so what is more important to you...chops or recording skills?

Digital Jams

• Members

for my abilities, i'd say it's about 51/49 with the chops having the slight advantage

playing guitar is my first love, i enjoy it FAR more than recording and i take it more seriously...but for all practical purposes, i'm in a band that needs to function as a band; that means my recording skills are very important if we wish to do that

if it was financially feasible, i wouldn't mind recording taking a big backseat tho...and concentrating on my playing more, and only recording clips for the hell of it

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Mood Bender

this thread is really something...

who is this Axeman720 dude... producer, mixer... what?

he is one of the guys from the studio owned by jason suecof (i think) - who produced some of the biggest names in metal in the last few years. One of my favourite production houses for two reasons - everything done there sounds killer, and every band done there sounds different.

• Members

Originally posted by rawhedrex

check the myspace link in his siganture - that might help. And cut the guy some slack - he knows his {censored}.

So you think I should have sat there and taken insult after insult due to the fact he mixes for a career?

Sorry but you are way off....if Ted Templeton came in here saying the same crap I would have lit him too. Sucking arse crack is not my MO due to ones profession.

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

What's wrong with asking what he does professionally, specifically?

he's mentioned it at least a dozen times already, and reffered people to the studios site, this suggests to me people are less interested in reading this thread and more interested in another HC lynching....

• Members

he's mentioned it at least a dozen times already, and reffered people to the studios site, this suggests to me people are less interested in reading this thread and more interested in another HC lynching....

He has? I've read this thread as it was being generated, and I didn't see any specifics. All I know is he works there and he's very passionate about tracking, or mixing, or producing, or mastering, or some combination of them.

I also didn't see any so called HC lynching going on. Who besides Scott was going after him? Ralph said he wasn't as impressed with what he heard as he is with what's his name (can't remember who it is), but that's a matter of preference and then Ralph let it go.

I still don't understand why you're being so protective of him. I'll check out the website, maybe that info is there too...

• Members

Originally posted by Digital Jams

So you think I should have sat there and taken insult after insult due to the fact he mixes for a career?

Sorry but you are way off....if Ted Templeton came in here saying the same crap I would have lit him too. Sucking arse crack is not my MO due to ones profession.

In terms of your origional comment - i still agree with him, and dont think it's hard to see where he's coming from. If you took offence to his tone or attitude, then thats between him and you.

I wouldn't take crap from anyone based on their know-how - and never suggested you should either.

• Members

Are you using acoustic drums
only
? I don't listen to a lot of modern metal, but what I've heard and after speaking with some mixing and mastering engineers, it seems to be commonplace these days for acoustic drums and samples to both be used, sometimes with the samples taking precedence in the mix.

This is true, more often than not kick drums are triggered via midi or in post. Just about everything else is acoustic, sometimes people trigger snares also - or even the whole kit, cymbals and all - but thats not commonplace.

• Members

This is true, more often than not kick drums are triggered via midi or in post. Just about everything else is acoustic, sometimes people trigger snares also - or even the whole kit, cymbals and all - but thats not commonplace.

Yep... this is something I've been wanting to get into but just haven't had the time or resources to deal with it, so I end up with acoustic drums only.

• Members

Yep... this is something I've been wanting to get into but just haven't had the time or resources to deal with it, so I end up with acoustic drums only.

it's actually VERY easy to do in post, check out drumagog if you are on PC - it's so simple it's ridiculous. Personaly I only like the kick sampled anyway, so thats generally the way I go - easier to set up than a trigger aswell. Shouldn't take you more than half an hour to get going Bob.

• Members

II wouldn't take crap from anyone based on their know-how -
and never suggested you should either.

O-RLY... :rolleyes:

... And cut the guy some slack - he knows his {censored}.

Back to my question... who is this guy?

• Members

He has? I've read this thread as it was being generated, and I didn't see any specifics. All I know is he works there and he's very passionate about tracking, or mixing, or producing, or mastering, or some combination of them.

I also didn't see any so called HC lynching going on. Who besides Scott was going after him? Ralph said he wasn't as impressed with what he heard as he is with what's his name (can't remember who it is), but that's a matter of preference and then Ralph let it go.

I still don't understand why you're being so protective of him. I'll check out the website, maybe that info is there too...

I think who we were talking to was Jason Suecoff, the producer of Bury Your Dead- Beauty and the Breakdown,Trivium-The crusade,The Autumn Offering- Embrace the Gutter,Roadrunner united and Chimaira- Resurrection.

• Members
Originally posted by Mood Bender

O-RLY...
:rolleyes:

Back to my question... who is this guy?

Gimme a break - show me where i suggested should take {censored} based on ones experience? - go ahead please.

check his myspace link in his sig - for the second time now.

• Members

it's actually VERY easy to do in post, check out drumagog if you are on PC - it's so simple it's ridiculous. Personaly I only like the kick sampled anyway, so thats generally the way I go - easier to set up than a trigger aswell. Shouldn't take you more than half an hour to get going Bob.

Does drumagog work like sound replacer? Any idea what drumagog costs, and does it come with a good sample library?

• Members

Does drumagog work like sound replacer? Any idea what drumagog costs, and does it come with a good sample library?

it's very similair to sound replacer, and is pretty much the best option outside of pro tools -

the sound library is pretty good - however i use my own -

I actually mute the kick drum entirely when i drumagog it, so to get rid of bleed - the little whacks are more than enough.

It's not exactly dirt cheap - but its a damn chunk cheaper than setting up triggers to do the same job. Everything is overpriced here in Australia, so you'd be better off finding a price locally.

• Members

it's very similair to sound replacer, and is pretty much the best option outside of pro tools -

the sound library is pretty good - however i use my own -

I actually mute the kick drum entirely when i drumagog it, so to get rid of bleed - the little whacks are more than enough.

It's not exactly dirt cheap - but its a damn chunk cheaper than setting up triggers to do the same job. Everything is overpriced here in Australia, so you'd be better off finding a price locally.

Thanks for the info. I do have the first Drumkit from Hell and some misc samples I've run across on the web, so DFH is a good start.

I think I'll see about buying it once I decide what bass head I'm keeping (just put together a bass rig) and sell the other.

• Members

Thanks for the info. I do have the first Drumkit from Hell and some misc samples I've run across on the web, so DFH is a good start.

I think I'll see about buying it once I decide what bass head I'm keeping (just put together a bass rig) and sell the other.

My pleasure - hope it works out for you.

and it works really nicely with DFH samples.

Archived