Guitar sound on Death "Human" album

Andrius

• Members

Where is this information from, - I mean, did you hear or read anything like this or you think so, because it sounds like DS-1 and Marshall JCM 800?

What are the effects? Was the compression used? Anything in addition to that? This sound is quite unique - it was the first thing I noticed when I first heard Death.

• Members

Yep that tone is unique. One of my favourite rythm tone !!

X2N pickup + DS1 + 2203 + the infamous Scott Burns Eq will get you there.

You need a 2 band parametric eq to mimic the desk eq he's using :

freq 750Hz / Q 1 octave / -12dB for the mid-scoop

freq 4.1kHz / Q 0.4 / +3dB for the nasally overtone

The most important part in the tone being the 2203 and the eq. You can get very close with any non-muddy high output pickup and any kind of reasonable overdrive/clean boost in the 2203. Also, on the record, the guitar rythm is double tracked with each part hard panned on each side and one side slightly delayed by about 20/30 ms.

:thu:

• Members

Yep that tone is unique. One of my favourite rythm tone !!

X2N pickup + DS1 + 2203 + the infamous Scott Burns Eq will get you there.

You need a 2 band parametric eq to mimic the desk eq he's using :

freq 750Hz / Q 1 octave / -12dB for the mid-scoop

freq 4.1kHz / Q 0.4 / +3dB for the nasally overtone

The most important part in the tone being the 2203 and the eq. You can get very close with any non-muddy high output pickup and any kind of reasonable overdrive/clean boost in the 2203. Also, on the record, the guitar rythm is double tracked with each part hard panned on each side and one side slightly delayed by about 20/30 ms.

:thu:

You can't get a better answer. We need more responses like this one.

• Members

Where is this information from, - I mean, did you hear or read anything like this or you think so, because it sounds like DS-1 and Marshall JCM 800?

What are the effects? Was the compression used? Anything in addition to that? This sound is quite unique - it was the first thing I noticed when I first heard Death.

I read an old interview with Chuck from around that era in which he mentioned using the DS1, and I've heard from several other fans that he used the 800's back then.

• Members

Masvidal from Cynic used Crate amps. I forgot which. But if you've listened to Human as much as I have you know there's actually two distinct guitar tones. Maybe Masvidal brought his Crate to the sessions also...

Yep left and right sound different. I think it's both the same 2203 setup with slightly different eq from the mixing desk.

Archived