Mesa Stiletto Clip

thefyn

• Members

Originally posted by thefyn

I think compared to El34's, 6l6's there is CLARITY. I know with this amp I can cut through with even the fastest downtuned madness and still get the tune across. I think I am a convert. I could be wrong, because the tung sol pres in there also makes an amp focussed. All I know, is that I LOVE THIS AMP.

It does require a boost to get the best out of it. A tube screamer would be perfect because you actually want to cut some bass/flab (and that is what a YJM does, robs bass in exchange for punch) Which is fine because without a boost it can sound a bit saggy.

The real clincher for me is the cleans. They are sublime.

I have tubes coming for my triple recto soon. I was expecting the triple to be my fav for this style...But it has a lot to live up to! (It blew a tube when I switched it on so I have not risked playing it yet) :-(

whoa wait, what power tubes u got in your stilleto? 6l6s??? or kt77s?

how do u like the tungsols preamps? did they thicken and warm up your amp compared to the stock mesas?

• Members

I am basing my triple recto gas on Testaments use of the triple. I think he used a tube screamer with one. And my OD does the same thing as a tube screamer (only not quite as nice)

I think worst case the blend of the 2 recorded will be my recording set up. I will get the tubes today or tomorrow so I will update you.

I'll be bringing both amps over for thanksgiving if you fancy bringing yours and having an amp fest..hehe

i told dave i was gonna stop by later on that night around 7-8 oclock and chill with dave and nate, so if you are there, ill bring my ole VHT UL head and cab over, and you can drool if you would like :D sounds like a plan ;)

chris

• Members

Originally posted by inkwachemis

whoa wait, what power tubes u got in your stilleto? 6l6s??? or kt77s?

how do u like the tungsols preamps? did they thicken and warm up your amp compared to the stock mesas?

Tung sols do not warm up an amp. I would use JJ pres for that. It has the KT77 JJ power tubes in mine along with the tung sol pres.

Tung Sols are GREAT for tight ryths. Not so good for warmth and solos. Unless you like biting solos.

• Members
Originally posted by guitarist17

i told dave i was gonna stop by later on that night around 7-8 oclock and chill with dave and nate, so if you are there, ill bring my ole VHT UL head and cab over, and you can drool if you would like
:D
sounds like a plan
;)

chris

Cool. Its a man date people.

• Members

Tung sols do not warm up an amp. I would use JJ pres for that. It has the KT77 JJ power tubes in mine along with the tung sol pres.

Tung Sols are GREAT for tight ryths. Not so good for warmth and solos. Unless you like biting solos.

thanks for the info. I just bought a couple tungsols and a few JJs from dougs tubes. I'll mix and match the order with my other tubes to find a mix i like. I also got winged =c= el34s. gonna stick with that for now and try those kt77s later for sure. thanks for the info man!

• Members
Originally posted by inkwachemis

thanks for the info. I just bought a couple tungsols and a few JJs from dougs tubes. I'll mix and match the order with my other tubes to find a mix i like. I also got winged =c= el34s. gonna stick with that for now and try those kt77s later for sure. thanks for the info man!

Yep...That is the mix I like. I have a mix of JJ's and Tung Sol pres in my triple recto. Tell me how those el34's work out.:thu:

• Members

Sound good, but what's that weird fizzy trail when you hold on the palm mutes?

This is exactly why I sold my Tremoverb a few years ago, and why I never used the Ld 1 Red on the Triaxis. Didn't think Stilettos did that too.

Maybe you're just using too much gain :D

• Members
Originally posted by Hardtailed

Sound good, but what's that weird fizzy trail when you hold on the palm mutes?

This is exactly why I sold my Tremoverb a few years ago, and why I never used the Ld 1 Red on the Triaxis. Didn't think Stilettos did that too.

Maybe you're just using too much gain

That is my fav bit. I love the overtones I get when I hold the chug. I like the way that the speaker responds and wows.

Ear of the beholder etc.

• Members

Lol...I go on a rant about the clarity and you think it is muddy? Ah well.
:thu:

Just goes to show how subjective the world of guitar tones is.

I liked it but it was a little fzzy/boomy and slightly muddy too as well but in good way that to me sounded good for what was being played.

Derek

• Members

That is my fav bit. I love the overtones I get when I hold the chug. I like the way that the speaker responds and wows.

Ear of the beholder etc.

The lower-bass regions on the Stiletto's Fluid Drive mode are a tad loose, but still responsive. If you really make sure to mute the strings, you won't notice the 'boom' as much. The Version 2 Stiletto supposedly tightened this up. I still like it :D I kinda miss mine, now. :cry:

Maybe I'll get a Stiletto Ace! :idea:

• Members
Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X

The lower-bass regions on the Stiletto's Fluid Drive mode are a tad loose, but still responsive. If you really make sure to mute the strings, you won't notice the 'boom' as much. The Version 2 Stiletto supposedly tightened this up. I still like it
I kinda miss mine, now.
:cry:

Maybe I'll get a Stiletto Ace!
:idea:

The Yngwie Pedal tames the bass in person.

I think it may be my headphones ($20 headphones were used for mixing). The bass sounds fine on these. Looks like it did not travel well to other speakers :freak:

Archived