OT : Best places to live in the US?

geek_usa

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i have travelled the country extensively and lived a good handful of places. i grew up in nashville and lived in atlanta for a few years. the person who suggested that you move to those places is completely insane. i currently live in portland, or. your posts sound basically like you are describing portland. it is great here. i've also lived in olympia, wa and spent a lot of time in seattle. both of those are also fantastic places. but i think portland is just the best. not really thunderstorms very often in the northwest, but there sure is plenty of rain. not too cold at all though. seriously, it sounds like the northwest is for you. pretty cheap, lots to do, intelligent thoughful poeple everywhere, lots of music. it's the best.

• Members
Originally posted by mhenson42

TEXAS. Becasue everyplace else sucks- but theres is no better place to live in the US - IMO.

People LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLove Texas.

Even Dimebag and Vinnie were always saying, "Texas this, Texas that".

Ron White (Comedian) LOVES :love: Texas.

I have got to visit Texas! :idea:

• Members
Originally posted by Stephen Colbert

I lived in central VA, or better known as Richmond. If you like nice weather (80's) with hardly ever getting snow, and good paying jobs. Richmond is a great place to live. And if your a rasist............... you will love VA.
:love:

Please don't advise people to move to Richmond. Its the dirtiest place in North America, and the muder rate is higher than Compton (and no I'm not kidding). :)

• Members

Originally posted by geek_usa

I love huge rolling thunderstorms and rain. I can't get enough of it. But I don't really want it to be dreary, like raining all the time...like an awesome light show at night during the middle of summer.

Not saying it's where you want to live, but the above is a description of Tucson in the summer. It's called the monsoon season and there are lightning storms every night for nearly 3 months.

• Members

Oh and I spent a while in Rapid City SD last year, and from what I saw it was a really awesome place. Everyone I met was really nice, and its only 20 minutes away from some of americas most beautiful scenery, the black hills, the badlands, Mt Rushmore etc.

• Members

Whoever said San Francisco is crazy. Great place to visit, horrible place to live! I know some folks RENTING a house for 2200 a month, and it ain't big. Home prices are insane, and the people are too. Very rude, terrible drivers, a lot of accidents, and pedestrians who cross regardless of how fast you are traveling. Navigating the city is very hard as well. It's only 7 miles wide, but it's easy to get lost.

I live in San Jose which is a nice place to live. Picture perfect weather, and you will find some nice people. However, there are a lot of crazy liberals from San Francisco/Santa Cruz etc. that moved here, and home prices are through the roof. My family has a 1400 square foot house that's worth $650,000 in our area, which is downright insane. However, you are within 1 hour of San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Oakland, so there is a {censored}load to do. Great camping spots within an hour as well, Big Basin, Henry Coe (if you like backpacking!), Yosemite and Tahoe are 4 hours away. LA is doable as well, about 6 hours depending on traffic. Anywhere in the Bay Area, if you don't mind lots of liberals and insane prices, is a good place to live.

• Members

Originally posted by 9ball

i don't know about any of that-- all i know is i spent some time there- and people are very snobbish everywhere- blacks in the city would follow us around sometimes and not leave us alone--

it is very very expensive in the city and all surrounding areas-- traffic is a nightmare...

There are roughly nine million people in the Chicago area, which includes the city itself and the surrounding "collar counties". Thus, you are bound to get a lot of traffic. The problem isn't the traffic, it is the lack of major expressways to and from the City from the outlying Suburbs. However, it is extremely difficult to manage traffic flow in a major metrpolitan area. This is true anywhere, including New York, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Miami, Atlanta, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Tokyo, Beijing, Manila, Hanoi, and Manchester (England) - all places I have been and seen their traffic problems first hand.

I have lived in Chicago most of my life. People here are no more snobbish than aynwhere else. With a population as big as Chicago, you have the full socio-economic spectrum here. There are wealthy suburbs and not-so-wealthy suburbs. There are wealthy parts of the City, and poor parts of the City. It is very diverse.

Regardless of economic status, some people are nice and down to earth; others are snobs. But, logically, you run into that anywhere you travel.

In general, Chicago is a great city. There is a good solid work ethic here. Jobs are available. Good housing is available - though much of it is expensive.

You have access to great music, great theater, excellent museums, world-class universities, both large and small businesses. The shopping is great. There are professional teams in all major sports - as well as various minor leage affiliates in the area (baseball, hockey, etc.). Plus, some of the best music shops in the country are located here.

Anyway, Chicago has a lot to offer. The only issue is the weather; winter tends to drag on and on. Otherwise, there are not a lot of downsides to Chicago.

• Members

I believe that you're going to have to give a bit on one or two of your conditions to find a good place to live.I've lived in the east county part of the San Diego area for the last 15 years and I love it.The price of housing is fairly reasonable in east county...at least by California standards.Jobs prospects are good for those in the high tech,medical,travel,customer service and bio-tech industries.

Though morning and late afternoon traffic tends to be somewhat difficult,at least it usually keeps moving at a steady pace...unlike the L.A./O.C. traffic that often comes to a standstill every other minute.For myself,the best thing is the weather and the beaches.The crime is also amongst the lowest in the nation for a city/area in the country's top 50 by population.Be it good or bad,it's also real close to Mexico and a couple of hours south of the L.A./O.C. area.

Yeah,people will find much to fault about the area.But after over 25 years of living in a central California hellhole,San Diego is simply paradise.

Ed

• Members

Originally posted by zepprocker

If you can afford it San Francisco is an amazing city. Ive lived here for 2 years and i love it. Everyone is really nice and the music scene is pretty good. It fits what you want perfectly. My favorite city in the u.s. so far. But yeah its expensive

yeah, and the needles are FREE!! Isn't that great!? With all the crap you get to pay out the ass for out there, you get to go to work every day to provide free needles for drug addicts! You must be thrilled. Have you ever wondered WHY California is the most expensive state to live in? Have you ever considered what else you are being forced to pay for? If you look close enough you'll find the answer. I wouldn't live in that pathetic state if my life depended on it.

• Members
Originally posted by wkwon

SEATTLE, WA

I moved here about 3 years ago and it's such a great place. Made some great friends and the people here are so nice. Beautiful place. about 2 snow days a year and when it does... it snows about an inch. seattle = music period. great liberals here. EMP (experience music project) is by far the COOLEST museum in the WORLD. you can record a cd, play strats through soldanos, see jimi's marshall stack and white strat from 2 feet away. also the place w/ the most literate people and the healthiest city in the world.

but....

I did move from downtown LA so this is heaven. but my honeymoon is over and i still love it here.

"great liberals here"? OOOOOO, that's important.:rolleyes: I didn't see that on his list.

• Members
Originally posted by OverDriven

Please don't advise people to move to Richmond. Its the dirtiest place in North America, and the muder rate is higher than Compton (and no I'm not kidding).
:)

Well your almost right.........but as far as dirty goes: Richmond has it's dirty areas. But most of which are directly located in the city of Richmond. And not the surrounding area.

I moved to Scranton, PA from Richmond VA. We call Scranton....... "Dirty Scranton"

It's another coal town, and the black coal {censored} is everywhere. It just looks dirty, no matter what. The river is polluted from mining, and the river is red in color, from the abandoned mines that were dug to close to the rivers base.
To give you an idea of the condition of Scranton. Please watch the movie "King Pins" with Woody Harrelson. They filmed it in Scranton. Because it's run down and seems some what hopeless. King Pins is a great movie.

But, you are right about the murder rates in Richmond, they ARE higher than Compton. Richmond was 2nd on the list for the most murders in the entire nation. And it was only beat out by Arlington........................VA

So the number one place to get murdered is northern VA (the D.C. area), and the 2nd most dangerous place is an hour and a half away in Richmond, VA.

Makes you wonder about the whole "Virginia is for lovers" thing.

• Members

Loved Norfolk and the other six cities making up the Hampton Roads area when I first arrived in the late 80s. Cannot wait to move west into the mountains now. Traffic congestion is the worst in the country for an area of this size with no improvement in sight. Job market is good. Crime is on the rise.

I live on the western fringe of the metro area. Country but still fighting commuter traffic, few services, murders, and even a counterfeiting ring.

• Members
Originally posted by SkidMarx

"great liberals here"? OOOOOO, that's important.
:rolleyes:
I didn't see that on his list.

Get used to it. The Republicans are out and the Democrats are next! :D

Next thing you know, there will be no one left running the country that you like. And you will get to feel the same way "we liberals" feel.

The next generation of voters are NOT conservatives or democrats. They are liberal :wave:

O.K.....I got to get back to my war on Xmas. Talk to ya later

• Members

Originally posted by wkwon

SEATTLE, WA

I did move from downtown LA so this is heaven. but my honeymoon is over and i still love it here.

{censored} any where away from downtown LA is a plus. If you can afford it, Santa Barbara, is nice, lots of rich musicians and movie stars like it as a quick jump to LA. Almost perfect weather year round. But for a music career, Seattle or Portland are very good choices.

• Members

Originally posted by geek_usa

alright, i've narrowed it down.

Seattle, WA/Tacoma, WA/Olympia, WA (which of the 3?)

Portland, OR

Tucson, AZ/Mesa, AZ (which of the 2?)

Chillicothe, OH

Wichita, KS

Charleston, SC

Austin, TX

flagstaff,AZ.

that's where i'd move if i were in a position to buy another house.

• Members

Originally posted by macmax

for the love of God i can't understand when designers say

"London-Paris-NY", hehhehe, really, i can't

Because if you have the scratch, NYC is amazing. Imagine being worth 100 mill and living in Manhattan. That would be killer {censored}.

Archived