can the bad cat hot cat do modern high gain?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I know the hot cat has really nice cleans and a really nice unique overdrive.. just wondering how modern can it get? I've heard some people say it can get very modern, and others say not so much.... so I don't really know, and therefore asking you :wave:

can the hot cat do modern metal? :confused:

• Members

I saw Converge (I think that was the name of the band) using them live, and athough I hate their music, they had killer heavy modern tone.

They could use a Fender and get those sounds though. :)

The point is, are you (JoshuaLogan) prepared to play the amp, really play the amp, to get it to sound that way. Or do you expect it to be all "brewtuhlz" on its own. If it's the latter, get a different amp.

• Members
They could use a Fender and get those sounds though. :)QUOTE]

True enough. I've never heard any Fender with a dirty sound like that. Not saying it can't be done, but...All I know is that they were playing through Bad Cats and the tone was very good. The music on the other hand...:freak:

• Members

Just realized that I'm wrong. I remember seeing a band several years ago and the guitarist was playing through some black Fender head that was very saturated. It sounded pretty good as I recall, but he had too much treble dialed in.

• Members

Porcupine Tree gets pretty heavy on some songs with their hotcats... it's not "modern" gain a la 5150, it's got a pretty distinctive sound.

Not sure I dig the live tone:

Here's another one

I saw a couple of combos up on racks. I missed the closed back cab sound.

• Members

They could use a Fender and get those sounds though.
:)

The point is, are you (JoshuaLogan) prepared to play the amp,
really
play the amp, to get it to sound that way. Or do you expect it to be all "brewtuhlz" on its own. If it's the latter, get a different amp.

don't reply if you're just going to be a dick :wave:

• Members

don't reply if you're just going to be a dick
:wave:

He's right though. Listen to Porcupine Tree. That's straight Hot Cat 30. If you can play heavy, that's what it will sound like heavy.

It's not going to sound heavy on it's own, it only sounds heavy when you play heavy.

• Members

I guess being 100% right, and helping someone, is called "being a dick". Oh well.

it was just the sarcasm/arrogance that bugged me. sorry if I was rude. I was in a {censored}ty mood earlier today. but you may have come off a little different than you meant to.

of course you have to play to suit the style. I have just never played or heard one in person, and couldn't find many sound clips online, but read reviews... and in the reviews some people said it can get up into modern high gain and other people completely disagreed, so I asked a simple question here, knowing atleast probably a few people here have played them and some experience directly with the amp. I didn't ask for sarcastic comments...

clearly there is a reason why people make certain kinds of amps, and why you yourself make a few different amps, some more aggressive than others. it was a question on the voicing and amount of gain of the amp. if someone asks can you get fender cleans out of a dual recto, or if a twin or ac30 can do metal, are you going to respond "if you are prepared to really play the amp, then sure!"... I don't think so... if you can't see how someone might find that kind of response a little annoying, then I don't know what else to say...

• Members

I agree with you completely though. Reminds me of guys saying they cant use a JMP to play metal, or a 5150 to play indie rock.
:p

while you may be right, how many people do you know who actually use a 5150 for playing indie rock? or who would even be willing to? obviously there is a reason some amps sound better for particular styles of music than others.... that shouldn't even have to be argued...

• Members

I guess being 100% right, and helping someone, is called "being a dick". Oh well.

Yeah you are right.......I've pretty much give up on pigeonholing an amp to a style......turns out alot of the supposed amps that "can't do Metal"......can do it just fine with the right player....

• Members

I agree with you completely though. Reminds me of guys saying they cant use a JMP to play metal, or a 5150 to play indie rock.
:p

I have had people ask if I'll build an amp that sounds like Converge's sound, and I know they mean "can I make it heavy sounding like that", when the irony is that Converge is using things like Orange OD120s and JTM45s or whatever they get their mitts on. :) They use whatever for guitars (including hollowbody guitars), turn the amps up, hit the strings hard, and there it is. That's why it sounds so interesting too. Not that I have anything against amps which are more straight-up aimed at modern high gain sounds, but you know when you hear Converge it's some guy just "giving 'er!"

Meanwhile you know that if half the people who were after that sound actually used the same gear, they wouldn't be comfortable using it the same way.

Josh, you read too much into what I posted. I was being 100% serious, and you have to be prepared to "play" that amp that way or just go with a 5150 or something instead. It's your choice. Do whatever you're comfortable with.

• Members

I have had people ask if I'll build an amp that sounds like Converge's sound, and I know they mean "can I make it heavy sounding like that", when the irony is that Converge is using things like Orange OD120s and JTM45s or whatever they get their mitts on.
They use whatever for guitars (including hollowbody guitars), turn the amps up, hit the strings hard, and there it is. That's why it sounds so interesting too. Not that I have anything against amps which are more straight-up aimed at modern high gain sounds, but you know when you hear Converge it's some guy just "giving 'er!"

Meanwhile you know that if half the people who were after that sound actually used the same gear, they wouldn't be comfortable using it the same way.

Josh, you read too much into what I posted. I was being 100% serious, and you have to be prepared to "play" that amp that way or just go with a 5150 or something. It's your choice. Do whatever you're comfortable with.

converge plays noisy, dissonant hardcore. a band with a heavy hitting drummer, and harsh vocals, along with lots of dissonance from the guitars is always going to sound really sharp and aggressive, no matter what is being used. it's not the same as something you'd hear from a metal band playing high gain chunky rhythms and smooth leads. and as for converge playing hard... I'm sure they do, but he also uses EMG's AND a pedal to boost, which is obviously adding a lot to it. oh, and if you were talking about hollowbody's... they might... not sure, but I know he had a non-hollow body rickenbacker he was using..... but again.... it was loaded with EMG's...

edit: and by the way, I do like converge, but they are far from the kind of music I play or would even want to play on my own, and the guitar sound is equally far from it...

• Members

They didn't always use EMGs and pedals...

Don't try to steer away from the main point, which is that the Bad Cat isn't what you want. You want "bruwtulz in a box", don't you. Be honest with yourself, cut the crap. :) What are you so ashamed of anyway. I use a Chimera for modern high gain sounds, something designed for the job. I make no excuses.

• Members

I should also mention my point about Converge was this: they weren't a very good example for someone like you asking this question, because they don't use the amps they do the way you would probably like to. Someone brought them up as an example and I said they could probably use Fenders for their sound. I'm trying to keep this issue in perspective for you, believe it or not. :)

• Members

They didn't always use EMGs and pedals...

Don't try to steer away from the main point, which is that the Bad Cat isn't what you want. You want "bruwtulz in a box", don't you. Be honest with yourself, cut the crap.
What are you so ashamed of anyway. I use a Chimera for modern high gain sounds, something designed for the job. I make no excuses.

what excuses? I asked a simple question, and I got you responding being a jackass with the lame "brewtalz" comments. have you even played the bad cat? you may or may not have, but it wouldn't surprise me if you haven't, yet you are still giving advice... and what exactly am I supposed to be honest about? obviously I want something capable of an aggressive, modern sound, or I wouldn't have asked the question to begin with.

I tend to like really versatile amps, because I play a lot of different things, and I like what I've heard of the clean and overdrive areas, and heard contradicting opinions of just how modern sounding it can get. so, I asked here so that people with experience with the amp can comment in order to get a better idea of just how much ground the amp can cover. what is with you? just because some ignorant kids message you asking ridiculous questions doesn't mean everyone who wants an aggressive, high gain sound to work with is a complete idiot like that.

and yet, here I am I'm explaining myself, instead of throwing little cheap shots at you, but all I'm seeing is little jabs about "teh brewtalz"... the arrogance is pretty damn overwhelming around here lately

• Members

I should also mention my point about Converge was this: they
weren't
a very good example for someone like you asking this question, because they
don't
use the amps they do the way you would probably like to. Someone brought them up as an example and I said they could probably use Fenders for their sound. I'm trying to keep this issue in perspective for you, believe it or not.

well, I agree with that. they could use cranked bassmans and get away with it just fine. the problem is, I'm NOT the person who asked you questions like that, so I don't really think I should be getting the same smartass replies... no?

and I'm not trying to battle you or anything like that. I just don't see how my original post was all that naive or ignorant, and I would rather not be spoken to like I am either....

EDIT: oh, and just to put things into perspective a little more there ARE other amps that can cover that much ground and that many styles... mesa mark iv, hughes and kettner triamp, bogner ecstacy, etc. I wasn't familiar with the badcat enough to know what all it can do, so I asked...

• Members

What is with you, man. I can't use a term like "brewtulz" as a joke without you freaking out, and I can't say "be ready to play it like that" without your inferring that I'm saying you can't play, and I can't make any responses with anything other than the most meek language? Lighten the hell up. The deal is this: do you expect the amp to be like a 5150? It won't be.

Like I SAID ALREADY, I use an amp which does "teh brewtuhlz" (and it's designed to) and I'm not embarrassed, so don't freak out about it.

Oh my Gord. Someone's got sand in his vag.

Archived