Talk to me about the Peavey Classic 50/50 Poweramp

SFW

• Members

So as you know, I recently purchased a Mesa/Boogie Triaxis. At the time, I blew most of the money in my budget on the preamp- so I picked up a used ADA Micro Tube 200 poweramp. The poweramp is "ok" at best for the tones that I am striving for. I eventually plan to get the Mesa Simul 2:90 poweramp, as it was made to go with the Triaxis. However, that probably won't be for a while. I recently ran across a really good deal on a Peavey Classic 50/50 poweramp. My question is: how much "thump" can I expect from 100 watts of EL84 power? I know it won't be the same as 180 watts of 6L6 power, but will it sound like a 100 watt monster? I want something warm and full sounding. My only experience with EL84s has been small wattage amps (usually under 30 watts), so I don't know if the 50/50 will have the low end response that I am looking for. Of course, I could just be over thinking this whole process, as the 50/50 will surely sound better than the ADA. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Joel

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by SFW

So as you know, I recently purchased a Mesa/Boogie Triaxis. At the time, I blew most of the money in my budget on the preamp- so I picked up a used ADA Micro Tube 200 poweramp. The poweramp is "ok" at best for the tones that I am striving for. I eventually plan to get the Mesa Simul 2:90 poweramp, as it was made to go with the Triaxis. However, that probably won't be for a while. I recently ran across a really good deal on a Peavey Classic 50/50 poweramp. My question is: how much "thump" can I expect from 100 watts of EL84 power? I know it won't be the same as 180 watts of 6L6 power, but will it sound like a 100 watt monster? I want something warm and full sounding. My only experience with EL84s has been small wattage amps (usually under 30 watts), so I don't know if the 50/50 will have the low end response that I am looking for. Of course, I could just be over thinking this whole process, as the 50/50 will surely sound better than the ADA. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Joel

Joel-

Used to own one, and it sounded pretty good. I mated it up with a Mesa Boogie Studio preamp, so I'm sure your Triaxis would sound good.

However, here's the caveat; It is built EXTREMELY poorly. The tubes sit in a daughterboard that is perpendicular to the Main motherboard of the Amp. that's how they get it to be 2RU. Think of it like a computer PCI Slot that then has 8 tubes sticking out of it. Then those tubes rest in rubber rings of another perpendicularly mounted card etc. It's not reliable. I had the Amp go down twice, and that was enough for me.

I would go with the 50/50.

-Todd A.

• Members

Ive owned the 50/50 for 12 years with zero problems.Even with schepping it around to gigs for over a 1 1/2 before retiring it to the music room. (went back to heads/combos/pedalboard)Tube mounting isnt an issue as they are securely mounted/retained. Lot of punch with it hooked up to two 2x12 cabs too. Global presence and resonance controls help with tone shaping. Ive buy another in a heartbeat but as mine is still going strong theres no need!:)

• Members

Originally posted by StevePage

It's true. I had the Peavey 50/50 too and it became a pain in the arse, which is why I sold it off. It's easy to damage valves with the poweramp as it's hard to pull the valves out without hitting anything else inside.

:confused: Got to defend whats been a great power amp! You can damage ANY power tubes if your not careful removing them. Especially in a head where if you allow it to the valve will slam the top of the cab. Its all about being careful. I replacing the ones in my 50/50 about 5 times since it was new without incident.

• Members

I have the 2nd version, the one without the pink/green cosmetics. I haven't had any reliability problems and I have not changed one thing in it since I got it. Meaning tubes, which looked to be original when I was blowing the dust out after I bought it.

It has this "Resonance" control...it's got enough thump, son.

• Members

Originally posted by rockon1000

12 years,5 tube changes and going strong!
;)

2yxqjy9.jpg

-I had one like this one, think there's a later one with gold cosmetics to match one their preamps but the circuit is the same as the one with green writing. The Classic 50/50 is a good preamp. I owned it along with a Carvin TS-100 and I sold the TS-100, the 50/50 was much better sounding. What I didn't like about the TS-100 was that you had to have the volumes over 12 o'clock to get any decent volume; seriously.

The TS-100 has good construction, though. The Peavey construction does indeed have the vertical tube mounted circuit board that The Chinese mentioned. If you're not careful, you could snap that board if you get careless removing tubes. Also, the amp has, IIRC, 5-6 fuses and you can't get some of them at Radio Shack; have to go to a real electronics supply store to get them, at least I did.

Otherwise, a great sounding preamp for the price. It sounded more lively and punchy than the TS-100 I had running 4 6L6's. So, if you can get it for under $300, might be cool for you. Then again, don't know how much the power amp is that you want but you might want to just be patient and save up for that.

• Members

Glad to hear others have had better luck than I. I personally think highly of Peavey gear; this unit is not up to the same typpe standard that I'm used to seeing from Peavey. I used to have a classic 50 that got so beat upon but worked flawlessly every night.

Ymmv.

-Todd A.

• Members

Originally posted by The Chinese

Glad to hear others have had better luck than I. I personally think highly of Peavey gear; this unit is not up to the same typpe standard that I'm used to seeing from Peavey. I used to have a classic 50 that got so beat upon but worked flawlessly every night.

Ymmv.

-Todd A.

Basically the same standard -tubes sockets mounted directly to the board. Thats how they do virtually all their amps. It shouldnt really be an issue.As you probably noticed they hold the tubes very securely at the other end. Sorry you had poor luck with yours. What happened to yours ?

• Members

I should mention I have the Peavey with JJ tubes and it is great but I have yet to gig with it. I jumped into this thread because it was recommended I get the Mesa 50/50 for the added punch from the 6L6 tubes and the stronger low end. The thing is, our band has two guitarists and a monster bassist....so I am not sure what I would gain buy selling my Peavey and getting the Mesa.

What I hear is that EL84s really have to be pushed to get near the current and power capacity of EL34s or 6L6s. I guess the current level of the EL84 driven amps do not pack as much of a punch. Maybe the Peavey could not compete per watt with something like the Mesa, but it seems guys here like the Peavey better than the Mesa or Carvin...so I guess it really is a total preference.

• Members

Originally posted by richedie

I should mention I have the Peavey with JJ tubes and it is great but I have yet to gig with it. I jumped into this thread because it was recommended I get the Mesa 50/50 for the added punch from the 6L6 tubes and the stronger low end. The thing is, our band has two guitarists and a monster bassist....so I am not sure what I would gain buy selling my Peavey and getting the Mesa.

What I hear is that EL84s really have to be pushed to get near the current and power capacity of EL34s or 6L6s. I guess the current level of the EL84 driven amps do not pack as much of a punch. Maybe the Peavey could not compete per watt with something like the Mesa, but it seems guys here like the Peavey better than the Mesa or Carvin...so I guess it really is a total preference.

Yeah a lot of emphasis is put on bass but in the mix a guitar is all mids. That said the Peavey delivers plenty of midrange punch. let us know how it goes. :)

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger

great power amp.

punchy, warm, loud,

great deal.

I thought it ate the mesa 2:fifty for breakfast.
:thu:

That's kinda interesting, it seems in general the Mesa 50/50 and 2:fifty are generally not regarded as highly as their other power amps (in fact I have often heard people saying the tone of the 20/20 is superior)

• Members

Originally posted by richedie

Thanks guys....but now you all have me thinking I should look into a 2:90 or even a VHT!

he he Back in my day... the 2150 VHT was considered the crown jewel of the Poweramps. However, the 2:90 didn't exist yet, and nor did the 2:100.

If you are a metal guy, do yourslef a favor and check out the 2:100 it is one of the best Power amps I've heard for that kinda stuff.

-Todd A.

• Members

Originally posted by rockon1000

Basically the same standard -tubes sockets mounted directly to the board. Thats how they do virtually all their amps. It shouldnt really be an issue.As you probably noticed they hold the tubes very securely at the other end. Sorry you had poor luck with yours. What happened to yours ?

It just died. I remember when i was at Berklee i was setting up for a show and turned it on...Nothing. I had to scramble to my friends house and borrow his Mesa 295. That was the first time. Got it repaired, then a coupla months later back in L.A. - nothing. So I called it quits, and actually got out of the rack game at that point.

basically what the tecs were telling me is that the daughterboard was vibrating loose and then the contact were arc'ing. no bueno.

-Todd A.

• Members

Originally posted by The Chinese

he he Back in my day... the 2150 VHT was considered the crown jewel of the Poweramps. However, the 2:90 didn't exist yet, and nor did the 2:100.

If you are a metal guy, do yourslef a favor and check out the 2:100 it is one of the best Power amps I've heard for that kinda stuff.

-Todd A.

Those amps are HUGE though. I think they're 4 spaces. :D

power-amp-4.gif

I wouldn't mind having 1 though. ;)

• Members

Loved the Classic 50/50 for a few years with my Rock Master. Very good midrangy tone.

I A/B'ed it with a Classic 60/60 (4 x 6L6s)and sold it soon after. Even though it's three spaces, HEAVY, the volume is

in the back, and there are no presence or resonance controls, the 60/60's tone thru two Mesa Thiele w/EVM was punchier and the highs extended.

Jun

Archived