The 40 greatest synth sounds of all time. (Music Radar)

MuzikB

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

''Getting the EXACT same sound was so easy... just listen here, this is what we used:

510P2S%2BlYfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg''

:facepalm:

Yep, have to agree folks they were just playing at making some of those sounds, replicating something is not easy, especially if you start with the wrong gear.. interesting article all the same...

• Members

You have to remember this is a UK publication so they're not exactly going to feature The Cars...they're also not going to feature some godforsaken yawnfest like Alan Parsons or whoever. It's subjective and seems to be aimed at those who know modern club classics as well as the electro-pop stuff beloved by synth nerds.

• Members
  • Members

What a {censored} list.

No Enya? I would think the 'pluck' of 'Orinoco Flow' would be there.

No Kate Bush? So many classic Fairlight sounds from 'Never Forever' and 'Hounds Of Love'.

No Elton? Think of 'Funeral For A Friend'.

No Thompson Twins? Very original synth programming, from 'Into The Gap' to 'Doctor Doctor'.

No Thomas Dolby???? Do I need to explain?

No Howard Jones?

No Gary Wright? 'Dreamweaver', anyone?

No Scritti Politti? The whole 'Cupid + Psyche' album is a synth masterpiece.

No Gino Vannelli? Holy {censored}! His first 5 albums are meticulously layered mono synths. Joe Vannelli recorded all the chords one note at a time, and the sounds on 'A Pauper In Paradise', 'Storm At Sunup', and 'Gist Of The Gemini' are way beyond what you were hearing in pop music at the time.

Someone already mentioned The Cars. Even the distinctive sync sound from 'Money For Nothing' by Dire Straits is more iconic than most of the ones in this list.

That's the problem with websites and magazines run by people who only know the 1990s and 2000s and who think that the '80s is ancient times and the '70s are quaint but irrelevant.

I get annoyed.

+1

If we were to go back to the 70's and 80's, where are Frankenstein and Fly Like an Eagle and Tom Sawyer and Don't You Forget About Me and Sweet Dreams and 99 Red Luftballons and Abacab and, well you get the idea.

Where is Fat Boy Slim and NIN and Prodigy? Tomita and Chick Corea?

Too many choices. Megalomania.

• Members

You have to remember this is a UK publication so they're not exactly going to feature The Cars...they're also not going to feature some godforsaken yawnfest like Alan Parsons or whoever. It's subjective and seems to be aimed at those who know modern club classics as well as the electro-pop stuff beloved by synth nerds.

It may be a UK publication but I have still not heard half the songs on it.

• Members

Hmmm....interesting. They sure seem to leave out a lot of older music with synths in favor of music that is mostly synth. And some of the sounds they're showcasing are pretty lackluster.

I gotta give them credit, though, for mentioning "Cafe Del Mar". Although they didn't really explain that the example given was one of the '97 or '98 remixes, or that the cool synth sound doesn't come in until more than 5 minutes into the song. The original isn't quite as smooth sounding:

[video=youtube;piR4hXsRtow]

• Members

I have had most of those on line since 2004 - and more - in my
famous sounds
list
:cop:

Eventually, when I get my act together I'll post the blog for it
:freak:
I have lots more to add.

Here are a few rectifications and additions to your "Famous Sounds":

Bass on "Take My breath away" = Yamaha DX-7 fretless bass (there may be some Jup-8 doubling that bass line but Arthur Barrow, the synth-player, wasn't 100% sure about it.

The brass on Toto's "Africa" = Yamaha CS-80 (the kalimba was all done with the GS-1 as was the high organ sound - the marimba is a combination of GS-1 and real marimba).

Bass on Visage's "Fade To Grey" = ARP Odyssey (the intro was done on a Synclavier II)

Arpeggio/sequence on Duran Duran's "Save A Prayer = Roland SH-2 driven by CSQ-100 (the Jup-8 does the 'bendy' lead).

Synth brass on Europe's "Final Countdown" = Roland JX-8P layered with TX-816

As for the tinny-sounding organ on YMO's "Rydeen", IMO this could just as well be the Polymoog (Sakamoto used to use the PM for this sound when performing Rydeen live, eg at the Greek theatre, L.A. in early aug 1979). On the other hand, I'm pretty sure they still used the PS-3100 in the studio at that point so it's difficult to say for sure, besides I don't think they ever used the old Korg live.

cheers,

Micke

• Members

That's more Future Music's aim, always has been. Still, while they got some club stuff that caught people's ears like the Darude "Sandstorm" lead, they seem to be more grabbing random songs vs. standard examples of iconic club sounds.

Belgian hoover, distorted TB-303 acid lead [they covered this with the Josh Wink track], the trance supersaw, Lately Bass / Solid Bass [they covered this], the M1 piano / organ [they covered this], sine bass / the dubstep wobble bass. These plus certain effects (trance gate, gated compressor) and certain sample loops (Amen break, Funky Drummer break) are kind of either standard fare today or 90s club classics. Some was covered, some wasn't oddly enough.

Of course, it's all subjective in the end.

• Members

No Baba O Reilly? No Won't Get Fooled Again.?

Any list missing either or both of those is clearly full of fail.

There ain't no synth on "Baba O' Reilly" though, the background 'sequence' was done with a 1968 Lowrey Berkshire Deluxe TBO-1 electronic organ using the marimba repeat effect.

• Members

There ain't no synth on "Baba O' Reilly" though, the background 'sequence' was done with a 1968 Lowrey Berkshire Deluxe TBO-1 electronic organ using the marimba repeat effect.

Technically, you're correct. But if you had quoted the very next sentence, you'd say I was correct. How it was accomplished is irrelevant. Pete did a LOT of synth experimentation on LifeHouse/Who's Next.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_O'Riley

"This modal approach used for the synthesizer track..."

the frenetic sequence - which resembles the clattering of a Roulette wheel - was played by Townshend on a Lowrey Berkshire Deluxe TBO-1 organ using its marimba repeat feature.[4] This modal approach used for the synthesizer track was inspired by the work of minimalist composer Terry Riley.

And if you check out WhoTabs, they also refer to it as a synthesizer sound:

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/lowrey.html

Lowrey Berkshire Deluxe TBO-1 organ:

Baba O

Archived