Are all tube amps generally unpredictable?

Bassified

• Members

As in their tone alters due to temperature and the amount of hours spent on the tubes? For example, if I were to dial in one tone I really like, will that tone stay the same even if I drive to band practice and have the same tone I dialed at home?

Reason I ask is because, when I owned my Mesa Mark IIB, I think there were times I loved the tone and times I disliked it. Are all tube amps like this?

I'm back in the amp market again looking for a Fenderish clean and nice mid-gain drive, perhaps Marshally? I have about $800cad to spend after refunding the Pod and the Power Engine 60. I am considering the Tech21 Trademark 60 and a few tube amps.

Maybe a TM60 vs a Traynor YCV50 Blue (or similar tube amp in this price range).

Thoughts?

(By the way, please comment on these amps only if you've tried them or owned them or still have it.)

• Members

I have the Taynor YCV40WR. Older brother to the Blue50. It's Clean is actually kinda Vox-y/Jangley. It's OD channel sounds like the clean CH.but with less treble and less bass. Not really a Marshall sound (imho), The OD is actually more of a Vox-FenderBassman-ish tone, tho it does have a lot of gain- from pushed SRV to a hard rock tone.YCV's love singlecoils.They sound killer in these amps.My strat and tele sound the best thru it. I don't like the 1x12 cab they come in.Wished it was a HEAD(cool DIY project?). I use an oversized Laney 2x12 w/V30/eminence1/4 open back and it does it justice.It's waay fuller bassier and breathy.

good lux

BTW: It's best to dial your tone at rehearsal, with the band.Not at home. Many times I get home after a gig and my knobs are in weird places that sound weird alone but when the band plays it makes sense.When I had my Line6 I had a "home wanking/recording" bank and a "GIGGING" bank- tweeked with the band-.very different sounds.

• Members

I guess that makes sense. I don't know, still deciding on the amps.

For a tube amp, I am more concerned about the tone difference from place to place. Consistency is pretty important to me. I'd like to dial in an awesome tone and then be able to get the exact tone during a live gig.

• Members

Of course, when you change the environment , the tone changes..that's why for recording they usually tune up rooms ..playing in a basement with concrete floor and all will change the tone.

That's what the soundchecks are for as well..everytime you play out somewhere, the mix won't sound the same, settings need to be fiddled around a bit.

I'm still skeptical about that tone thing when I stay at home..since some days I like my tone, and some other days I hate it eventhough it hasn'T changed..sound memory or hearing variation maybe ? :p:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by sekler

Of course, when you change the environment , the tone changes..that's why for recording they usually tune up rooms ..playing in a basement with concrete floor and all will change the tone.

That's what the soundchecks are for as well..everytime you play out somewhere, the mix won't sound the same, settings need to be fiddled around a bit.

I'm still skeptical about that tone thing when I stay at home..since some days I like my tone, and some other days I hate it eventhough it hasn'T changed..sound memory or hearing variation maybe ?
:p:confused:

Does the tone changes occur for solid state amps or moreso with tube amps?

• Members

Originally posted by tlp123

Are all tube amps generally unpredictable?

No, only that between the ears that hears it

Does the same principle apply to a solid state as well?

I'm basically wondering if it's really the tubes that are affected by the enviroment or whether it does not matter if the amp has tubes or not.

• Members

Originally posted by Bassified

Does the same principle apply to a solid state as well?

I'm basically wondering if it's really the tubes that are affected by the enviroment or whether it does not matter if the amp has tubes or not.

Two tin cans and a string. The same thing

• Members

Originally posted by mhenson42

+1. I got a Furman AR15 II voltage regulator/power conditioner recently and my amps always sound good. Before, there would be good days and bad days.

How about for SS amps?

Do voltage fluctuations happen in SS amps as well?

• Members

Originally posted by Bassified

As in their tone alters due to temperature and the amount of hours spent on the tubes? For example, if I were to dial in one tone I really like, will that tone stay the same even if I drive to band practice and have the same tone I dialed at home?

Reason I ask is because, when I owned my Mesa Mark IIB, I think there were times I loved the tone and times I disliked it. Are all tube amps like this?

I'm back in the amp market again looking for a Fenderish clean and nice mid-gain drive, perhaps Marshally? I have about $800cad to spend after refunding the Pod and the Power Engine 60. I am considering the Tech21 Trademark 60 and a few tube amps.

Maybe a TM60 vs a Traynor YCV50 Blue (or similar tube amp in this price range).

Thoughts?

(By the way, please comment on these amps only if you've tried them or owned them or still have it.)

I have the same problems with my amps. Some days they sound killer and then some days that suck big time.

Archived