School me on the Fender Vibro-King....

yeagermeister

• Members

The Vibro-King was an original amp designed by Bruce Zinky in the Fender Custom Shop. Based off of the SRV tone, it doesn't have a ton of clean headroom, which makes it great for blues and rock. 40 watts coming from a pair of 6L6 tubes (IIRC - I'm not 100% on that) going into 3 10" speakers.

Anything else?

• Members

Essentially its SRV in a box. Seriously, with a Strat is so easy to nail that tone its ridiculous.

Do you have any specific questions?

Yeah that is easily my favorite Fender I have ever played. Very expensive but worth it to me.

• Members

listen to mayer play at then end of the Eric Clapton's Crossroads music festival dvd on disc one. thats a vibro-king

Uhoh - you mentioned the most hated guitarist on the HCAF. (Along with Zakk Wylde).

But as long as we're on him - that man can play the guitar. Like him or not, his tone is great and his chops are REDICULOUS at times.

• Members

I know a guy who runs a '54 Strat (original) through one of those in a variety band up here. By far the best tone in town for what he does.

I know a guy who uses a relic strat into one and he's an SRV clone and sounds exactly like him. Its ridiculous how close his tone is to Stevies...

Archived