so what is more important to you...chops or recording skills?

Digital Jams

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

Crud, $289 for the pro version! It may be a while before I buy it.

yeah - it's harsh i know - you do get a free 4 gig sound library expansion for it now aswell though - it's money well spent.

I had a band i produced buy it for me as payment for some work i did for them a few years back - fixed their drum problem and sorted me out also!

• Members
Originally posted by rawhedrex

I had a band i produced buy it for me as payment for some work i did for them a few years back - fixed their drum problem and sorted me out also!

I love those kind of jobs.

Originally posted by DeathMonkey

Bob, check out
www.gearslutz.com
for some cool ideas about drums. It seems a lot pf producers either take the performance and replace the sounds, or layer samples with them... some cool ideas throughout the forum.

I've heard about that site for eons now, but never spent time going through it. I think it's time, thanks mang.

• Members
Originally posted by DeathMonkey

Bob, check out
www.gearslutz.com
for some cool ideas about drums. It seems a lot pf producers either take the performance and replace the sounds, or layer samples with them... some cool ideas throughout the forum.

And for the record, I make FAR more money with my recording/studio skills than I do with my guitar.
:thu:

some of the guys on that forum are incredibly switched on - good call.

• Members

utilizing samples blended with or completely in place of recorded tones is more commonplace than not, at least in metal, IMO. Not the other way around.

It's also common to sample the actual kit being recorded and then blend in those clean samples into the live recorded signal to cut down on bleed and other issues. It's great technique.

• Members

Originally posted by nwright

utilizing samples blended with or completely in place of recorded tones is more commonplace than not, at least in metal, IMO. Not the other way around.

yes - but very very rarely for the entire kit - or even most of it, most people seem to strive to trigger as little as possible.

• Members

Originally posted by rawhedrex

yes - but very very rarely for the entire kit - or even most of it, most people seem to strive to trigger as little as possible.

As far as modern metal goes, I'd disagree. Even those who say they don't, I'd bet they do. And, I'm not saying it as a putdown, as I love modern metal production. Blending sampled tones with live tones is an art, and whatever makes them sound the best is what matters to me. But, I disagree with your assertion.

For other types of music, I really have no clue, but metal...yeah, samples are as commonplace as mics are these days. IMHO, of course.

• Members

As far as modern metal goes, I'd disagree. Even those who say they don't, I'd bet they do. And, I'm not saying it as a putdown, as I love modern metal production. Blending sampled tones with live tones is an art, and whatever makes them sound the best is what matters to me. But, I disagree with your assertion.

For other types of music, I really have no clue, but metal...yeah, samples are as commonplace as mics are these days. IMHO, of course.

I produce metal - i can assure you it's not the case - you hear a few sampled drums - but most of it isn't - you can even check out the behemoth vid a guy posted - only the kicks are triggered.

do you realise how insane it is to trigger overheads? thats 50 percent of the kit right there.

• Members

Chops, or song writing ability, rather, is infinitely more important to me.

I assume this is in reference to the way people reply to certain clips that do not seem particularly worthwhile. Usually, it's pretty easy to tell why people say what they do when you may be totally lost about what the big deal is, and it's because something in their sigs all match...

As much as I am interested in recording, quite frankly, I don't give a {censored} if it sounds like {censored} so long as the music is good. Some of my favorite stuff sounds god awful, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

And for the record, I get really tired of hearing the same Killswitch Engage clip here. :mad:

I don't think that's quite the case. The really blasty/grindy bands will most definitely use triggers for the bass drum, and sometimes the snare, but beyond that I think it's really pushing it to say that the majority use samples.

Archived