O/T - Are Scions good cars?

circlejerk

• Members

you will be laughed at. JMHO

So? Kiddies with chrome fuel-filler doors and 8" diameter megaphone mufflers for a 2 liter engine, and a vibrating hatch and license plate due to horribly tuned sub systems get laughed at every day too. And that is for good reason. Toyotas are great durable cars.

• Members
I just heard a Consumer Reports radio spot this morning that talked about how unsafe they were in crash tests. FWIW.

That and you will be laughed at on a regular basis.

I tend to do pretty much the opposite of what Consumer Reports suggest. They are a bunch of left-leaning wackos.

• Members

So? Kiddies with chrome fuel-filler doors and 8" diameter megaphone mufflers for a 2 liter engine, and a vibrating hatch and license plate due to horribly tuned sub systems get laughed at every day too. And that is for good reason. Toyotas are great durable cars.

Exactly. In the same category. I'd rather spend $11000 on a beat up old classic muscle car and get some red neck nitro head to pimp it for me. Spray and pray.

• Members

I have a manual dark green xb with nice wheels and a killer bike rack (looks like a mini hummer) I love it. Great gas milage. $18 fills up my tank. I can fit 2 4x12's and head roadcase plus 2 guitars in the front. I have even put a 8x10 in the back! {censored} looks, it is all about a cheep, reliable, spacious car. My car payments aren't {censored} and I have a 100,000 mile warranty. Laugh all you want.

• Members

I have a manual dark green xb with nice wheels and a killer bike rack (looks like a mini hummer) I love it. Great gas milage. $18 fills up my tank. I can fit 2 4x12's and head roadcase plus 2 guitars in the front. I have even put a 8x10 in the back! {censored} looks, it is all about a cheep, reliable, spacious car. My car payments aren't {censored} and I have a 100,000 mile warranty. Laugh all you want.

+10,000

• Members

Just a note for the enviromentalists on this forum..

The results of a recent "dust to dust" study done in the U.S were published in Car magazine last month.(Study was done by CNW Marketing Research) The study looked at the total enviromental impact, from gathering resources to recycling the car at the end of it's lifetime.

The Scion Xb was found to be the most enviromentally friendly car. :thu:

As a side note, the Xb, along with Range Rover Sport, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and Toyota Landcruiser all handly beat out the Toyota Prius, as well as every other hybrid for enviromental impact.

That's right, your Landrover is better for the enviroment than your hippy neighbors hybrid. :freak::p

So when that idiot down the street complains about all the gas your SUV drinks, remind him that your car will outlast his by a few generation, costs the enviroment less to build, and it's components are, by a far margin, more readily recycled.

• Members

If you heard a radio spot that was an ad, I doubt it was CR...They don't do ads. If it was a DJ or something talking about it, then maybe.

I like Consumer Reports, I think they are a better resource than most other places in finding reliable information...Left leaning? Haha, whatever.

Anyway,

The scions are nice cars for the money. As some have said, they are re-branded Toyotas. The xB and xA share the same engine as the late Toyota Echo (no longer made). I believe it's a 108 hp engine. The tC uses the same base engine as the Celica, along with the mods others have mentioned. From what I've read, the Celica will become a new Scion model once Toyota drops it from their line, either keeping the name or going with a new name for the car.

I've test driven a Scion xB, mainly for the mpg and room factor for gear. It had decent enough pickup, but I think I would tire of it as a highway driver in passing and such. The ride is decent for a car of it's size. My biggest complaint with the one I drove (and most cars of this ilk in general), is that it had super low profile tires. I drove one with the TRD aftermarket rims and the sidewalls of the tires had to be no more than a couple inches tall...WHich makes for a terrible ride, but somewhat decent handling for a small car. I'd prefer the regular ol' 14 or 15 inch rims (either the steel rims with covers or the alloys) for a little better ride. For around 16K with good features, I think it's a good buy. I currently drive a Camry, and I wasn't ready to give up the nice ride of the Camry for a budget car with more room. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I'll keep using for gear (even though it's a POS).

I'm 6'4" and, uh, heavy, and I couldn't believe how comfortable I was in both the front and back seats of the xB.

The cargo area with the back seats up is small, but down it's pretty roomy for a vehicle this small.

• Members

I like Consumer Reports, I think they are a better resource than most other places in finding reliable information...Left leaning? Haha, whatever.

Anyway,
QUOTE]Oh c'mon, you'd have to be blind not to see that. Remember all that hot water they got into for cheating and making stuff up in some of their crash tests. The magazine makes me ill.

Archived