Steve Albini wrote this

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

Hey, this is from an essay of sorts written by Steve Albini, and it would do us a lot of good to read it:

There's this band. They're pretty ordinary, but they're also pretty good, so they've attracted some attention. They're signed to a moderate-sized "independent" label owned by a distribution company, and they have another two albums owed to the label.

They're a little ambitious. They'd like to get signed by a major label so they can have some security

• Members

Originally posted by blargh

Yeah, {censored} major labels, record at Steve Albini's studio so he can ruin your album with awful drum sounds and bad mixing
:thu:

regardless of what you think of him, his points are pretty scary...

I happen to dig some of his records, I respect the rawness, and his ethics

• Members

Yeah, {censored} major labels, record at Steve Albini's studio so he can ruin your album with awful drum sounds and bad mixing

I love his mixing.

But anyway, I think it's called The Problem With Music. It's a pretty popular piece, and that's a good thing cause it says a lot of things that 'young' bands need to hear.

• Members

Originally posted by danbronson

I love his mixing.

But anyway, I think it's called The Problem With Music. It's a pretty popular piece, and that's a good thing cause it says a lot of things that 'young' bands need to hear.

yessir, it's part of "Major Labels: The Problem with Music"

I apologize if it is pretty well read. I didn't know

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

The keep talking about "Points" tho

if someone could explain this, I'd appreciate it... are these like points of credit? or how many times a person is mentioned somewhere?

any help is appreciated

I would guess percentage points.

Tyler

• Members

The keep talking about "Points" tho

if someone could explain this, I'd appreciate it... are these like points of credit? or how many times a person is mentioned somewhere?

any help is appreciated

Points are percentage points (3 points = 3%).

They did seem to get a $250k advance in there somewhere. Don't blow it... ;)

• Members

Originally posted by clay_finley

They did seem to get a $250k advance in there somewhere. Don't blow it...
;)

I'm a {censored}ing tard... :rolleyes:

I should have seen that one. I'm on low sleep and haven't eaten much today... gotta love it. :idea:

• Members

Originally posted by TheBurninator

yeah, I found that a few years ago. made me resolve more than ever to go "indie".

It just made me resolve more than ever to quit my band (which is a touring act on a minor looking to be signed by a major). I was going to anyway though...

If I've learned anything from my limited time in a touring band it's this: DON'T TAKE ON THE MUSIC INDUSTRY UNLESS YOU ARE MARKETABLE - TALENT DOES NOT MATTER. THE MUSIC INDUSTRY HAS VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH MUSIC AND A LOT TO DO WITH MARKETING.

If you're talented and write amazing music but don't have the look/gimmick, your chances of 'making it' are slim to none. Just enjoy the music you make and be happy if you ever make a dime from it.

Although, indie bands can get a surprising amount accomplished these days...

• Members

Originally posted by clay_finley

They did seem to get a $250k advance in there somewhere. Don't blow it...
;)

whoopie..minus $75K in taxes..split 3 ways whats left is $60K..when you make $60K and your record company makes 3 million..i say {censored} that..

also didnt steve mix nevermind / w/ nirvana.?

as well as some of the soundgarden and AIC.?

he was also involved in subpop i think as well.

• Members

what band was this?

I'd rather not say right now (I'm still with them, although it looks like that'll change tomorrow probably).

We're not that popular by any means. We've made a few college radio charts around Canada, toured the country twice (once with me) and done 4 warped tour dates in 2 years. Enough for me to get a taste of the music industry and know I don't like it.

I haven't lost any money to this band (yet), but I've certainly lost a lot of time (in which I could have made several thousand).

• Members

Originally posted by danbronson

Just enjoy the music you make and be happy if you ever make a dime from it.

+1 All the hatred of "evil" record labels stems from the fact that people think they world owes them something. "Boo hoo, I didn't become a multimillionaire like I thought I would." :rolleyes: If you hate big labels so much, then try doing all your own marketing and distributing and see how far you get. If you actually are able to make a few bucks, then count your blessings that somebody deigned to shell out some of their hard-earned cash because they wanted to listen to your music.

• Members

your kidding right???

i would love to record at the electric. 600$ a day gets you in plus steve.

who would you rather have then?? brenden o brien

and a few others come to mind, but i dont think its 600 a day!!

Archived