Les Paul Studio - Pickup Recommendations

tnourse

• Members

I've recently bought a used 2003 Les Paul Studio and need some recommendations on pickups. It came with the EMG Zakk Wylde set (81b/85n) and it's SUPER bright sounding to me. It's my first guitar with EMGs and I don't think I like them at all!

Here are the specs on the guitar:

Body: Swamp Ash

Neck: Mahogany

Fingerboard: Ebony

Does anyone have any experience with a swamp ash guitar? Are they normally bright sounding? My Charvel has a Duncan Distortion in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck, which I really like and I don't mind re-wiring to go back to passive pickups. How would that combo sound with the swamp ash??

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

IMG_0420xx.jpg

• Members

i would expect swamp ash to be pretty bright, so the duncan distortion may not be a good choice. i often hear it described as having an eq similar to that of an 81. maybe a darker pickup? like duncan custom custom and invader or dimazrio breed, tone zone, super 3, etc.

• Members

Originally posted by Loghead

Interesting looking guitar.

That's why i bought it. Something different. But I bought it on Ebay without being able to play it first. Plays real nice and it's in great shape. I'm just not happy with the bridge PU tone. The 85 in the neck sounds pretty good though...

• Members

Originally posted by Burningleaves

Take the duncans out of the Charvel and see how they sound in the studio.

That's a lot of work, because I believe the Les Paul would need to be completely re-wired to go back to passive PU's. Right??

• Members

Originally posted by litzilong

i would expect swamp ash to be pretty bright, so the duncan distortion may not be a good choice. i often hear it described as having an eq similar to that of an 81. maybe a darker pickup? like duncan custom custom and invader or dimazrio breed, tone zone, super 3, etc.

Dimarzio's have always sounded darker or warmer to my ears than Duncans. Mabye a couple of PAF pro's would do the trick.

• Members

Originally posted by litzilong

Really?? I've never heard the Distortion being compared to an 81. So far every guitar I've installed a Distortion in, I've liked a lot. Mr. Lynch used them a lot back in the Dokken days and I always liked his tone. That's what I have in my Lynch Tiger.

• Members

Originally posted by warplanegrey

i have one in my SG, and it's a very warm sounding pickup.

although, i think i'm going to trade it for a Gibson 500T or a 498T. *shrug*

I have the 500T in my explorer. It's a pretty decent pup. Works great with the 496R thats in the neck. A good combo.

• Members

If you want classic LP HB sound check out GFS pickups, they have some good prices on PAF and aftermarket types, I put one on my Tele neck and just love the tone. I've never liked EMG's much. I would go for the slightly hotter in the bridge and a stock in the neck. Been thinking of replacing the pups in my Epi SG cause they are starting to feedback after 12 years of heavy playing. But here's a little trick I learned many years ago, hit them with the hairdrier to remelt the wax to fix the vibration from a lose wire. I've done this trick to Fender pups and it worked, so it may work on my SG HB's.

Archived