Should I put Greenbacks in my Mesa cab?

fragglerick

• Members

I've come to the descision that I want a cab w/ greenies

I'm running a Splawn Quickrod through a Mesa 4x12 standard cab and it's way too bright with the V30's. How do you think the GB's will sound in the Mesa?

I've run a Splawn Quick Rod through my Mesa Roadking 4x12 and I thought it sounded dark! :D

I wanted a Greenback cab as well, but I wasn't sure about putting them in a Mesa enclosure......

• Members

I wouldn't do it. Those Mesa std. cabs are built around the v30's. The oversized constuction just gives them the more bass and less harsh mids that Marshall v30 cab's have. I can't imagine any other speaker sounding good in it. Greenbacks would be too dark and T75's too bassy i would think though i never tried it. You probably just don't like v30's and should buy a Marshall 412 with greenbacks.

• Members

Don't go Greenbacks if you want a darker sound.

I wouldn't replace the speakers in that cabinet either. As mentioned, the Rectifier cabinets are built for those Vintage 30s.

You should sell it and get an Orange with V30s and X pattern it with G12-65s.

:D

• Members

Don't go Greenbacks if you want a darker sound.

I wouldn't replace the speakers in that cabinet either. As mentioned, the Rectifier cabinets are built for those Vintage 30s.

You should sell it and get an Orange with V30s and X pattern it with G12-65s.

V30's are definitely a brighter speaker than the Greenback all the way around. I think that the reason that people assume that the Greenie is bright is because it doesn't have a lot of bass, and people don't adjust their amps for the new speakers.

Broken in Greenbacks are anything but bright.

• Members

greenies aren't as bright as the V30s, that's for sure...they dont' have that upper spike that the 30s have..

BUT, not sure how they're going to sound in a mesa cab...I've played greenies in a couple marshalls, a mojo and a splawn cab...I thought it sounded best with the mojo and splawn cabs...

• Members

so I see! lol...

The only reasons I haven't sold the Mesa Cab are:

1) It's built like a friggin' tank.

2) It sounds good with my Road King.

3) I haven't sold my Road King. :D

I'm eventually going to sell the Road King/Mesa Cab...but I've got 4 Greenies waiting to go into a cab. I love the Hellatone30's in my Splawn 4x12...and just don't feel like buying more gear right now. If the Greenies sound good in the Mesa...who knows. I do know that I HATE the Mesa/V30 with my Quickrod. :mad:

• Members

The only reasons I haven't sold the Mesa Cab are:

1) It's built like a friggin' tank.

2) It sounds good with my Road King.

3) I haven't sold my Road King.

I'm eventually going to sell the Road King/Mesa Cab...but I've got 4 Greenies waiting to go into a cab. I love the Hellatone30's in my Splawn 4x12...and just don't feel like buying
more
gear right now. If the Greenies sound good in the Mesa...who knows. I do know that I HATE the Mesa/V30 with my Quickrod.
:mad:

yeah, I can understand the QR and the mesa V30 cab not getting along..lemem guess..ice picky harshness on the high end? and farty on the low end?

• Members

I wouldn't do it. Those Mesa std. cabs are built around the v30's. The oversized constuction just gives them the more bass and less harsh mids that Marshall v30 cab's have. I can't imagine any other speaker sounding good in it. Greenbacks would be too dark and T75's too bassy i would think though i never tried it. You probably just don't like v30's and should buy a Marshall 412 with greenbacks.

actually, the Mesa Recto Standard is built around Mesa's MC90 Black Shadow, which is what it was originally issued with. man, i hate the V30s in that thing, gave a ton of sizzle and quite a bit of thump to the sound, but i thought it was too dark but still harsh, and seemed to be almost without harmonic overtones... both of which i could see being solved by a set of greenbacks.

i've been trying to find a set of the MC90s to load into one of those cabs... but goddamn is it hard to find a set at a reasonable price.

• Members

Those Mesa std. cabs are built around the v30's. The oversized constuction just gives them the more bass and less harsh mids that Marshall v30 cab's have.

This isn't an oversized one. I guess in my original post I should have said "trditional" instead of "standard":freak:

Archived