What's Dave Smith cooking up? TEMPEST!

ElectricPuppy

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hey i'm not into trombones much but i don't go and actively post on trombone forums just how much i don't want one...unless i've missed a meeting it's not a new law coming i that we have to buy and use a tempest... ;^)

each to their own...if it's not your cuppa tea then fine...don't get your wallet out.

i can see some argument towards pricing..it's not a impulse purchase with a 2K pricetag but it offers some stuff that no one else does, it's not the only new analogue drum machine out there, there's offerings from MFB but they are different beasts.

one thing that i still want is a VA synth/drum machine that sounds as good as a real analogue one...

they still havn't managed to make one in my view and so this is WHY real analogue still has it's place in 2011.

• Members

The things that attract me to this product is that it's very performance oriented, compact enough to tote, and doesn't copy the 808/909 concept. SO much of the other analog drum machines just copy the 808/909, and/or are not very portable.

I have issue with Dave Smith's analog lowpass filters but the adjustments made for this drum machine sound better to me over the videos and the inclusion of a highpass filter might help greatly for my uses.

And, it sounds great to me. I want to see what the full 1.0 OS will offer but given what I already have, I really won't be heartbroken if it can't load samples. I figure Roger Linn's joint will cover that .

I'm happy that I'll have a modern analog drum machine to create unique sounds on that I can easily use while on the go.

P.S. And it can be rack mounted. :D

• Members

hey i'm not into
trombones
much but i don't go and actively post on trombone forums just how much i don't want one...unless i've missed a meeting it's not a new law coming i that we have to buy and use a tempest... ;^)

right on, i'm just trying to understand why everyone thinks it's *so* fantastic and a must-have item. i was pretty surprised when it was announced (well, not really, it's been in the works for at least a few years now), and think it looks great overall. there's just a number of things that i would find pretty limiting, especially considering the hefty price tag, and thought they might be worth mentioning to prospective buyers.

one thing i'm forgetting though, is that each voice also contains two digital (sample) oscillators, which certainly expand the flexibility of the machine.

• Members

Feel free to ask me any questions about the machine and I'll answer as best I can!

In regards to the ADSR envelope questions: there is a button in the envelope section, currently labelled 'sustain' that switches the envelopes from AD to ADSR and back again

• Members

Feel free to ask me any questions about the machine and I'll answer as best I can!

In regards to the ADSR envelope questions: there is a button in the envelope section, currently labelled 'sustain' that switches the envelopes from AD to ADSR and back again

I just wanted to confirm that the Tempest is also a 6 voice analog synth besides being a drum machine and it's also going to be possible to be rackmountable?

• Members

Yes. I have a few questions. You see, I am a big fan of the TR808 and I'm just obsessed with the bass that comes out of that bad boy. As a matter or fact, I have more than one. However, the parameters for the bass drum on the original unmodified 808 are limited in sonic range. For example, you can't tune the bass drum and the bass drum has a limited decay rate and pitch env range. However, I don't won't to have my 808 modded and risk it not functioning properly in the future (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) with the exception of a professionally installed MIDI retrofit. Plus the fact that it's a classic.

Therefore, I have a great interest in the Tempest because it's ANALOG!!! and it's a different beast that will allow me to create other types of analog percussion sounds. However, I'm also interested in whether it's capable of faithfully reproducing very convincing and almost authentic 808-type bass drums (notice I said ALMOST authentic) but with very flexible synth-like parameters that I wouldn't find on an 808. If so, the TR808 and Tempest would be a great combo.

So here are my questions:

1. Does the Tempest voice engine allow you to modulate the oscillator frequency to an ASDR so I could have an adjustable pitch env for the bass drum?

2. Are the analog oscillators on the Tempest capable of reproducing/emulating a TR808 kickdrum that sounds so close to a real TR808 kickdrum or TR808 kickdrum sample that you can almost not be able to tell a difference? If you don't have access to a real 808, a comparison to a TR808 bass drum sample will be sufficient.

I completely understand that this is a TEMPEST, not a TR808 or TR808 clone, nor was it meant to be. However, I was only wondering if its analog synth engine can atleast reproduce the TR808 kickdrum. Based on the specs, it seems like it should be capable. If so, it would compliment my original TR808 very nicely!!!!!

Nothing like good analog bass to tear up your subwoofers!!!!

Thanks.

• Members

Absolutely also a 6 voice synth. We didn't remove any features (with the sole exception of moving two LFOs to Envelopes) from our typical synth voice, just added a few things for drums.

It is slimmer than a rack size but I don't know if we'll be including rack ears. You can certainly make some to fit pretty easily

I just wanted to confirm that the Tempest is also a 6 voice analog synth besides being a drum machine and it's also going to be possible to be rackmountable?

• Members

1. Yes, there is even a dedicated pitch envelope. You can modulate either all oscillator frequencies, or a single frequency with it. The envelope can be either AD or ADSR. You can also assign the aux 1 and/or 2 envelopes to pitch, or use one of the 8 modulators. Lot of flexibility

2. I've gotten some very similar kicks to the classic 808 (which I am VERY familiar with) and a lot of them that, quite frankly, I think sound better. It really depends on HOW close you want to get. It's not the same circuit, nor waveform, so there will always be some degree of difference.

1. Does the Tempest voice engine allow you to modulate the oscillator frequency to an ASDR so I could have an adjustable pitch env for the bass drum?

2. Are the analog oscillators on the Tempest capable of reproducing/emulating a TR808 kickdrum that sounds so close to a real TR808 kickdrum or TR808 kickdrum sample that you can almost not be able to tell a difference? If you don't have access to a real 808, a comparison to a TR808 bass drum sample will be sufficient.

I completely understand that this is a TEMPEST, not a TR808 or TR808 clone, nor was it meant to be. However, I was only wondering if its analog synth engine can atleast reproduce the TR808 kickdrum. Based on the specs, it seems like it should be capable. If so, it would compliment my original TR808 very nicely!!!!!

Nothing like good analog bass to tear up your subwoofers!!!!

Thanks.

• Members

1. Yes, there is even a dedicated pitch envelope. You can modulate either all oscillator frequencies, or a single frequency with it. The envelope can be either AD or ADSR. You can also assign the aux 1 and/or 2 envelopes to pitch, or use one of the 8 modulators. Lot of flexibility

2. I've gotten some very similar kicks to the classic 808 (which I am VERY familiar with) and a lot of them that, quite frankly, I think sound better. It really depends on HOW close you want to get. It's not the same circuit, nor waveform, so there will always be some degree of difference.

Wow!!! Thanks for your quick response!!!

The Tempest may not be the machine for everyone but it is definitely the machine for me. I had a Jomox MBase and a Novation Drumstation and they both lacked in one way or another. Jomox 808 kicks weren't deep enough and didn't sound authentic enough. The Drumstation had limited decay that's not long enough (for me) and no adjustable pitch env, plus it isn't true analog. I believe the Tempest shines where the other two failed in the 808 kick drum department. I've been looking for an analog alternative to the real 808 that can faithfully reproduce 808 kicks with more tweakability (so I can stop using 808 kick drum samples) for the longest and now it is finally here!!! I've got to get me one of these!!!!!! The ultimate bass machine!!!!!

Here's one last question I forgot to include in my previous post. Can you play the 808 kick chromatically up and down the pads (via 16 tunings like the MPC) or external MIDI keyboard at different pitches? It seems like it can based on the demo.

Thank you so much for your response to my previous questions. Have a great day.

• Members

Absolutely also a 6 voice synth. We didn't remove any features (with the sole exception of moving two LFOs to Envelopes) from our typical synth voice, just added a few things for drums.

It is slimmer than a rack size but I don't know if we'll be including rack ears. You can certainly make some to fit pretty easily

Thank you.

Now would you be so kind as to reserve serial number 0007 for me? :D

• Members

Re encoders.. looks like your saying all are, so its not like a Mopho KeyBD with most pots and encoders only where parameters suit...

No, it's a mix of click and clickless encoders (sorry I wasn't clear on that before). I'm sure the parameters assigned to the click encoders make sense (when I demoed it I didn't really pay attention to which knob did what, I just tried them to see if any had clicks), but if I were to use it as a midi controller I'd want all clickless encoders. Anyways, like I said it's a small issue especially when you consider its all-around awesomeness. It has a great "jam" feeling to it when playing in "arrange" mode.

Question for Pym_DSI: When playing patterns with the pads (i.e. each pad plays a different pattern), can you set the pads to retrigger the pattern? When I was playing with it I noticed that once I hit a pad to switch to a pattern, subsequent playing of the same pad didn't do anything.

• Members

Yes. The 16 tunings mode allows you to customize each pad individually and save the setting, or scroll through scales, it will be pretty nice.

Here's one last question I forgot to include in my previous post. Can you play the 808 kick chromatically up and down the pads (via 16 tunings like the MPC) or external MIDI keyboard at different pitches? It seems like it can based on the demo.

Thank you so much for your response to my previous questions. Have a great day.

• Members

I'm a fan of clickless encoders as well. I tried to tweak the new encoder algorithm to make it feel more like a clickless encoder when you're turning it fast, and a click encoder when you're turning it slow. Let me know how it feels when you get more time to play with it.

The pads will be able to be set to retrigger the pattern based on several quantize amounts (16th, 32nd, 1 bar, 4 bars, etc) or instant. I haven't sketched out a lot of this type of functionality yet but I definitely see the merit in being able to start the sequence when you hit the pad, it's pretty likely I'll code it in. The mode in the demos for NAMM was just to show this was possible, and quite fun to play with. Expect more details closer to release.

Also, just to clarify... when you hit the pad a second time it does reload all the original parameters to all 16 sounds and the sequence So you could tweak the Lowpass and Highpass, get a nice fill going, and then drop right back into the original parameter beat just by hitting the pad again. It's really nice if you get extreme modulations and then want to go back to the original at the touch of a button.

No, it's a mix of click and clickless encoders (sorry I wasn't clear on that before). I'm sure the parameters assigned to the click encoders make sense (when I demoed it I didn't really pay attention to which knob did what, I just tried them to see if any had clicks), but if I were to use it as a midi controller I'd want all clickless encoders. Anyways, like I said it's a small issue especially when you consider its all-around awesomeness. It has a great "jam" feeling to it when playing in "arrange" mode.

Question for Pym_DSI: When playing patterns with the pads (i.e. each pad plays a different pattern), can you set the pads to retrigger the pattern? When I was playing with it I noticed that once I hit a pad to switch to a pattern, subsequent playing of the same pad didn't do anything.

• Members
He he he he there's nothing quite like a tempest!

screen_t2k1_select.jpg

Minter!Tempest! I still have the Sega Saturn one, its actually still in the Saturn since I unhooked it.

the retriggering thing on the DSI Tempest is totes relevant to my interests. This thing just sounds so awesome. Its making me put off getting a Mopho keyboard I'm afraid but I really really want one of these. I would probably try doing entire tracks on it tooo

• Members

Yes. The 16 tunings mode allows you to customize each pad individually and save the setting, or scroll through scales, it will be pretty nice.

That's great. Sounds like a winner to me!!!

Thread Title: "What's Dave Smith cooking up? TEMPEST!"

Well, I guess I can say dinner's ready and I'm comin' to get it as soon as I can afford to. This meal definitely has the ingredients I've been looking for in the past few years.

Thanks again for your response.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I do video reviews, demonstrations, etc. on YT

I made some videos "predicting the Tempest" sound with other gear. (In this case, Korg Electribe ESX and Akai XR20)

Parts B and C are filmed, just awaiting edit.

• Members

What time signatures are supported?

Can I have one drum part in 6/8 and the other in 7/4 - and both play simultaneously?

Archived