Tomita all up in this house

ElectricPuppy

• Members

It's my BFF's sister's boyfriend's fault. When I was 12, he was old enough to drive us to the county fair in the sister's Toyota Celica. The Celica with equipped with an 8-track, and he said, "hey, you guys want to hear something far out?"

And he slapped in Tomita's Kosmos.

I was mesmerized. Thus began my spiral into synths, and since then, I've collected these albums:

Snowflakes are Dancing

Pictures at an Exhibition

The Planets

Kosmos

The Bermuda Triangle

Greatest Hits

Bolero

I know there's more, but they're DAMNED hard to find now.

Anyone else into Tomita? Favorite track? Anyone? Bueller?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're right! I just checked, and Tomita CDs seem to be as rare as hen's teeth. I remember seeing them everywhere not long ago, for just a few dollars each. That's weird...

With the proliferation of mp3 players, I wonder if all CDs are going to be hard to find now - I was recently looking for ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition, and I couldn't find it locally.

I almost grew-up by listening to Tomita.

God, he was awesome. Unexplainable textures; my father, who played organ told me "it is made with organs" (given he did not know about synths back then) and I was "wow".

Pictures at an Exhibition is my favorite.

The Planets comes in a close second place.

Bolero is a third.

OMG. I want more TOMITA Now.

• Members

Cool. :D I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. :thu:

I recently ripped my vinyl copy of Bermuda so I could listen to it again, had heard it in 25 years. I'm kinda letting it soak in, there's some pieces on it I really like, but there's some parts that annoy me. I suspect the annoyance will pass when I finally figure out what he's "saying" in those parts, lol.

• Members

Cool.
:D
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.
:thu:

I recently ripped my vinyl copy of Bermuda so I could listen to it again, had heard it in 25 years. I'm kinda letting it soak in, there's some pieces on it I really like, but there's some parts that annoy me. I suspect the annoyance will pass when I finally figure out what he's "saying" in those parts, lol.

The best was the 2nd mvmt of Prokofiev Symphony #5. I have that on right now, I actually bought it some time ago on iTunes. I wish he would have done some Delius, it would be perfect for Tomitizing.

[video=youtube;YcrKIMf6sJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcrKIMf6sJo

Archived