Roland JP-8000...am I crazy or is this thing awesome?

halluxone

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought the An1x interface was terrible when I first saw one and even though it was basically a different-colored CS1x case I liked the CS1x better. Never got one at the time but I did get a 2x on sale and it wasn't great and I sold it for a loss. I do want an An1x though. The AN200 would have been great if it had a keyboard or at least more knobs.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by zoink View Post
To anyone looking at buying a JP8000, I would say that if you have another MIDI controller, try to find a JP8080 instead.
yer link is dead. I disgree with your recomendation. As far as I know, only difference is 8080 has distortion and 10 poly no 8. Can add an innexpensive guitar distortion pedal to 8000. Make the JP volume low enough so it doesn't overload it and sound like shjt. synths and guitars have different output level. Raise the volume on the fx box if it has one to go louder. A mic atunator migh help. Anyway, I think the left side of 8000 sets it apart from maybe every other synth: can spur of the moment (opposed to how can do almost infinate simultanous changes in software, but not spur of the moment) do all this at once with just one hand: modstick level of lfo and fingers for lfo rate and depth knobs (take some practice, same for filter res and cut simultanously, which is much easier with sliders instead of knobs, but once you learn this you won't look back...), palm for assignable ribbon controller if yer good, and mod stick the pitch.
jp8k 1 of my favs. Feedback osc is clutch. not a big supersaw guy, can just layer detuned saws in software nowadays anyway. I actually like the cheap feeling keyboard. presets are great, every one has such a distinct and elaborate character, they're hard to out do and feel like cheeting to use. Synth's built like shjt though, most's navigation buttons are faulty by now, nothing else though from the 5 or so I knew.
OP, If i remember correct, the vid manual kinda sucked, better with the .pdf. Everything's simple and not much menue diving though. Just change all the knobs and sliders and you'll get it. Envelops are tricky though, especially filter env. Amp env clicks on fastest/lowest setting. I like it on Wall Bob preset though. Read you can raise the slider just above lowest setting and it will be just as fast without the click.

• Members

i had immense lust for the JP-8000 when it came out, i was just getting into synths at this time. i still think it's one of the most gorgeous synths ever made. unfortunately, i had to settle for a Juno-106.

anyone remember how much the 8000 retailed for? for some reason i'm thinking it was about $1200 or so. either way, it was out of my league at the time.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Unfed View Post
i had immense lust for the JP-8000 when it came out, i was just getting into synths at this time. i still think it's one of the most gorgeous synths ever made. unfortunately, i had to settle for a Juno-106.

anyone remember how much the 8000 retailed for? for some reason i'm thinking it was about $1200 or so. either way, it was out of my league at the time.
I think it retailed for around $1299, IIRC.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
zoink, it's definitely good to have AN1x as well. Get one. Nao! thumb.gif

You're really not helping my obvious need to downsize.

But.... twist my arm .... okay, I'll get one.

smile.gif

• Members

I disagre that 8080 is much better. yer link is broke. only difference i know of is 8080's distortion (can add cheap guitar fx. just make sure 8000's volume is low enough so it sounds normal cause keys and gutars have diff output levels. raise output on fx box if it has 1 to go louder. a mic atunator might help) and 10 poly instead of 8.
What sets the 8000 apart from almost all other synths is the interface, especially the left side can do all this spur of the moment with one hand while playing with the other: adjust lfo amount with mod stick, change lfo rate and depth knobs with fingers (both at once takes some practice), palm for assignable ribbon controller, and mod stick the pitch. We can program software to make like infinate simultanous changes but it's different when it's spur of the moment, same thing for simultanously tweaking filter res and cut which is much easier with 8000/8080's sliders than with knobs. once you learn this, bet you'll like it. some knobs like osc 2 pitch slighy get stuck on purpose at 0 is good reset them correctly quickly. Etc, the interface is maybe unmatched.
I like Feedback oscs, they're hard to find. sh-201's is not mono like 8000's. they sound diff to me in a side by side comparison (on bass sounds which i mostly use it for201 has more of a growl for lack of a better word but the JP's has a wider range throughout tweaking the ' feedback harmonics' sider . presets are great, each has a distinct elborate sound. they're hard to out do, feels like cheating using them. not a big supersaw guy, can just layer detuned saws is software nowadays anyway.
OP, if i remember correct, the vid manual isn't as good as the .pdf one. Just fiddle w/ everything and you'll get it soon. Only hard part is envelopes, filter env i think's the trickiest. not much in the menues.
Amp env clicks on lowest/fastest setting. I like it on Wall Bob preset though. lotsa vintage analogues click fyi. Read you can set the slider just above where it clicks and it will be just as fast without the click.
Built like shjt though and most's navigation buttons are faulty by now. Read it's not the 'best' synth engine, has some alisaing, etc, but I don't even care considering what else it's capable of. i actually like the cheap feelin keyboard too, easy to rip on etc.

• Members

No kidding CR, I have seen quite a few peeps from this area in the forum....I bet we've probably run into each other at the local music places a few times and didn't even know it. Pretty sure we could learn a thing or two from each other along the way! My place, happy hour, 2 weeks. Bring your axe and a cold beverage. wink.gif

I did actually try the Venom, Gaia, and Ultranova at Sam Ash a couple of weeks ago to see if a smaller, intro to VA synth would work. REALLY didn't like the Gaia's keyboard action at all. Felt cheap and plasticky but the UI was pretty easy. Venom was pretty interesting but didn't like the UI and the action was not great either. Ultranova was pretty cool and I was pretty close to picking up a used on local CL for $500 that's been posted for a few months now. It's a few hundred more than I wanted to spend but the keybed was slick. Unfortunately it would take months for a newb like me to get the hang of it.

Maybe it's the just the novelty of having my first synthy synth, but I am blown away at the possibilities!

Cheers,
Allen

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Unfed View Post
Actually, the JP8000 retailed for $2,295, in 1997. I picked up mine for 600 bucks, back in 04'. The interface alone is worth it! I really like the sounds, too.

2008keyboards.jpg

• Members

well, that's list price, so maybe retail was around $1600 or so? thanks for finding that out though! seeing the VS-880 on there brings back memories too. i would have loved one of those back then.

• Members

Sorry but that AN1X ain't no supersaw... supersaw's a beautifully sound thing that's also quite delicate in a way... The Virus has done a good job even though it's got a different character to its sound. The Arturia MiniBrute also pulled it off rather well, I was impressed by it.

• Members

who cares about the yammerhaul analx in a JP8000 thread? I don't HAVE TO get an anx, I don't want an aNX, never heard nor care to hear the analx. I have a JP8000, it is great, sounds fantastic, love it, don't need to care about the analx at all on any level ever.

While we're side tracking, the OP should get a Jupiter 8 and Oberhiem and Andromeda while he's at it. And a DX7 and some Kurzwilly. makes as much sense as pushing an ANalX in a JP8000 fan thread

Archived