Similarities in amps

Bassified

• Members
Originally posted by Alchemist

What makes you think they would even be remotely similar?

Different preamp, different poweramp, different control layout, different tube complement, different build.
:freak:

So you can't really compare which is better due to different tonal characteristics?

• Members

No - they aren't the least bit similar. You are going to have to go with how you feel about an amp, and what you like about it.

That problem is far too rampant here. People get stuck in a "is X better than Y?" situation, and you need to figure out if X is better than Y for your uses.

• Members

Originally posted by Weathered

No - they aren't the least bit similar. You are going to have to go with how you feel about an amp, and what you like about it.

That problem is far too rampant here. People get stuck in a "is X better than Y?" situation, and you need to figure out if X is better than Y for your uses.

Agreed.

• Members

The YC20 has the same output tubes as the F-30, so there may be some common ground there, but it's really just coincidental. The voicing of the power tubes found in both means that they'll have similar characteristics but they're by no means clones of each other.

The F-50 and YCV40 have some similar tones, but they have just as many differences. The Mesa is voiced tighter and with more gain.

• Members

Originally posted by Welladjusted

The YC20 has the same output tubes as the F-30, so there may be some common ground there, but it's really just coincidental. The voicing of the power tubes found in both means that they'll have similar characteristics but they're by no means clones of each other.

The F-50 and YCV40 have some similar tones, but they have just as many differences. The Mesa is voiced tighter and with more gain.

I don't know...I currently have a podxt live and a tech21 power engine 60. it sounds pretty good, but for the money, i think i can do a bit better. that setup is quite expensive.

overall, i'd like something simple...2 channels, 2 independent eq.

i'm thinking of a traynor ycv50 or tech21 trademark60

Archived