Fender Buffs!!!! Which amp would you choose?

wheresgrant3

• Members

My girlfriend's boss is a guitar buff (with little playing experience or talent... he just collects) and has decide he wants to sell off one of his Fender amps just sitting in his garage 2 tube, 2 solid state. He asked me if I was interested in buying one, any one. The problem ... I'm not familar with any Fender amps except a Hot Rod Deville

He has a

Deville 2x12 $450

Princeton Chorus $200

Blues Jr $300

Frontman Reverb...

All are in good condition. I'm leaning toward the Deville. Which would you choose?

• Members

My girlfriend's boss is a guitar buff (with little playing experience or talent... he just collects) and has decide he wants to sell off one of his Fender amps just sitting in his garage 2 tube, 2 solid state. He asked me if I was interested in buying one, any one. The problem ... I'm not familar with any Fender amps except a Hot Rod Deville

He has a

Deville 2x12 $450

Princeton Chorus $200

Blues Jr $300

Frontman Reverb...

All are in good condition. I'm leaning toward the Deville. Which would you choose?

that's a collection?

• Members

NOT the frontman. i would pick the blues junior. do you know how loud that deville will be when its cranked? it is just unnecesary. unless u are playing very large venues and need plenty of clean headroom. blues junior is quite gig-worthy though.

• Members

He has a

Deville 2x12 $450 (no x25)

Princeton Chorus $200 (no x 40)

Blues Jr $300 (no x 18)

Frontman Reverb... (no x 78)

Any other choices?

• Members
I don't know. I never played a Blues Jr. but I used to have a DeVille and it was a piece of {censored}.
:D

The blues junior is basically a one channel version of the hot rod. The Deville isn't total {censored}, the cleans are pretty good and you can get usable dirty sound if you try, just don't expect too much. With some decent pedals it can be a pretty good amp for the money

• Members

The blues junior is basically a one channel version of the hot rod. The Deville isn't total {censored}, the cleans are pretty good and you can get usable dirty sound if you try, just don't expect too much. With some decent pedals it can be a pretty good amp for the money

for the money there are much better amps, and the cleans arent that great

• Members

DO NOT BY A HOT ROD DEVILLE????????? WHY NOT???

I find this very intresting. I am currently in the market for a 2x12 combo with a good clean tone. I played through a Hot Rod Deville at an outdoor concert a few years back and liked it. I normally play through a Marshall JCM800 with two channels through a 4x12.

I though I would buy a Hot Rod Deville due to the lack of space in my car.

Please tell me what is wrong with Hot Rod Devilles?

thanks

Mark

• Members

I find this very intresting. I am currently in the market for a 2x12 combo with a good clean tone. I played through a Hot Rod Deville at an outdoor concert a few years back and liked it. I normally play through a Marshall JCM800 with two channels through a 4x12.

thanks

Mark

I would think your ears would have already told you. They sound horrid to me.

• Members

Well, then what would you suggest?

This forum and the EG forum are both full of threads like this listing amp suggestions. I have probably listed them hundreds of times. Anyway, I could make a really long list before those cheap Fender tube models would get on it. There are sooooo many better choices.

• Members

that's a collection?

He has a bunch of Old Gibsons and American made Fenders, an Ibanez LP knockoff and a 67 200 watt Marshall head. Those are part of his collection. These amps are just junk laying in his garage collecting dust.

• Members

Of those the Blues junior, but none are great choices. With the blues junior be prepared to change the stock speaker, same with the devilles, the stock speakers are pretty bad.

I would go with a Fender DRRI, Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Classic 50, Traynor Custom valve 40, etc over the amps in that list.

• Members

He has a bunch of Old Gibsons and American made Fenders, an Ibanez LP knockoff and a 67 200 watt Marshall head. Those are part of his collection. These amps are just junk laying in his garage collecting dust.

That should tell you something. $450 is a lot for junk. I have junk to sell you for about half that:p The blues jr has its fans no doubt. I think you can get one for $300 all day long.

• Members

thanks

Mark

They're just very bland and "stiff" sounding to me, and the reliability is just {censored}e from my experience. Oh, and the overdrive channel is pure crap imho.

If you want a nice sounding Fender, I heard a Supersonic at a jam last night and it sounded really good. I've never actually heard a Bassman or Twin in person, but theres clips here http://www.proguitar.de/AudioDemo/CompareAmps/CompareAmps.html

Archived