ibanez S series sound fatter than RG's?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

Do the ibanez saber guitars sound fatter/bigger/thicker/etc. than the RG series? I know they have thin bodies, but from the neck joint to the bridge they are thicker than the RG's I think... just wondering if they have a bit of a thicker sound than the rg's or not, and figured I'd ask since I'm sure a lot of the guys here have played both

still looking for a nice shred guitar, heh...

• Members

Yes, they sound thicker then the RG's.

For one, they are mahogany, most RG's are asswood.

Second, a neck pickup on a 22 fret guitar is in a better position harmonicaly then on a 24 fret guitar and sounds a lot fatter.

I have a mohogany j-custom RG7cst that is the best of both worlds, but I'd still prefer a 22 fret guitar.

-W

• Members

the s series is made out of mahagony, while the RG series is usually made out of basswood. the higher end RGs are mahagony as well.

as for thickness of the body, i'm pretty sure that RG's are thicker everywhere.

what i would do if i were you would be to get a basswood RG and install a tonezone in the bridge.

• Members

I think they sound a tiny bit fatter but it makes little difference IMO. I aint gonna compromise 2 frets, a playing style and the like when I can just turn up the bass
:p

word, thanks for the feedback. so, you think a nice mahogany RG wouldn't sound all that different from a mahogany S?

• Members

the s series is made out of mahagony, while the RG series is usually made out of basswood. the higher end RGs are mahagony as well.

as for thickness of the body, i'm pretty sure that RG's are thicker everywhere.

what i would do if i were you would be to get a basswood RG and install a tonezone in the bridge.

well, I've already decided that I want only a mahogany ibanez.... so the diff woods aren't going to matter... I haven't held the two side by side, so I don't know about the thickness. the RG's are thicker? that's even better....

and for the pickups, I've already pretty much decided on going all out on a custom set of bareknuckles... I'm just trying to find a nice playing and sounding shred guitar first. the thicker/deeper sounding, the better

• Members

word, thanks for the feedback. so, you think a nice mahogany RG wouldn't sound all that different from a mahogany S?

Honestly no. I had an RG321MH (which was made out of mahogany) and it sounded like an S series guitar.

I'm not a massive fan of mahogany guitars though and I sold it. I prefer Basswood/maple Ibanez's that are brighter because then I can cut through a {censored} more and turn up the bass if I want more oompth but I can never get rid of the mush with mahogany guitars. Mabye they just don't like me :p

• Members

Honestly no. I had an RG321MH (which was made out of mahogany) and it sounded like an S series guitar.

I'm not a massive fan of mahogany guitars though and I sold it. I prefer Basswood/maple Ibanez's that are brighter because then I can cut through a {censored} more and turn up the bass if I want more oompth but I can never get rid of the mush with mahogany guitars. Mabye they just don't like me
:p

ah. for strictly clean playing I like bright guitars.. thus why I just got a tele, but for any heavy style of music I like darker/deeper sounding guitars

• Members

well, I've already decided that I want only a mahogany ibanez.... so the diff woods aren't going to matter... I haven't held the two side by side, so I don't know about the thickness. the RG's are thicker? that's even better....

and for the pickups, I've already pretty much decided on going all out on a custom set of bareknuckles... I'm just trying to find a nice playing and sounding shred guitar first. the thicker/deeper sounding, the better

the RG's are physically thicker.

that doesn't mean they are sonically thicker.

mahagony isn't absolutly necessary for a sonically thick sound.

paul gilbert, steve vai, joe satriani all use guitars not made out of mahagony, and they all have thick tones (satch sometimes).

• Members

Yes, they sound thicker then the RG's.

For one, they are mahogany, most RG's are asswood.

Second, a neck pickup on a 22 fret guitar is in a better position harmonicaly then on a 24 fret guitar and sounds a lot fatter.

I have a mohogany j-custom RG7cst that is the best of both worlds, but I'd still prefer a 22 fret guitar.

-W

hmm.. I didn't think about that too much. I was leaning towards having 24 frets just for the extra playability. I guess the 22 frets would have a beefier sounding neck pickup though since it's higher up.. and that is what I'm wanting... with these questions I've pretty much been specifically talking about doing leads on the neck... I like a really thick, warm neck p'up sound for leads...

• Members

the RG's are physically thicker.

that doesn't mean they are sonically thicker.

mahagony isn't absolutly necessary for a sonically thick sound.

paul gilbert, steve vai, joe satriani all use guitars not made out of mahagony, and they all have thick tones (satch sometimes).

well, maybe not, but I'm sure it definitely helps. I love the sound of les pauls... but I sold the one I had and I'm moving away from that kinda guitar, because of the playability of shred style guitars.. so, basically... I'm wanting as fat of a sound as possible from a shred guitar. heh

• Members

well, maybe not, but I'm sure it definitely helps. I love the sound of les pauls... but I sold the one I had and I'm moving away from that kinda guitar, because of the playability of shred style guitars.. so, basically... I'm wanting as fat of a sound as possible from a shred guitar. heh

what you might look at is carvin then.

i'm saying this because of this:

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=CT4M

specifications-wise, its very similar to a LP, but has more of a PRS/Strat shape.

• Members

what you might look at is carvin then.

i'm saying this because of this:

specifications-wise, its very similar to a LP, but has more of a PRS/Strat shape.

ah, thanks for showing me that... hmmm over 2 inches thick at the center of the body, and also has a mahogany neck too.... that probably sounds more like an LP than any other strat shape guitar I've seen... does it still have a fast neck like the DC guitars they make?

• Members

ah, thanks for showing me that... hmmm over 2 inches thick at the center of the body, and also has a mahogany neck too.... that probably sounds more like an LP than any other strat shape guitar I've seen... does it still have a fast neck like the DC guitars they make?

as far as i know, yes.

• Members

I have an S470 and I bought it because of the all mahoghany body and 22 frets specifically. Plays and sounds great.

Ibanez makes an SA model which has a flat back so it has even more mass.

Get the solid mahoghany in either model for the tone you mention as some quilted and flamed models have a maple cap.

Archived