This has gotta be the most idiotic... (Floyd rose content)

satannica

• Members

This has gotta be the most idiotic most bull{censored} statement I've ever heard in my life:

Floyd Rose bridge - only buy this one if you want to be Eddie Van Halen, it stays in tune but has much lower sustain due to its floating design. No Floyd Rose equiped guitars will have a glued/set in neck as there is too much tension on the joint, so 99% of these are bolt on necks -not the best, but do the job. Rhythm guitarists find these bridges difficult to play as they lean on the bridge and cause a sharpening of the strings.

Source

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I kinda agree with that paragraph. Apart from the EVH bit.

I hate tracking ryth with my Floyd guitar and heavy chugging does sharpen the note.

And you cant do a clean bend with a chord ringing out on other strings as bending notes make the open strings go out of tune.

It is best for lead players...But EVH was pretty down with ryth too.

• Members

Originally posted by satannica

thefyn: Technique? Never had that problem tracking a rhythm part on a floyded axe.

The thing is...I have recently found that pounding strings with lower gain makes it sound better (More agressive). So you get some natural distortion but really chugging hard.

I can do some chugging and keep the trem flat but I wanna let rip!

• Members
Originally posted by thefyn

I hate tracking ryth with my Floyd guitar and heavy chugging does sharpen the note.

And you cant do a clean bend with a chord ringing out on other strings as bending notes make the open strings go out of tune.

It is best for lead players...But EVH was pretty down with ryth too.

:freak: :freak: :freak:

I do all of those things without any of the problems that you mention as do the Thousands of Floyd users out there. Perhaps your problems have nothing to do with the Floyd and everything to do with your technique(or Lack thereof):idea:

• Members

Unless you're pulling back on a trem, which most people I see using trems don't do, how is there more tension on the neck with a trem? Tension is determined by string guage and the pitch tuned to.

• Members
Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

:freak:

I do all of those things without any of the problems that you mention as do the Thousands of Floyd users out there. Perhaps your problems have nothing to do with the Floyd and everything to do with your technique(or Lack thereof)
:idea:

With a clean sound.

Play an open A string.

While it rings bend the high E string up on the 12th fret so both notes sound.

Tell me what happens to the pitch of the A string.

It will not be constant and the note will fluctuate slightly with the bend.

• Members

With a clean sound.

Play an open A string.

Yeah thats the biggest thing about having a floating bridge. It can be irritating sometimes...

• Members
Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

I do all of those things without any of the problems that you mention as do the Thousands of Floyd users out there. Perhaps your problems have nothing to do with the Floyd and everything to do with your technique(or Lack thereof)
:idea:

How true it is!

• Members

Okay okay. Floyd rose trems do not sharpen with heavy chugs.

And bending notes while an open string rings does nothing to the notes.

Great lesson guys

Maybe I do not need a tremsetter because these problems obviously do not exist (Even though that was what the trem setter was invented for.)

Why do you think people put blocks in their floating trems?

• Members

Agree that the article is BS but with palm muting it IS really easy to pull the strings sharp if you rest your hand too hard on or near the bridge. I went through this years ago when I got my first FR guitar after playing a Les Paul for years.

• Members

Okay okay. Floyd rose trems do not sharpen with heavy chugs.

And bending notes while an open string rings does nothing to the notes.

Great lesson guys

Maybe I do not need a tremsetter because these problems obviously do not exist (Even though that was what the trem setter was invented for.)

Why do you think people put blocks in their floating trems?

I have no issues with my guitar going sharp while playing heavy. I actually have a very heavy pick hand and burn through extra heavy picks in a few minutes. I think it has to do with the player more than the tremolo.

I thought people blocked their trems to get a different tone, not because of going sharp.

• Members

I think these problems are common to any floating vibrato setup. I also think that what exacerbates the problem is the two spring- .009s/.008s setup that was common in the 80's.

Seems that the three+ springs and .010s or higher creates enough tension to keep the vibrato stable enough for most chugging.

• Members

With a clean sound.

Play an open A string.

Like I said, Its technique. Of course its going to do that, thats the nature of Floating Floyds. Its up to you to learn how to work around that, thats the reason I brought up technique....

• Members

i have over 20 guitars with original Floyd Rose bridges and whoever wrote that is on crack or just a devoted Les Paul player who hates Floyd Rose :) there are tone differences for sure between set necks, neck thrus and bolt on guitars for sure but moreso in the neck, not the bridge. Too much tension ??/wtf. I've seen several Floyded LP's and I've yet to see one with the neck snapped off because of it :)

I personally don't care for recessed routes. I prefer top mounted floyds set for very little or no pull ups. You can also block upward travel in the trem cavity so the sustin block is resting on some wood. I think it helps the tone of the guitar when the bridge is top mounted and as close to surface of the body. Although I have a couple that are recessed I just think its a bad design to route additional wood around the trem route...tone does suffer imho

Archived