OK, Recommend me a VIRTUAL ANALOG synth!

Michael Blue

• Members

Brief comments, coming from an admittedly quirky perspective:

NL2 - hated this thing. If you're playing a non evolving sound, it sounds pretty good actually, and the interface is good. But one thing which to my ears makes the Nord stuff very unlike a good analog synth is that the sounds between sounds - the way it sounds when doing heavy modulation - just sounds wrong to me. And I didn't find it a good kind of wrong - it just didn't sound good.

Waldorf: Blofeld vs Q - if the interface and workflow is important, go with the Q. The sounds are different and I wouldn't say that one is better than the other. It sounds like with the Blofeld they aimed for a smoother sound that would sell better, and it almost sounds to me like they were trying to emulate the virus a bit. But it sounds really good to my ears - it's just that the interface, despite the very nice display, isn't up to all of the knobs on the Q. Neither the Q or the Blofeld really sound like an analog synth, though there is some intersection - they are great if you really want to program adventurously. Some rather insane stuff can be programmed with them. I'd also recommend considering the xt - not a va per se, but it can go in that direction also.

Virus - to my ears probably the smoothest of the va sounds. I never liked the interface on these things - to my brain it just wasn't nearly as logical as the Waldorf interface. I did like the 'ti' part - I sold the virus I had a few years ago because at that time there was horrible latency with my DAW, though I hear that this has been corrected. Despite all of the features and modulation routings, I never found it to allow the pure insanity that you can get with the waldorfs. I'd still choose a Q if I wanted a VA (well, I'd choose a Solaris based on the specs and the developer, etc, but I'm not going to spend serge panel $ on a va).

Ion - it's been a long time since I used one - the features are good, the interface isn't bad. The sound isn't bad, but I was disappointed - I found it to be somewhat generic and lacking personality. sure - you can overcome this kind of thing with programming, and it would be noticed less in a mix, but I just didn't find it to be very inspiring as an instrument.

Supernova 2 - I really liked mine. I thought that it was a joy to program, wasn't half bad to look at, etc, and the sound was pretty good.

Radius - I thought that it had a 'big' sound. I didn't much like the interface, and the sound seemed a bit generic to me - but I've never liked the sound of korg instruments.

jp8000 - I remember playing on one a lot when it came out and I didn't like it at all.There was a brittleness to the sound that to my ears was everything that was bad about digital - I suspect that its successors sounded a bit better.

an1x - this is touted for having a very analog sound. It seems to me that they tried to accomplish this by taking off the top end. It sounds ok, but the interface is a bit challenging. Unless you find one cheap, or really like the sound, I wouldn't recommend one.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Brief comments, coming from an admittedly quirky perspective:

Your observations sound pretty spot on with how I'd describe those synths.

I'd only add that the Novation stuff I've tried, while having a good, solid sound, lack a bit in the modulation options for my taste.

The JP8K/8080 was one of the first VA's I got to spend time with after using some analog synths. When anyone uses the term 'plastic' sound, it's the first synth that comes to mind.

Also, I'd agree that while the basic sound of the Ion is flat and characterless, when you takes advantage of its programming options, it's a chameleon.

• Members

How about the Origin, if you dare to go deeper into programming...

Just can't swing $3K or I'd be looking at heavier hitters like this.

I will be using some of their software before it's all said and done though.

It's possible, if I end up with modules for the analog and VA that I'd use their Laboratory controller, too.

~M

• Members

...From the rest of the specs in your initial post, it sounds like you'd be best off buying a controller keyboard, and using it with modules or software.
:idk:

My preference would fit the parameters stated.

What may be available in the real world might be a bit different. (I'm not completely inflexible.)

This will be used in addition to my OASYS, a real analog (ie: Prophet '08, Tetra, etc) and some software. (Most of my other existing equipment is for sale.)

...Looking to cover bases to form a solid foundation for future growth.

Didn't think this was a terribly difficult concept, and I've been pretty flexible to most suggestions.

Ideally I'd find a nice 49+ key VA with aftertouch to use AS a primary "synth" controller, instead of adding another bare controller in addition to the VA.

~M

• Members

My preference would fit the parameters stated.

What may be available in the real world might be a bit different. (I'm not completely inflexible.)

This will be used in addition to my OASYS, a real analog (ie: Prophet '08, Tetra, etc) and some software. (Most of my other existing equipment is for sale.)

...Looking to cover bases to form a solid foundation for future growth.

Didn't think this was a terribly difficult concept, and I've been pretty flexible to most suggestions.

Ideally I'd find a nice 49+ key VA with aftertouch to use AS a primary "synth" controller, instead of adding another bare controller in addition to the VA.

Well I agree to a point. If you're going to buy a keyboard, buy an analog or VA with all the dedicated controls at your fingertips. Barring cost as a factor, it doesn't make sense to buy a VA as a module and control it with a separate and far less dynamic controller. Save the rack units for ROMplers.

Where I disagree with you is your assumption that by asking "What is the best X to buy?" "What is the best Y to buy" "What is the best Z to buy" you're necessarily going to end up with the best, most flexible rig. Of course, the answers to those questions are subjective and depend on what you're going to use them for. Even assuming each question can be answered objectively, they still may not necessarily be the best pieces of gear to buy together, especially if they overlap significantly in sonic territory.

• Members

OB-12

49 keys, tons of knobs and sliders, all parameters drawn out on the LCD screen. And it's BLUE! REALLY BLUE!

I wish I had the time and motivation to make mine sound like this.

I'm still mad at Viscount about that synth. It was just shy of greatness.

• Members

...Where I disagree with you is your assumption that by asking "What is the best X to buy?" "What is the best Y to buy" "What is the best Z to buy" you're necessarily going to end up with the best, most flexible rig...

That's not my assumption at all.

I'm quite aware of my lack of knowledge when it comes to the vast array of gear available out there,

so all I'm looking for is input from people who very likely have varied and differing experiences and opinions,

in order to be exposed to gear I may not have considered.

And it's working.

You guys have come through with some synths I hadn't thought of, a few I didn't even know existed,

and a bevy of fantastic opinions on how they function and sound.

Yes, it's all subjective, but it gives me a starting point to do a lot more research on my own.

...Whether I can piece together the right setup for me from all of this is up to me.

• Members

If S&TG has another gathering, I can re-bring my RADIAS as well as my PC dedicated to soft synths to give you some play time with 'em. If you are open to soft synths and a good controller, this gives you unlimited possibilities to get what you are looking for.

• Members

Yup, software is the 2nd half (hardware/software) and 4th facet (hardware: ROMpler/workstation, analog, VA. Software) to all of this, and I'm actively looking at some options there as well.

Just like the synths though, I'm going to go for something well-rounded (Komplete 7) first, then start looking at specific-purpose software packages (symphonic choirs, ethno, etc).

I'm really and truly starting over with nothing but the OASYS (well, and StudioOne Pro) as a basis and building a foundation on what I consider to be core components necessary to what I want to be doing.

Here it is, I've been wanting for some time now to seriously branch out into several distinct areas of the business (multi-genre production, scoring, etc) and I need to be very well-rounded to do that effectively.

So, I'm wanting to begin building with the basics in hardware (ROMpler/workstation, analog, VA) and then software (Komplete, then others) and even some "hybrid" equipment, like Maschine.

Once I'm familiar and comfortable with the basic building blocks I'll be starting with, I'll begin to expand more, with maybe a Mono unit or two (really like the Mopho), other VAs/racks, more software, etc. You get the idea.

But the point is to balance out and then to build evenly, so if a client needs orchestral scoring, or something more old-school and analog sounding (or both. :) ), I have the capability to provide that.

There is a laundry list as long as my arm of equipment I'd like to pick up before I'm done, but that's why I have to focus on balance; I don't have $50K to just buy it all at once, and I don't think it'd be prudent to do so, even if I could.

I hope that makes more sense. :)

~M

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Thread, back from the dead.

Update: the Oasys part of this equation will be replaced with a Kronos 88.

I want an 88-key workstation, the Kronos does nearly everything the O does (and some of it better)...

But most importantly, it plays nice with the DAW via USB, which the big O does not.

Still looking for a VA to use as a primary synth controller.

I've fallen in love with the Blofeld, but the lack of USB integration with the DAW really kills it for me...

This is one of the primary reasons for moving from the O to the Kronos, and it just doesn't make sense to buy something new with the same shortcoming.

The Ultranova looks very promising, I just wish they'd made it with more keys.

The Blofeld seems to me to be a much more capable machine, but the Ultranova has full USB integration.

I've take a few weeks to really look at almost everything else posted, and I can't find another suitable synth.

Most have no USB, most have no aftertouch, many are older units that could only be found used on eBay or Craigslist, if you're willing to go through all that.

The Nord Lead has no aftertouch or USB, the Nord Wave fits perfectly to what I'm looking for, except it's double my budget.

(Does the Wave remind anyone else of the Blofeld with more controls?!)

I am going to look into a Radias (possibly on the M3 keybed) before I decide.

In the end, I'm leaning heavily towards just getting an Arturia Laboratory or Ultranova for now, and saving up for a Nord Wave or a USB-integrated Blofeld replacement, if they make one.

For anyone following the "true analog" thread, leaning pretty heavily towards a Prophet '08 or lightly used PolyEvolver, but either will have to wait for a bit.

The Kronos swap is killing part of my budget and I still want to pick up Komplete 7 and possibly Maschine to go with all this.

Thanks for all your help, any more input is still greatly appreciated!

~M

• Members

roland gaia sh01 would be my choice for hands on VA patch creation with all those dedicated controls, the blofeld is also quite nice sounding for a VA, i'm not a great fan of editing it though also reading the nightmares on updating the o/s on the blofeld has put me off ever trying to...i don't want a dead blofeld after going for an update...the usb side of the blofeld seems pretty poo as well.

• Members

After my experience with the toy-like SH-201, it'll be a while before I trust Roland with anything in this price range again.

Besides, not enough keys and no aftertouch.

I dunno if I mentioned this, but I'm also specifically looking for pitch and modulation wheels, not a joystick.

MANY of the VSTs I'll be running have filters/effects routed to the mod wheel and a joystick doesn't work for slow movements or leaving it at a specific setting.

• Members

Virus TI, I can't think any alternatives for the features you request: keyboard action, knob count / interface, USB integration, librarian /editor, effects, updates etc.

Yes, it is costlier, but consider this, you'll be using and won't be selling it for a long time.

I don't know how much GAS you guys/gals have but, getting high end equipment/software with nice features usually results with a longer usage.

Archived