

OK Go! has made all their videos themselves and uploaded them to Youtube for free. Doing things intelligently and cost effectively is the key - a far cry from the excesses of the 70's and 80's.

Major labels have had to strip down as well, as they see talented bands starting their own labels, going indie, and even doing all their own marketing over teh intarwebs. Just be smart,and know what you are doing, and you'll make out fine. Learn how to do as much as you can.

• Members

Originally posted by DeathMonkey

This is from 94, at the height of CD sales. Now, sales are down, but increased revenue streams from ringtones, legal downloads, etc. have changed the industry.

The key is to keep as many rights as you can, then use THOSE to make your money. No artist makes money off the CDs. Consider it a loss leader to sell all the other stuff.

Moby made his money licensing songs for use in commercials, indie bands make money off the merch, artists write songs for movies, WWF themes, all sorts of stuff.

OK Go! has made all their videos themselves and uploaded them to Youtube for free. Doing things intelligently and cost effectively is the key - a far cry from the excesses of the 70's and 80's.

Major labels have had to strip down as well, as they see talented bands starting their own labels, going indie, and even doing all their own marketing over teh intarwebs. Just be smart,and know what you are doing, and you'll make out fine. Learn how to do as much as you can.

spokened like a true professional

Archived