OT: Has anyone ever thought...

Bassified

• Members

I'm just thinking whether or not I should dump my PodXt Live/Power Engine 60 setup for an SS (like the Tech21 Trademark60) or an actual tube amp.

Because with the updates on the Line6 website, I'm not sure if my pod will be so good....or maybe I'm just dreaming and I should just get a real tube amp?

:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Bassified

...if Line6 PodXT stuff keeps having updates on their site, they will eventually sound and feel like a tube amp?

What do you guys think? Is it possible and should every guitarist purchase a Pod and wait for the upgrades?

No, because the issue is hardware limitations, not software.

I've heard from very knowledgable people that the best computers are not even powerful enough for a proper compression algorithm. It sounds crazy, but it has relevance to the plights of modellers. A lot of the issue is with the feel and response, which relates very closely to their compression. The distortion makes it too harsh, and on top of that, their dynamic range is too limited to get what you might expect out of a lot of amps that aren't always crushed to oblivion.

However, I believe that a lot of the combination modellers/effects processors are a lot more useful than most SS amps just because of the versatility. You can pretty much always get a sound that works, and in many cases, they can also do things that you really can't even with all sorts of other effects and amps.

• Members

Originally posted by Herald of Light

No, because the issue is hardware limitations, not software.

I've heard from very knowledgable people that the best computers are not even powerful enough for a proper compression algorithm. It sounds crazy, but it has relevance to the plights of modellers. A lot of the issue is with the feel and response, which relates very closely to their compression. The distortion makes it too harsh, and on top of that, their dynamic range is too limited to get what you might expect out of a lot of amps that aren't always crushed to oblivion.

However, I believe that a lot of the combination modellers/effects processors are a lot more useful than most SS amps just because of the versatility. You can pretty much always get a sound that works, and in many cases, they can also do things that you really can't even with all sorts of other effects and amps.

Hardware limitations...

..well maybe I should start searching for an all-tube amp. The Line 6 Podxt Live has good sounds, but I don't know....I keep feeling something is missing,

• Members

Line6 doesn't seem particularly concerned with doing their own thing. They could go the direction of trying to utilize all the possible advantages of a modeller/effects processor, but instead, they just keep acting like they are successfully copying tons of amps at once, which is just blasphemy. :confused:

The Boss GT-8 did a lot better in that regard, but there's still so much room to improve, even in just basic functionality.

Archived