Zakk the bad ass.

Burka Gone Wild

• Members

Originally posted by Burka Gone Wild

No he doesn't. And who really gives a {censored}. It gets boring after a few seconds and it's all for show. Does nothing harmonically.

In another vid he's asked if he sweeps, and he says his wife has him sweeping all {censored}ing day. Really though, he then goes on to say that that's YJM's thing and he has no desire to play anything other than pentatonic shred. He then went on and did a couple of sweeps just to prove that it's really no biggy.

He said a similar thing about tapping. He said that Eddie basically started it and it's his thing. Then he went on and demonstrated a couple taps.

I was just noting how people call him "shredder" all the time and yet things that are in almost all shredder's bag of tricks are completely missing from his music.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't believe people are saying that Zakk wylde has the best vibrato ever. It's fine if you like that sort of thing, but there is a lot more to vibrato than the over-the-top thing that Zakk does - Clapton, Santana, BB King, George Lynch, Hendrix, SRV, Robben Ford, Vai, Yngwie among others all vary their vibrato depending on the mood of the song, rather than doing that spastic thing at every opportunity.

Zakk doesn't sweep arpegggios, but he does use economy picking for the 2NPS stuff. Overall, his picking chops are very Marino/Sykes influenced.

• Members
Originally posted by Burka Gone Wild

Dude, you don't think that Zakk is {censored}ing killing in that vid?

Post some clips.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Did I say anywhere I was better?

:rolleyes:

I was just vocalizing something that I've noticed for a long time.

Oh, now that I see that anyone who doesn't like Zakk Wylde has to "post clips."

My bad.

• Members

Originally posted by Sourze

Not comparable.

You can say that again....Tony Emmanuel's clip actually involves chord changes, rather than just hyper-speed blues riffs. Not saying that Zakk sucks (hell, I wish I could do some of that hyper-speed blues riffage), but Tony's stuff requires a hell of a lot more harmonic knowledge that that stuff on the Zakk clip. One is a piece of music, the other is kind of, ummmm......is "masturbatory" a word?

Not trying to stir the {censored}, I just think that Tony's acoustic performance would be a lot harder to deliver than Zakk's warm-up thing. BTW, I do think that Zakk is a helluva rock guitarist.

• Members
Originally posted by Eye_Of_The_Liger

That Tommy Emmanuel clip was great.

If I want to see a Zakk Wylde clip, I'd rather see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OOrWqIzgxU&mode=related&search=

'Cause he's actually playing one of them watchamacallits...?
:confused:

Oh wait, I just remembered, it's called a SONG!
:idea:

Give me a lobotomy if I EVER have to hear or see that again.

• Members

Originally posted by requiem156

I can't believe people are saying that Zakk wylde has the best vibrato ever. It's fine if you like that sort of thing, but there is a lot more to vibrato than the over-the-top thing that Zakk does - Clapton, Santana, BB King, George Lynch, Hendrix, SRV, Robben Ford, Vai, Yngwie among others all vary their vibrato depending on the mood of the song, rather than doing that spastic thing at every opportunity.

Zakk doesn't sweep arpegggios, but he does use economy picking for the 2NPS stuff. Overall, his picking chops are very Marino/Sykes influenced.

+1

In my book, Lynch and Sykes have the best vibrato...Yngwie is up there too.

Zakk overdoes his....it sounds wankerish....and somebody stick that chorus pedal up his ass.

• Members

Originally posted by bob the dentist

can Zakk sweep pick?

I'm not trying to be a tool.

Although I don't like his stuff generally, I honestly have never heard/seen him sweep pick. I think it would be really hard with the giant ass strings he uses, using an LP, and his "MUST KILL STRINGS" picking style.

If someone could post something with him sweeping it would be greatly appreciated.

I dont know if its on the BLS video, or if I saw it on the guitar.com interview.. but Zakk basically says something along the lines of "I can sweep pick, but that's Yngwies thing, this is how I play". He is obviously very capable of sweep picking, but it doesn't fit into his music at all.

• Members

Originally posted by NoodleFace

I dont know if its on the BLS video, or if I saw it on the guitar.com interview.. but Zakk basically says something along the lines of "I can sweep pick, but that's Yngwies thing, this is how I play". He is obviously very capable of sweep picking, but it doesn't fit into his music at all.

Think he also tends to use hybrid picking in situations where some might use sweeps.

Archived