Roland JP-8000...am I crazy or is this thing awesome?

halluxone

• Members

Ha! I nearly spit out my drink when I read yer post wwwjd! I can appreciate the love a man, or a dragon for that matter, has for his beloved AN1x. There's clearly some manufacturer bias when I read these hilarious, if not completely off topic, posts! People will crap on Roland for their perceived corporate domination and lack of "original" updates to their modern devices...oh well, I still have fanboy love for them in certain respects. Now if you can find me an A6 for $350, I will hail Alesis as the greatest ever. It's not even in the same league of course but for what I am doing, the JP a nice starter synth.

While I totally respect Yamaha's products, where are they in the analog world now? Did they just accept the fact that digital pianos and workstations will outsell analog 100:1? Smart financial move maybe...let Moog, Dave Smith, Waldorf, and Access dominate this market. But at a ridiculous price. I still can't understand why some of these cost so damn much?

JP-8000 and AN1x....shake hands and go to your corner. No low blows and keep the aliasing to a minimum. smile.gif

Allen

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ha. I'm sure the an1x is a fine machine. but why is it being yammered on about in a JP8000 thread? I wouldn't go into an AN1X thread and go "but, but, but... the JP8000 is good too!!!"

I'm just drinking.

water.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Unfed

View Post

oh, wow, surprised to see that from Kurzweil.

Yes, me too. And bear in mind, this is with the supposedly antialiased VA1 sync square oscillator (that takes EIGHT DSP blocks, that's 2 layers of polyphony)!

Other VA1 oscillators are better in this regard, not aliasing as much as this. Old single and double block oscillators start aliasing right above middle C...

AN1x kills my Kurzweil on such hardsync sounds. Absolutely clean even in top treble range!

• Members

Perhaps JP-8k has more controls, but its synthesis is more limited in scope. wink.gif

It all depends what you're looking for. I looked for flexibility and sound quality. In that regard, AN1x easily tops JP-8k. So that's what I got instead. It's easy to edit it via PC editor, and on stage I can control it with controllers from my Kurzweil along with her own controls. Win-win.

• Members

I had an MS2000 - they sound good, good range of sounds and its hard to make them sound *bad* IMO, a lot of ppl don't seem to like them. If you've heard the original MicroKorg, you've heard the MS, they are nearly the same. The MS does have the better interface and the mod sequencer makes a lot of difference for getting trippy, evolving sequenced thingies. Also two MS2k's can be poly-chained for 8 notes polyphony. Downside is that they have the same crappy AC wallwart jack as the old Electribes, even the rackmount as the picture shows, and they break. I think the Prophecy sounds better - esp for monophonic leads and bass - but I really like all the old Korgs. Worth $300.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by liliththekitten

View Post

I had an MS2000 - they sound good, good range of sounds and its hard to make them sound *bad* IMO, a lot of ppl don't seem to like them. If you've heard the original MicroKorg, you've heard the MS, they are nearly the same. The MS does have the better interface and the mod sequencer makes a lot of difference for getting trippy, evolving sequenced thingies. Also two MS2k's can be poly-chained for 8 notes polyphony. Downside is that they have the same crappy AC wallwart jack as the old Electribes, even the rackmount as the picture shows, and they break. I think the Prophecy sounds better - esp for monophonic leads and bass - but I really like all the old Korgs. Worth $300.

If you can use a microkorg you ought to be a nuclear scientist or something cop.gif

And supposedly it's a "noob" synth. Give those guitarists some respect. I do pull my hair out if I had to program a MicroKorg.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildragon

Oh but it can pull supersaw extremely well, you know (it has Dual Unison mode ). Without aliasing like a mother{censored}er.

It's like

JP8000:

saw1.jpg

Vs.

ANAl1x:

dep_7725206-Plastic-toy-saw-and-lath-iso

To be fair I haven't ever even seen an AN1x. People here can't stop raving about it though.

Here is a random fact, the JP8000 has heaps and bounds faster filter envelope than for example my Kurzweil PC3 facepalm.gif. In fact the first... maybe 30 decay values of the filter are all faster than the kurzweil's fastest. Got to wonder if AN1x or microkorg can keep up with that.

• Members

I tried out the MS2000 and really liked its sounds as well, but they are tough to find in good shape! Seems like all the analog tweakers get a little frisky with the knobs, but it can REALLY make some cool sounds too. There was a MS2000B (the one with the vocoder) recently on local CL for $600 and I was torn between that and the JP-8000. Apples to apples, I just like the UI better on the Roland...soundwise, the MS held its own certainly. Strangely enough, somebody listed another JP-8000 on CL today for $600 as well. Probably a little high with both on those asking prices but side by side to the MS2000B didn't appeal as much to my noob analog skills, ie, none.
Allen

• Members

True they all have vocoders, the B just added the jack. The vocoder could be more intelligible - its only 16 bands (MK is 8 for some reason and its crappier) - and its great for making really trippy vocals and vocal-based synth sounds. I kind of miss it now.

For $600 it better have the keyboard, thats almost Radias rack prices. The Radias has always intrigued me since its an MS2K 2.0 only better - I don't like the sound of the R3 and MKXL as much as the MS/MK but it seems you can make so much more good sounds on your own.

I don't see a lot of either for sale, I think ppl hang on to them. I didn't because mine broke (the AC jack) and now I kind of miss it but I think I will buy a Z1.

I like Roland's UI on their VAs better than Korg's too.

I found the MicroKorg really easy to program, it basically a DW8000 interface only better. The computer programmer is the way to go with those though and the MS2K interface slays it. I do like being able to turn off one of 8 arp steps on the MK, that was a great feature.

• Members

There are three MS2000Rs posted on Guitar Center's used site, for $250, $300, and $350. I'm temped, but I just really don't need another cheap synth right now. I may get bant for this, but I'm sort of thinking the next musical toy I buy might be a nice electrical geetar.

• Members

Yeah, the Pro 1 sizzles but they're kind of scarce, and the MonoPoly was/is very under appreciated. I've always liked Korg's sound. For a while in the 80's I had a Juno-60 and a Poly61. When I got a Kawai SX210 (same filter as the P61) I demoted the Juno to string/pad duty.

btw, GC used has two Z1s for $500 and $700.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by liliththekitten

View Post

The Radias has always intrigued me since its an MS2K 2.0 only better - I don't like the sound of the R3 and MKXL as much as the MS/MK but it seems you can make so much more good sounds on your own.

R3 and MKXL are both from the Radias engine. Aside from having only one mod sequencer, the R3 is actually much more powerful than the MS2K. MKXL has no mod sequencer though. I was saving for the MS2K till the R3 came along. Less knobs and keys, yes, but the LED knobs with mini screens make it ridiculously easy to program.

Unfortunately, many of the complaints about the Radias engine sound being "brighter" compared to the MS2K is because it has an EQ section. It's zeroed out by default and almost none of the presets used it to boost up the low end.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Plink Floyd

View Post

Yeah, the Pro 1 sizzles but they're kind of scarce, and the MonoPoly was/is very under appreciated. I've always liked Korg's sound. For a while in the 80's I had a Juno-60 and a Poly61. When I got a Kawai SX210 (same filter as the P61) I demoted the Juno to string/pad duty.

btw, GC used has two Z1s for $500 and $700.

Yeah, the Korg sound is great!

Thx on the Z1, sounds good, wanna get some more use out of my Prophecy - til its rode hard and put up wet - but it seems they would go together well since they're supposed to sound a bit different.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Re-Member

View Post

R3 and MKXL are both from the Radias engine. Aside from having only one mod sequencer, the R3 is actually much more powerful than the MS2K. MKXL has no mod sequencer though. I was saving for the MS2K till the R3 came along. Less knobs and keys, yes, but the LED knobs with mini screens make it ridiculously easy to program.

Unfortunately, many of the complaints about the Radias engine sound being "brighter" compared to the MS2K is because it has an EQ section. It's zeroed out by default and almost none of the presets used it to boost up the low end.

Of those 3, I would probably get the Radias just because of the interface. But I need to try one since I don't care for the R3 and MKXL so much and the Radius is now harder to find, last time I searched GC's site all they had was a used Radias-R for $800.

Archived