Roland JP-8000...am I crazy or is this thing awesome?

halluxone

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm here to let you know that, yes, you are crazy. But so are most of the other KSS losers. You guys sit around making up one fantasy after another, talking about the so-called dream synthesizer. Never mind that most of you have already bought (or more likely stole) a synthesizer that has capabilities that go way beyond your ability to program patches for it. A bunch of no-good presetters. Just once in your life, stop looking for more gear and make more with what you already have.

Yes, you're welcome.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by swardle View Post
I'm here to let you know that, yes, you are crazy. But so are most of the other KSS losers. You guys sit around making up one fantasy after another, talking about the so-called dream synthesizer. Never mind that most of you have already bought (or more likely stole) a synthesizer that has capabilities that go way beyond your ability to program patches for it. A bunch of no-good presetters. Just once in your life, stop looking for more gear and make more with what you already have.

Yes, you're welcome.
Jeez, you'd think I slapped your mamma with that kind of answer!mad.gif
Relax buddy, no need to get your panties in a wad over other people's desire to expand their musical horizons. Next time I think of buying more gear, I'll remember your sage, if misguided, advice. I make plenty with what I've got, just never had an analog synth before and this fit the bill financially and musically for ME. Not you, apparently.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by halluxone View Post
Jeez...
i take it you haven't met Swardle before? ignore him, he's the resident fool.

I make plenty with what I've got, just never had an analog synth before...
you still don't have an analog synth. wink.gif

• Members

Yes, that is true....it's virtual analog, my bad. But you know, if I were to really learn analog programming at this stage of the game, I honestly think it would be WAY over my head. That's not a knock on true analog, but in this day of i-everything and virtual-everything, is there a need for it? Does a room full of modular synths make me a legit musician? Don't really know, but after playing the bread and butter sounds of pianos, e-pianos, clonewheels, etc, it's just a fascinating new type of sound construction for me.

And no, I hadn't had the pleasure of meeting the village idiot yet, so thanks for the warning!

Peace,
Allen

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by halluxone

View Post

Yes, that is true....it's virtual analog, my bad. But you know, if I were to really learn analog programming at this stage of the game, I honestly think it would be WAY over my head.

don't worry, i was splitting hairs. not sure what you mean by being in over your head learning "analog programming", most true analogs don't do much of anything that the JP doesn't (more often they do far less). the JP offers the same great interface that a lot of beloved analogs do, you're all set there. some people think they need a true analog (in some cases maybe they do), but don't let it bother you in the slightest. you're better off for it, be happy with what you've got. it's a great synth.

• Members

Actually, I'm seriously considering selling my Jupiter-8 and replacing it with an 8080 ... (To go next to V-Synth XT ... which is nice but not quite as immediate as I'd like in a device ... )

Anybody know how JP8000 sound compares to the V-Synth's VA engine? (The only time I had a chance to play with one, there was also a Jupiter-8 in the room ... my first time playing one ... ) But I remember rather liking it and, for me, V-Synth VA section comes much closer to some of the Jupiter 8 character (lush, wide with Rolandy characteristics) than most other gear ... ???

• Members

double posting this from a few pages back wasn't visable untill today. new memers with under 50 posts needs to be mod peviewed for anti spam ,but I straightened that out.
I disagre that 8080 is much better. yer link is broke. only difference i know of is 8080's distortion (can add cheap guitar fx. just make sure 8000's volume is low enough so it sounds normal cause keys and gutars have diff output levels. raise output on fx box if it has 1 to go louder. a mic atunator might help) and 10 poly instead of 8.
What sets the 8000 apart from almost all other synths is the interface, especially the left side can do all this spur of the moment with one hand while playing with the other: adjust lfo amount with mod stick, change lfo rate and depth knobs with fingers (both at once takes some practice), palm for assignable ribbon controller, and mod stick the pitch. We can program software to make like infinate simultanous changes but it's different when it's spur of the moment, same thing for simultanously tweaking filter res and cut which is much easier with 8000/8080's sliders than with knobs. once you learn this, bet you'll like it. some knobs like osc 2 pitch slighy get stuck on purpose at 0 is good reset them correctly quickly. Etc, the interface is maybe unmatched.
I like Feedback oscs, they're hard to find. sh-201's is not mono like 8000's. they sound diff to me in a side by side comparison (on bass sounds which i mostly use it for201 has more of a growl for lack of a better word but the JP's has a wider range throughout tweaking the ' feedback harmonics' sider . presets are great, each has a distinct elborate sound. they're hard to out do, feels like cheating using them. not a big supersaw guy, can just layer detuned saws is software nowadays anyway.
OP, if i remember correct, the vid manual isn't as good as the .pdf one. Just fiddle w/ everything and you'll get it soon. Only hard part is envelopes, filter env i think's the trickiest. not much in the menues.
Amp env clicks on lowest/fastest setting. I like it on Wall Bob preset though. lotsa vintage analogues click fyi. Read you can set the slider just above where it clicks and it will be just as fast without the click.
Built like shjt though and most's navigation buttons are faulty by now. Read it's not the 'best' synth engine, has some alisaing, etc, but I don't even care considering what else it's capable of. i actually like the cheap feelin keyboard too, easy to rip on etc.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by liliththekitten View Post
That sounds right, I think they were $500 something new, idk I got a demo unit when that's all they had before they brought out the B.

There is a MS2000 kyboard for $600 on my local Craigslist, seems high, gunna save up for a Pro One or MonoPoly though
ms2k was around $1099 new.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by halluxone View Post
No kidding CR, I have seen quite a few peeps from this area in the forum....I bet we've probably run into each other at the local music places a few times and didn't even know it. Pretty sure we could learn a thing or two from each other along the way! My place, happy hour, 2 weeks. Bring your axe and a cold beverage. wink.gif
Somehow I missed this part of your post earlier smile.gif

Yeah how about we Atlantans get together at some point? We've got two in, who else is coming smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by vox345 View Post
double posting this from a few pages back wasn't visable untill today. new memers with under 50 posts needs to be mod peviewed for anti spam ,but I straightened that out.
I disagre that 8080 is much better. yer link is broke. only difference i know of is 8080's distortion (can add cheap guitar fx. just make sure 8000's volume is low enough so it sounds normal cause keys and gutars have diff output levels. raise output on fx box if it has 1 to go louder. a mic atunator might help) and 10 poly instead of 8.
What sets the 8000 apart from almost all other synths is the interface, especially the left side can do all this spur of the moment with one hand while playing with the other: adjust lfo amount with mod stick, change lfo rate and depth knobs with fingers (both at once takes some practice), palm for assignable ribbon controller, and mod stick the pitch. We can program software to make like infinate simultanous changes but it's different when it's spur of the moment, same thing for simultanously tweaking filter res and cut which is much easier with 8000/8080's sliders than with knobs. once you learn this, bet you'll like it. some knobs like osc 2 pitch slighy get stuck on purpose at 0 is good reset them correctly quickly. Etc, the interface is maybe unmatched.
I like Feedback oscs, they're hard to find. sh-201's is not mono like 8000's. they sound diff to me in a side by side comparison (on bass sounds which i mostly use it for201 has more of a growl for lack of a better word but the JP's has a wider range throughout tweaking the ' feedback harmonics' sider . presets are great, each has a distinct elborate sound. they're hard to out do, feels like cheating using them. not a big supersaw guy, can just layer detuned saws is software nowadays anyway.
OP, if i remember correct, the vid manual isn't as good as the .pdf one. Just fiddle w/ everything and you'll get it soon. Only hard part is envelopes, filter env i think's the trickiest. not much in the menues.
Amp env clicks on lowest/fastest setting. I like it on Wall Bob preset though. lotsa vintage analogues click fyi. Read you can set the slider just above where it clicks and it will be just as fast without the click.
Built like shjt though and most's navigation buttons are faulty by now. Read it's not the 'best' synth engine, has some alisaing, etc, but I don't even care considering what else it's capable of. i actually like the cheap feelin keyboard too, easy to rip on etc.
From Don Solaris's website...

* 10 voice polyphonic compared to the 8000 which is 8 voice.
* The JP-8000 does not have additional noise generator on OSC2. And that is not just ''noise'' but additional sine oscillator (see oscillators section).
* A 12 band filter bank for processing internal or external sounds.
* JP-8080 has two external inputs that you can use just like an oscillator. There you can apply FM, Ring Modulator, Filter, envelopes, effects to incoming signal.
* True vocoder. Compared to most other synths where you plug the mic and sing while playing internal tone generator. On JP-8080's vocoder you got another input for the carrier. If you want you can use your voice as modulator and a jet plane engine as a carrier. That's how real vocoders perform.
* Voice Morph. Maybe not the best term, but this feature lets you use sound input as a controller. Just like you are tweaking a mod wheel, but instead of mod wheel it is your voice (or external sound of anything you imagine) changing any parameters you desire - filter cutoff, oscillator pitch, amplitude etc. Powerful and unique function.
* Made of metal vs 8000 plastic.

• Members

^damn. too bad that's not in the 8000 cause i love the left side's tweakablity. 8000 doesn't have a sine wave and i guess neither does the 8080, but there are work arounds to make them sound just like a sine wave.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by zoink View Post

* 10 voice polyphonic compared to the 8000 which is 8 voice.
* The JP-8000 does not have additional noise generator on OSC2. And that is not just ''noise'' but additional sine oscillator (see oscillators section).
* A 12 band filter bank for processing internal or external sounds.
* JP-8080 has two external inputs that you can use just like an oscillator. There you can apply FM, Ring Modulator, Filter, envelopes, effects to incoming signal.
* True vocoder. Compared to most other synths where you plug the mic and sing while playing internal tone generator. On JP-8080's vocoder you got another input for the carrier. If you want you can use your voice as modulator and a jet plane engine as a carrier. That's how real vocoders perform.
* Voice Morph. Maybe not the best term, but this feature lets you use sound input as a controller. Just like you are tweaking a mod wheel, but instead of mod wheel it is your voice (or external sound of anything you imagine) changing any parameters you desire - filter cutoff, oscillator pitch, amplitude etc. Powerful and unique function.
* Made of metal vs 8000 plastic.
JP8080 also has a unisono mode for that massive moon sized - cheese shaped supersaw lead. Pretty handy considering that's the synth's only real purpose.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zoink

View Post

DON'T YOU DARE be quoting from that no-good flea-bitten mongrel. He's no good. He's of the Devil. And don't be going over to his gearslutz website. It's the Devil's playground!!

• Members

Went back to the same music store where I got the JP8K and they have another one! BUT, it looks more beat up and for some odd reason, it's now priced at $500. When I asked my friendly music store dude why it was $150 more than the one I got, he sheepishly admitted "I put the wrong price on that thing and got in some trouble for it, man!" Just to ensure the Karma didn't extend her inevitable wrath later, I picked up a vocal mic, stand, and headphones at a cheap clip. Still a damn fun board to play though...

• 8 months later...

Archived