OT:So, i have custody of my daughter now :)

Shredison

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
She has to be... if she has dreads and tats...

J/K

On a side note, I was the only dude in my business school with a mohawk and Megadeth/Dark Angel/King Diamond shirts. It was ok at the time, but then I just grew out of it. My teachers thought it was ridiculous. There came a time when I realized that there are great financial benefits to dressing like a member of the corporate community.

It's not for everyone.

Well thats definitely understandable. Im only 23 so Im still in my prime years of debauchery. :p

• Members
Shred - glad to hear that you've got your girl where she needs to be...away from that psychotic sleezy. And also glad to hear that you didn't have to put her through an extended, bitter custody battle.

My thoughts are that although it seems to finally be over with your ex.....it NEVER is. Keep that in mind as you begin to raise your daughter. That woman will always be there. Things could go smooth.....or they can go very bad.

My son's mother and I have been split for 10 years...we share custody. But she is still a part of my life, whether I like it or not (which absolutely thrills my wife.) For the most part, we've gotten along fine....but we've had our moments.

Do right by your daughter FIRST....and the rest will fall into place.

Sorry to be preachy, man. I'm sure you've got it all under control.

THanks man... She is already still in my business. Ill get through it though. My daughter will always come first. ALWAYS, and everything seems to be falling into place rightnow :thu:

• Members

Whatever man. I just know if you go to a meaningful job interview (read: not at Starbucks), you're not going to be taken seriously with tats, piercings, and dreads.

It's just kind of pathetic to see adults like that, IMO. It's a rather immature look that speaks to being stuck in high school with a Megadeth t-shirt. I've known one or two anomalies in the corporate world, but they're not interfacing with anyone that matters. Typically programmers, actually.

i thought you were always pretty open minded. we seemed to agree on most political and social viewpoints, so i have NO idea where you are coming from on this one. judging someone on looks alone isn't something i'd expect from you.

who cares what they look like, and why do they have to have a professional job (like an accountant) to be sucessful? for example, can't they work in the entertainment industry? what if she ran a catering business that caters to big rock venues, so her look totally fits her successful job?

i play in a death metal band and i DON'T have any tats, or piercing or long hair. i'd hate for people not to accept me just because i dont look like they think i "should". that's beyond ignorant.

i know people with tons of tats and crazy piercings that are great parents to well adjusted kids. i also know totally uptight straight laced people who hit their wife and kids. how you look doesnt determine your morals and how you socially interact with others.

• Members

On a side note, I was the only dude in my business school with a mohawk and Megadeth/Dark Angel/King Diamond shirts. It was ok at the time, but then I just grew out of it. My teachers thought it was ridiculous. There came a time when I realized that there are great financial benefits to dressing like a member of the corporate community.

It's not for everyone.

while that's typically true, that doesnt have to be the case 100% of the time. moreover, when you changed the way you dressed, that doesnt change who you are, just how you look. your still the same person on the inside, that doesn't change overnight.

• Members
Well thats definitely understandable. Im only 23 so Im still in my prime years of debauchery.
:p

I'm 24, so I'm there too. I'm just doing it differently. I'm trying to build an awesome financial foundation for my (to be) family. I don't want to work forever. I'm in the planning stages of a few businesses I'd like to start with the capital from my full-time job. It took me 5 1/2 years to finish college (change of majors); I feel like I wasted some valuable time. However, I had an awesome time in college. I think the best part of college is the exchange of ideas with your friends (besides getting the degree). You really get to see the world in different ways.

• Members

while that's typically true, that doesnt have to be the case 100% of the time. moreover, when you changed the way you dressed, that doesnt change who you are, just how you look. your still the same person on the inside, that doesn't change overnight.

I agree 100%. Hey man, I still listen to all that music. I even got my girlfriend into King Diamond. She's into more for the novelty value, but I'm happy I could get her into a lot of my music.

• Members

I'm 24, so I'm there too. I'm just doing it differently. I'm trying to build an awesome financial foundation for my (to be) family. I don't want to work forever. I'm in the planning stages of a few businesses I'd like to start with the capital from my full-time job. It took me 5 1/2 years to finish college (change of majors); I feel like I wasted some valuable time. However, I had an awesome time in college. I think the best part of college is the exchange of ideas with your friends (besides getting the degree). You really get to see the world in different ways.

are you married, or engaged?

• Members

I'm already at a large accounting firm. (I'm not going to mention the name, though) I-Banking would be fun to get into too.

Back to the marriage thing... I'm taking my girl to Vegas in a couple hours. Maybe we'll get married out there after a few cocktails... LOL

• Members

It seems I made a pretty {censored}ty statement. I've since apologised. Fact is, we all have prejudices of sorts. I guess I never really realized mine. Coming from a small town in Florida, I guess I'm just so used to attaching that look to trashy people (with legitimate reasons) that I didn't think straight about it.

Sorry guys. I'll be sure not to judge a book by its cover again. I feel pretty dumb about it, in fact. Thanks for setting me straight.

• Members
It seems I made a pretty {censored}ty statement. I've since apologised. Fact is, we all have prejudices of sorts. I guess I never really realized mine. Coming from a small town in Florida, I guess I'm just so used to attaching that look to trashy people (with legitimate reasons) that I didn't think straight about it.

Sorry guys. I'll be sure not to judge a book by its cover again. I feel pretty dumb about it, in fact. Thanks for setting me straight.

Its all good brother. :cool:

• Members

Glad you thought this over. I've read some of your posts, and you always seemed like a pretty smart guy. Sorry I called you a retard:P :wave:

• Members

you're cool with me dude. i'm on board with you 99% of the time. i could see where you are coming from, but like with anything else nothing is the case 100% of the time.

• Members

I can relate!! I got custody of my 2 daughters a little over a year ago.

They are now age 9 and 10.

Their mom was into partying and got increasingly irresponsible and eventually got into crack cocaine. Finally, in March of 2006 she got evicted from her apartment along with her raging alcoholic crackhead boyfriend... and my two daughters.

I got with my lawyer and he got me custody right away. :thu:

I'm a single father raising these two girls all on my own. Their mom is still a crackhead. She doesn't have a place of her own. She doesn't have a job or a car. She doesn't pay me child support needless to say.

But I'm so happy to have my girls with me!! They are so AWESOME!!! They're cute, smart, funny, and I adore 'em so much!!!

• Members

Scott - you and I would get along really well. I just turned 24, took 5 years in college (took a year off to work) and am just getting started in my life as a professional.

Apart from accounting, what else did you study in school?

• Members

Whatever, I figured I shouldn't post.

Whatever you guys want to think, I just know when I have a child, I'm not going to have some inked up, dreaded up, pierced up chick hanging out, no matter how hot she is. Speaks to a lifestyle I wouldn't want to project upon my daughter.

If that makes me ignorant in your eyes, whatever. I just know how few successful people live that sort of lifestyle. I see the corporate world, I see the academic world, and I don't see many people with tats, piercings, and dreads. Then I go down to the local bar and see the washouts, and those are the people I see sporting those styles.

It was cool in high school, maybe college, but I find it sad to see adults still trying to be cool through supposedly counterculture styles or emulating rockstars.

I'm not saying all people that are like that have washed out, nor does it mean they're low class or lack anything. I just know what I see in the vast majority of cases.

Hopefully I was wrong about this one.

Ya know, I tend to agree with you on this up to a point Chris... I certainly dont want my son to be dreaded, tatted and pierced. Sure Ive met more than few people of that Culture who are responsible , intelligent and other wise upstanding folk BUT the Majority were loser posers without a clue.

Regardless of how I feel about that look, it will never cause me to make a snap judgement. Ill always reserve that until I get to know the person better because it really is the right thing to do, regardless of what I think of out ward appearances; books and covers and all that...

Furthermore, the funny thing that Ive noticed is that I have some friends that come from outwardly and inwardly, very whacky parents. In some cases, not unlike what Shredison and his girl might be and these guys are the most regular down to earth( as well as EXTREMELY well rounded and grounded) individuals that I know.. My Buddy Bill's Mom and Dad are like friggin tattooed outlaw Bikers and hes a Preppy graduate of Harvard Law!!!!

Like I said, I probably agree with you more than my post leads you to believe but ultimately, I reserve Judgement until I get a read on whats going on inside the person as opposed to the outside despite my feelings about certain forms of self expression...

Shredison, congrats to you on getting your Child Back!!!! As a Dad of a beautiful 15month old Boy, I could not imagine the pain you went through without her... I cant think of a thing that I wouldnt do or give up for my son...

Kage

• Members

Nice job man!!! Always good to see someone take care of their kids. When I met my wife she already had a daughter and the biological father is a dickhead and was only around to cause trouble. We fixed his ass though cuz he moved to Oklahoma and didn't call her so after about a year and a half without contact we got his rights taken away and I adopted her. You only have to go 6 months without contact here in Texas and they call it abandonment.

• Members

Nice job man!!! Always good to see someone take care of their kids. When I met my wife she already had a daughter and the biological father is a dickhead and was only around to cause trouble. We fixed his ass though cuz he moved to Oklahoma and didn't call her so after about a year and a half without contact we got his rights taken away and I adopted her. You only have to go 6 months without contact here in Texas and they call it abandonment.

Good On you Bro, Adopting another mans child as your own is pretty noble thing IMO...

Archived