Help me pick out a nice shred style guitar

JoshuaLogan

• Members

Well, I'm finally starting to realize that there really is no amp or guitar that can cover as many things as I need them to. I'm happy with my amp now though, and looking to get some new guitars. I sold my les paul, and going to sell my schecter soon. They were/are both good guitars, but I just want to start over from scratch.

So, I decided I want 3 guitars. For clean/indie/rock kinda stuff I'm getting a G&L ASAT Special. For a bit heavier than that, I really want a Gibson LP Double Cut, just because I'm fond of them and get along with them really well...

Those two guitars cover everything I'd need except easy and lightning fast playability. I'm not too much into the virtuoso 80's shred stuff, but a guitar made for that would work well. For the tech-metal/hardcore/grind stuff I'm into, I want to get a shred style guitar.

I've been looking at jackson, ibanez, and musicman guitars. I'd love to get a USA jackson, but not totally sure I want to spend that much. Ibanez has been getting confusing, because it seems like there are about a billion different rg/prestige models, and I don't know the differences between them or which are the higher end models. Also looked at a few musicmans that I heard were great players...

Anything else I should look at? Recommend me some guitars to check out... :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by JoshuaLogan

Well, I'm finally starting to realize that there really is no amp or guitar that can cover as many things as I need them to. I'm happy with my amp now though, and looking to get some new guitars. I sold my les paul, and going to sell my schecter soon. They were/are both good guitars, but I just want to start over from scratch.

So, I decided I want 3 guitars. For clean/indie/rock kinda stuff I'm getting a G&L ASAT Special. For a bit heavier than that, I really want a Gibson LP Double Cut, just because I'm fond of them and get along with them really well...

Those two guitars cover everything I'd need except easy and lightning fast playability. I'm not too much into the virtuoso 80's shred stuff, but a guitar made for that would work well. For the tech-metal/hardcore/grind stuff I'm into, I want to get a shred style guitar.

I've been looking at jackson, ibanez, and musicman guitars. I'd love to get a USA jackson, but not totally sure I want to spend that much. Ibanez has been getting confusing, because it seems like there are about a billion different rg/prestige models, and I don't know the differences between them or which are the higher end models. Also looked at a few musicmans that I heard were great players...

Anything else I should look at? Recommend me some guitars to check out...
:thu:

Fixed bridge? Gibson Flying V.

Tremolo? Ibanez RG.

• Members

Originally posted by 9ball

i played an RG today that was neck-thru with a H/H set up and had an edge trem on it. it was heavy and felt very solid. probably mahogany.(not sure,though)

i might go back tomorow and look at it again.i think i want it.
:D

Yeah, my friend has a lower end RG that he set the action up on perfectly, and I LOVE how it plays, but it sounds pretty shitty.. stock ibanez pickups and basswood body. I'd rather have a mahogany body.

Anybody going to help? ESP is another I've considered.

I may just go with Ibanez, but I don't know what model to go with. I was checking out the RG3120's...

• Members

Originally posted by doomsdaymachine

Fixed bridge? Gibson Flying V.

Tremolo? Ibanez RG.

Ahh, I don't like V's too much. :(

I'd like a pretty solid feeling guitar, with a deep tone to it.

And fixed bridge or tremolo doesn't really matter much to me, because I doubt I would use the tremolo much, but wouldn't really be a big deal to me if it were there either

• Members

Ahh, I don't like V's too much.
:(

I'd like a pretty solid feeling guitar, with a deep tone to it.

And fixed bridge or tremolo doesn't really matter much to me, because I doubt I would use the tremolo much, but wouldn't really be a big deal to me if it were there either

YOU DONT LIKE Vs???

you, my friend, are now my personal enemy.

but really, if you dont wanna spend too much cash, Ibanez RGA121 or RG370DX depending on your preference, but i recently bought a Jackson DXMGT and love it.

• Members

Yeah, my friend has a lower end RG that he set the action up on perfectly, and I LOVE how it plays, but it sounds pretty {censored}ty.. stock ibanez pickups and basswood body. I'd rather have a mahogany body.

Anybody going to help? ESP is another I've considered.

I may just go with Ibanez, but I don't know what model to go with. I was checking out the RG3120's...

yeah- they've changed the names of them all and i don't keep up with them. mine's a great guitar.it's mahogany,and japanese.it could use better pick ups,but they're not bad,really.

i'm not sure what the deal is with the neck thru RG's-- but the one i played today felt good and solid.i'd like to have one,but am in debt on gear right now as it is-lol

• Members

does the invader really work well for that kind of thing?

I've heard the carvin bolts are pretty good shred guitars, maybe I'll check those out too

I use my CS legacy for that sorta thing because I dont dive bomb too much and didnt need the floyd. The Invader was designed as shred/metal guitar.

Archived