Played the Marshall JVM today...

Myxolidian

• Members
Baaah you're just anxious waiting on the arrival of your own!
:whisper::rawk:

Nah bro, I don't have one comming. I am actually selling off most of my stuff to pay off the credit cards.

That said, Carl is going off because more then half the reviews on the amp were bull{censored}. One guy claimed that there was Popping and there clearly was not. That same asshat said that there was less gain on the Marshall then there was on his powerball and that was clearly BS. Then you had the Squealing Issue which was pretty much Pilot error IMHO.... There is squealing and then there is feedback... Two different things and both can be controlled with some tweaking. I don;t have a problem with people not liking the amp... truly! I have a problem with people spreading myths.

And for the record... there is a NEW Marshall out for just about every player. If you don;t like modern tones or you want something other then what the JVM's gives, you have other amps to choose from.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
No, you won't like this then if you like the older Marshalls which have that 3-D sound. This does some good plexi tones but it won't be as good and 'organic' as the originals.

When I heard the demo at NAMM and I didnt think they did either... Everybody else was raving about them though so I figured my ears were just shot (from jamming the night before).

Im just going to have to wait and play one myself.

I felt the Vintage Modern owned it in the dynamics area.

Thats what Im waiting for. The VM is more my speed. ;)

• Members

Nah bro, I don't have one comming. I am actually selling off most of my stuff to pay off the credit cards.

That said, Carl is going off because more then half the reviews on the amp were bull{censored}. One guy claimed that there was Popping and there clearly was not. That same asshat said that there was less gain on the Marshall then there was on his powerball and that was clearly BS. Then you had the Squealing Issue which was pretty much Pilot error IMHO.... There is squealing and then there is feedback... Two different things and both can be controlled with some tweaking. I don;t have a problem with people not liking the amp... truly! I have a problem with people spreading myths.

The guy badmouthed my "review" even though it was pretty much 99% accurate... (according to every other "review" on HC boards...)

He is just justifying his buy

• Members

you definitely get the kind of marshall tones I like outta your rig based on the clips I've heard.

I just got a single channel JCM800 and it's actually pretty damn good with the dynamics. I think they are pretty similar to the older marshalls but with a master volume ?

me either. Im partial to JMP's and the like. Even with the DSL I used the crunch channel with an OD and never hooked up the footswitch.

Im curious if these JVM have the touch sensitivity/control and the organic quality that I love so much about early 70's Superleads... A Superlead through a straight cab and a PPMV is pure heaven IMO. You can have your guitar volume all the way up, and pick light enough and it still says clean, dig in just a bit and youre riffing away. Grab and bend a note and it sustains forever and you feel this connection with your cabinet as if you're somehow linked with it through an invisible soundwave of mayhem.

Thats what really makes the old marshalls special. And thats why I play them. None of the newer Marshalls have done that for me so thats why Im skeptical about these...

• Members

I just got a single channel JCM800 and it's actually pretty damn good with the dynamics. I think they are pretty similar to the older marshalls but with a master volume ?

they are similar but I think they have a bit more gain and more of a modern top end. More "teeth" to it if you will. And a bit more aggressive sounding mids than the JMP's... YMMV of course. :)

• Members
The JVM has to be getting the most varied reviews of any new amp that's come uot in the past few years. Some guys love it, other guys aren't impressed, Some act like it's defective from the factory.

It also seems that the amp get's more favorable reviews when higher wattage speakers are used. Then again George used GB for his clips and they sound real good through my little speakers. Oh well, I get mine tomorrow. We'll see then.

I hope it kicks @ss for you. :cool:

• Members
me either. Im partial to JMP's and the like. Even with the DSL I used the crunch channel with an OD and never hooked up the footswitch.

Im curious if these JVM have the touch sensitivity/control and the organic quality that I love so much about early 70's Superleads... A Superlead through a straight cab and a PPMV is pure heaven IMO. You can have your guitar volume all the way up, and pick light enough and it still says clean, dig in just a bit and youre riffing away. Grab and bend a note and it sustains forever and you feel this connection with your cabinet as if you're somehow linked with it through an invisible soundwave of mayhem.

Thats what really makes the old marshalls special. And thats why I play them. None of the newer Marshalls have done that for me so thats why Im skeptical about these...

When you are on the clean channel put it on the yellow mode and treat it like an old plexi and you might be surprised. Dime the amp volume, bass low mid treb and pres cranked and hit some WHO chords. If you can't find dynamics in there, its as Ralph would say.."pilot error". :)

• Members

From the way Ive had the JVM set up and time Ive had to play with it .... no. That said Greazy may have found different with other settings. To me it seems like they designed it so that you get those tones by changing the gain structure via the foot switch not the volume knob on your guitar.

My D60 is exactly had you described your Superbass and I like that it does that alot. The main reason Im keepng the JVM is it sounds great at lower volumes for the times I cant play loud. Can get the 80's liquid lead tone and it's a great studio piece IMHO. It covers different frequecies that the VHT may not and vice versa.

JVM's a cool amp but not one like you described. Maybe the VM would be closer to that.

• Members
When you are on the clean channel put it on the yellow mode and treat it like an old plexi and you might be surprised. Dime the amp volume, bass low mid treb and pres cranked and hit some WHO chords. If you can't find dynamics in there, its as Ralph would say.."pilot error".
:)

Well I stand corrected. Thanks for posting that Greazy I'll give that a shot. Seems this amp has alot of tones to found in it. :cool:

• Members
Man you are on the job. Does your left nut tingle alerting you a negative post has been made about the Splawn amps?
:D

I'm just curious as to what people are saying about the new marshalls, that's all..and being the thread starter owns the same amp as I do and I dig his clips, I wanted to hear what he had to say about it =)

he posted negatively about my amp and my clips! the double whammy...LOL...but I've yet to lose sleep over it ;)

• Members
I'm just curious as to what people are saying about the new marshalls, that's all..and being the thread starter owns the same amp as I do and I dig his clips, I wanted to hear what he had to say about it =)

he posted negatively about my amp and my clips! the double whammy...LOL...but I've yet to lose sleep over it
;)

I know Im just messing with you.... you Splawn zealot. :p

• Members
Then that leaves us with the question of why Marshall designed the amp to have unusable gain on 75% of the knob. Why even make it capable of that instead of spreading the usable gain range around the whole knob?

Then the people that crank the gain on their 5150's up to 10 will complain about how the JVM doesn't have enough. You know you can't win no matter what... :freak:

• Members

...The Regular Marshall fans who are satisfied with dsl's and tsl' will probably have mixed feelings about this amp...

That's why I'm holding out any opinion at all until I get to spend some time with one. I actually think the Marshall DSL amps are some of the best sounding amps around, but I know others disagree totally.

Chris

• Members
THE DIPPING IN VOLUME IS TO STOP THE REVERB BLEEDING

I dunno how many times I've said this but it's driving me insane. If you didn't have the dip in volume then the reverb would bleed into other channels. Do you really want a big feedback of distorted reverb over your clean channel?!

And Earthblues is the worst troll I've ever seen. At least Bluesaholick had a good idea. This guy just copied him, poorly.
:blah:

How many times do I have to say that it's poor design. Plenty of Reverb amps have seamless fast channel switching. It's {censored} design.

Many, many people write music that involves fast seamless switches from clean to drive and back again, just because you don't doesn't mean it's not an issue.

So shut the {censored} up.

• Members
they are similar but I think they have a bit more gain and more of a modern top end. More "teeth" to it if you will. And a bit more aggressive sounding mids than the JMP's... YMMV of course.

I had a JMP 2203 and a JCM800 2203 side-by-side (I owned both) and there was no difference in tone (except for the 6550 tubes in the JMP and EL34s in the JCM800.)

I've also seen several techs say the only difference is the cosmetics and I think that's right.

• Members
I had a JMP 2203 and a JCM800 2203 side-by-side (I owned both) and there was no difference in tone (except for the 6550 tubes in the JMP and EL34s in the JCM800.)

I've also seen several techs say the only difference is the cosmetics and I think that's right.

We will have to agree to disagree...

Ive owned numerous early 70's JMP Non Master Volumes, and a Master Volume JMP, and a first year JCM 800 and the first year 800 sounded brighter, angrier, and more even a tad more compressed to my ears... Again though, YMMV. :)

• Members
That's why I'm holding out any opinion at all until I get to spend some time with one. I actually think the Marshall DSL amps are some of the best sounding amps around, but I know others disagree totally.

Chris

Which is also one of the reason Why I value your opinion.... For the simple fact that you will actually try the amp out instead of relying on what others think (myself included ;) )

• Members
played the JVM last night and loved it. It was very versatile and i think the tones were pretty damn killer. Dare I say, I was thinking of what to sell to buy one.

Sup Jdub!!

I had a feeling that you would dig that amp ;):D

Where ya been? Better yet.... How have ya been?

• Members
We will have to agree to disagree...

Ive owned numerous early 70's JMP Non Master Volumes, and a Master Volume JMP, and a first year JCM 800 and the first year 800 sounded brighter, angrier, and more even a tad more compressed to my ears... Again though, YMMV.

I'd bet money it was modded. Alot of people talk about the single channel JCM800s having more distortion, more low end, more aggressive voice, etc... But I'm telling you, I had a completely stock JMP 2203 and a completely stock JCM800 2203 side-by-side and they were identical with the exception of the slight variance in tone from different types of power tubes. SERIOUSLY! Doesn't the Marshall book even say that the only differences are the cosmetics? I don't know, because I don't have the book.

Could just be why people say they weren't real consistent too, I suppose.

Archived