What's Dave Smith cooking up? TEMPEST!

ElectricPuppy

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What time signatures are supported?

Can I have one drum part in 6/8 and the other in 7/4 - and both play simultaneously?

we will see... but i know that

a Tenori-on can do it! 16 layers, EACH can run independently at a different time signature if you so desire.

:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes::eek::cop::love::wave::ma d::rolleyes:

(ha ha, it didnt let me post a row of 16 emoticons ...)

also, Numerology computer app can do any ammount of various step sequencing.

im going to try these controlling the Tempest by MIDI when i get a chance!

see a couple videos i did with the earlier DSI Tetr4 and Tenori. Terrific possibilities!

• Members

I do video reviews, demonstrations, etc. on YT

I made some videos "predicting the Tempest" sound with other gear. (In this case, Korg Electribe ESX and Akai XR20)

Here is PART B

Here is PART C

There is a PART D that isn't edited yet. ;-)

Enjoy, contemplate, comment, subscribe.

• Members

I have Numerology - fantastic software step sequencer.

However, I'd still like to hear from DSI about the Tempest's self-contained sequencing capability, as previously asked.

"Preaching to the Numerologist", as they say? ;-)

What are you using it with, if I may ask?

(I have been reading interesting things about Volta, and another plug in by Expert Sleepers? to control CL synths with laptops...)

RE: Tempest Sequencer

The gentleman above mentioned he was working on it, so it may not be totally set yet,

perhaps they are waiting to discuss particulars. Obviously I have high hopes for it!

Also, I assume the OS will be updatable,

and DSI seems like the kind of company that will actually USE this to add features over time?

RE: Tenori Multi Video - I have a new one coming,

with it controlling 3 other synths simultaneously by MIDI.

With enough MIDI through cables and / or a splitter to handle latency,

one could go all the way to 16 devices!

• Members

"Preaching to the Numerologist", as they say? ;-)

What are you using it with, if I may ask?

(I have been reading interesting things about Volta, and another plug in by Expert Sleepers? to control CL synths with laptops...)

I've used Numerology for free improvisation - solo and with a group. Solo, I played the step sequencer settings, gate settings, etc. - either driving a softsynth or an Emu Command Station. At really fast tempo settings, I could get a fake granular synth sound - though I had to be careful to not cause a crash in the Emu. In the group, I used the Triple XY module to send MIDI CC messages to a Nord Micromodular while it was processing my bandmate's violin through vocoder patches.

Yes, my history with synths has been more on the side of noise than dance music, though I have some ideas for more structured music.

I just got Ableton Live and Max For Live, though so it may be a while before I get back to using Numerology. I have a Moog Voyager that is just begging to be driven by Silent Way or Volta. Since I already have a MOTU audio interface, it would be cheaper to go that route than investing in, say, a Make Noise Wogglebug or Rene, though both of those modules look really appealing.

So many tools available, and so much to learn...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

Just curious what was the issue?

The PEK was a fine instrument with too limited of a polyphony with an analog side I didn't care for. The Prophet 08 had filters that I couldn't stand. I used to fun it through the KLC MS20 software filter because it was SO much better. Got tired of doing that and sold it.

All I am waiting from for DSI is an 8 voice all digital version spinoff of their PEK. A new Prophet "VS."

• 3 months later...
  • Members

There has been an excellent thread over at G-Slutz and although I still think this is a fanstatic product, it's sound is not for me. I am really greatful to the folks that did so many demo's as it really helps get to know it better

Nick @ that sonic-review gave me the impression he felt the same :)

I just hope they do not start posting great synth demo's from it :freak::lol:

Archived