OK, Recommend me a VIRTUAL ANALOG synth!

Michael Blue

• Members

(If you'd rather recommend real analog, post up here http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2713542-Recommend-me-a-REAL-ANALOG-synth)

OK, I had the thread looking for a REAL ANALOG synth, but that's only part of the picture.

I'm also looking for a VA Synth...Requirements are...

* 49+ FULL SIZE keys w/aftertouch (no MicroKorgs, etc)

* Polyphonic (duh. :) )

* MIDI (separate from USB)

* USB connection (MIDI/library/editor, etc)

* Nearly "knob-per-function" interface; not a lot of menus

* Affordable and available

Already looking at a lot (Blofeld, UltraNova, etc) but there are a TON of synths in this range and I'm certain you guys will recommend something I've not considered.

Thanks!

~M

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Since VA's usually have tons more flexibility than real analog, finding one with a high parameters-to-knobs ratio might be difficult. I'll go ahead and recommend the Virus TI (again), although you'll need a little bit of menu diving if you want to program it directly. It's got a lovely VST editor, though, if you'd rather.

• Members

Virus-best VA in terms of sound and features.

Ridiculous amount of presets (7000!)

Tight integration with any existing DAW setup.

THe only piece of hardware that i still have in my studio (other than my trusty Kurzweil MIDI Board)

• Members

49 keys rules out any Virus, Supernova/2, AN1X and so on. AT rules out things like the NL2 and Alesis Ion (which both have 49 keys).

The only ones I can think of that have both 49 keys and AT (pretty sure anyways), are the Nord Lead 3 and Blofeld.

The Sirius is pretty cool, but I don't know if it has AT - it's not mentioned in this SOS review: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct98/articles/quasisirus.html Also, it was made around 1997/1998, so I don't think it'll have usb.

Oops - just noticed you said 49+ keys. In that case, I'd say go ahead and splurge on a Virus. You don't need to get the TI2, the original TI can do everything the 2 can (so far).

• Members

Aftertouch isn't a necessity.

That said, Alesis' own website show the Ion having polyphonic aftertouch, is this false? (http://www.alesis.com/ion click on "specs".)

Basically, as close as we can get to those requirements is what I'm looking for.

Back to the Virus, I'd kill for a Polar TI, but for the money...I'd hate to have to control a $2,500 synth with a $300 controller because of a lack of keys.

Thanks!

• Members

Aftertouch isn't a necessity.

That said, Alesis' own website show the Ion having polyphonic aftertouch, is this false? (
http://www.alesis.com/ion
click on "specs".)

Basically, as close as we can get to those requirements is what I'm looking for.

Back to the Virus, I'd kill for a Polar TI, but for the money...I'd hate to have to control a $2,500 synth with a $300 controller because of a lack of keys.

Thanks!

Pretty sure that the Ion can recieve polyAT, but can't generate it from the keys. I have an Ion, but have never tried sending it polyAT. :idk:

• Members

I think the Ion, like the Fusion, responds to poly aftertouch, even though its own keybed doesn't provide it. But it's part of the mod matrix.

Something tells me you won't be satisfied with any VA other than a Virus though, due to it having a more polished sound. I mean, I remember when you called the SH-201 a "piece of crap" - but it's not the only VA to have an aggressively digital sound - just the more digitally aggressive I guess - a lot of 2000s VAs had it, like Novation KS series, and even Supernova and JP8000 can sound pretty aggressive/non-analog - it just depends on whether you want to push its buttons or not, if you do they'll probably try to bite you back :). Meaning, things are smooth if you stay within the sweet spot, in pretty much any VA...

Anyway, I think you'd like the smoother side of the Virus and the capacity to add good quality effects per parts in your presets. If you can't go for the TI, get the KC. I think they're in the 800 dollar range these days. It's a 32-voice monster-synth with 3-osc + 1sub per voice with dedicated effects per part in each one of the 16 multi-timbral parts of it!

• Members

Virus TI: if you like dark sounds, lots of patches and support, great keybed too, but at the cost of your right testicle.

Nord Wave: Great board, but this one will cost you your left testicle.

Nord Lead 2X: if you want the most versatile VA out there at a cost of a terrible patch finding system and no aftertouch.

JP8000: if you want the second most versatile VA out there

Radias: if you want the most bang for your buck and or a "future" sound sheen to your works.

Ultranova: the good and bad isn't out on this puppy yet but it looks promising.

Blofeld: It's a goody but there's still a few kinks that need to be ironed out.

• Members

I'll put my vote in for the Korg Radias.

Tweakable knobs, sub-menus for deep editing, an arpeggiator, two linkable 16-step sequencers, a modulation sequencer, six virtual patches per timbre, etc.

It can be had with or without a 49 note keyboard, has midi in, out, and thru, as well as USB, assignable outs, and a vocoder.

Given that it's been discontinued, it can be had for a pretty reasonable price, at least for now.

I agree with others who have speculated that the Radias will be thought of as one of those instruments that didn't get it's full due

when it was in production but ends up becoming a cult item some years from now. I've never thought of it as only a dance/trace/

techno machine in the years that I've had it. With the right programming, I think it's quite flexible and would definitely fit your

requirements at a good price.

• Members

Nord Lead 2X: if you want the
most versatile
VA out there at a cost of a terrible patch finding system and no aftertouch.

The NL2 sounds great, and has a super easy to use interface.

I gotta' disagree with the 'most versatile' comment though, especially when you compare it to something like the Ion.

• Members

I might be selling an Alesis Ion sometime in the future, but not until tax time when people are flush (I'm not in a hurry - just want to make some room and take back the Carvin acoustic amp/mini PA I am letting my son use with it). It is a nice synth that I was keeping around for my son to play but he has split his time thoroughly between drums and acoustic piano and seems to have lost interest in it. He might squawk if I tell him I am going to sell it though.

• Members

The NL2 sounds great, and has a super easy to use interface.

I gotta' disagree with the 'most versatile' comment though, especially when you compare it to something like the Ion.

There is no VA that has been used successfully in more music genres than the Nord Lead 2. Professional and/or Semi-professional. The only other contender and close second is the JP8000. My meaning of versatility is the amount of sheer musicians that have been able to make the instrument work successfully for them.

The Ion is and WAS a joke compared.

• Members

There is no VA that has been used successfully in more music genres than the Nord Lead 2. Professional and/or Semi-professional. The only other contender and close second is the JP8000. My meaning of versatility is the amount of sheer musicians that have been able to make the instrument work successfully for them.

OK - you mean popular.

I'd agree with that.

• Members

Calling the Ion a joke is harsh; you really can't compare it to the VA's you mentioned. It was less expensive than those two synths, but does offer some excellent programming possibilities. I'd prefer to call it a "diamond in the rough."

I think if Alesis had added better effects and a sturdier keybed (plus wooden end cheeks), :) the Ion would be a more sough-after synth.

:cool:

• Members

Usually, when I think of "versatility", I think "flexibility". Nord Leads, if I recall, were not the most flexible synth out there, ditto for the JP8000.

Of course, they were very popular VAs. But if you want popular *and* flexible, I'd give the nod to the Access Virus, which I personally think has been used successfully in more music genres than the JP8000 at this point.

Archived