Talk me out of buying a TSL half stack for $1000

mcarse81

• Members

I've been reading the reviews on the TSL 100 head and it seems as if its pretty common for these heads to be unreliable. I've heard nothing but bad things about them on the amp forums here. I can't think of a single band that uses them and have never even seen anyone post a clip.

Why am I thinking about buying a TSL 100 half stack with the 1960A cabinet, both in perfect condition for $1000? It seems like too good of a deal for me to pass up.

I love 80's metal tones. If it can pull these off then I'm sold! What do you guys think?

• Members

Well that's a good price and I actually quite like those amps. Definitely not the most popular Marshall but they are far better than they get credit for. I have heard about the reliability issues too but I haven't seen them first hand. I have played countless gigs with bands with those heads and they always sound good and I haven't seen one of them have a problem at a gig which is when it matters.

• Members

I've been reading the reviews on the TSL 100 head and it seems as if its pretty common for these heads to be unreliable. I've heard nothing but bad things about them on the amp forums here. I can't think of a single band that uses them and have never even seen anyone post a clip.

Why am I thinking about buying a TSL 100 half stack with the 1960A cabinet, both in perfect condition for $1000? It seems like too good of a deal for me to pass up.

I love 80's metal tones. If it can pull these off then I'm sold! What do you guys think?

Bro unless you need CLEAN tones, dont buy a T.urbo S.uper L.oaf

go for like a 6505 or somthing like that...

xgx

• Members

I never had a problem with my TSL head, tone or reliability. The footswitch, well... those were crap. The head itself was fine. For $1k? Grab it. If nothing else, you can sell it and the cab for a profit if it's not to your liking.

If it's '80s metal tones you're after, both the crunch and lead channels can get you there without a boost.

• Members

Get it and send it to Trace@voodoo or JerryP@FJA to mod.

Then you'll have a modded TSL for less than the price of a regular TSL, and it'll sound even better. And if you don't like it you can sell it on ebay for a profit.

I owned a TSL for a while, and other than the footswitch, it didn't have any issues. I traded it for a DSL, which IMHO has more gain. It's still a good amp at a great price.

Get it

• Members

The TSL100 is one of my fav Marshalls - i've owned one for nearly 7 years now...

No faults at all, even the footswitch still works!

btw, I prefer the JCM2000 series with the 1960AV or Greenback quads, never was a fan of them with the standard 1960A cab

• Members

1000 sounds like great deal

it was my fav marshall when i first got serious about tone, then i liked the DSL, then i liked the 6100, and im dying to try a JVM, which may just become the best amp in my books, if it impresses me as much as what the magzines claim

• Members

i loved the sound of my TSL100...i ran it with an oversized marshall modefour cab. watch the presence knob as the highs can get harsh realy quick
EQ in the fx loop does wonders with this amp.

i had problems with the footswithc (had to replace the cable with a fatter better one) and the connector on the amp (had to glue it in place...stupid design) and also tubes overheating/dying causing damage to parts in the amp itself (either melting/burning out resistor looking thingys)

had 3 costly trips to the amp tech for replacement parts and retubes so in the end i ended up getting rid of it. shame as i really liked the amp

Archived