Is There a forum where Keyboard Designer/maker interacts? or do you know one??

minimoog

• Members

There's always DIY to get your feet wet. Muffwiggler has a DIY section, and there was a mailing list (Synth-DIY) that may or may not be active. I think these were more analog oriented.

There's also forums for digital DIY (eg VST makers), can't remember the links offhand. I could probably Google them.

Are you more interested in analog (which may involve no code), digital (which will involve code), or hybrids?

Pro-tip: Learn how to solder. That's why I never got into DIY, I can't solder worth a damn. cry.gif

• Members

Well I want to make a 2 rack Soundmodule of the GX1 and a 40 pound Polyphonic Moog Modular, And a Virtual Acustics 2, And to finally make a Good Wind controler smile.gif

Yes actually i'm interested in all! But yes very seriously investigating that direction

Well Doing Renewable Energy but i think i can take atvantage of some material I'm seing there .

But please I very very very ...... humbly apreciate "any" comments or suggestions you can ad.

• Members

If you're interested in digital synthesis (and even if you're not, since many analog synths these days sport microcontrollers and other digital bits), I would be become a C guru (that's a programming language, not to be confused with C++, which may also come in handy). Know your math, from trig up through a few differential equations classes. DSP coding uses lots of FFTs (Fast Fourier Transforms) and a whole host of other fun bits of math, so math math math math. Learn real-time OS programming, as that's a whole different ballgame than programming for, say, Linux/Windows/OSX. Also, knowing your way around current microprocessors would be good too. Understanding how to throw all of that stuff at musically-useful problems is the capstone -- how to program sequencers, arpeggiators, AD and DA conversion, MIDI/OSC programming, and so forth.

Really, there are a few different skillsets that could be useful. One is the industrial designer -- i.e. the people who come up with design concepts for physical products. One is the electrical engineer, or in other words the guy who understands what all the pieces of silicon do and how to hook them up correctly so nobody gets hurt and signals get transferred properly from place to place. One is the OS/DSP programmer, which is the person who writes code to make all the bits of silicon work together to perform different tasks; display a list of programs on a screen, apply digital DSP to signals, control hardware signal routing (via relays or something similar), manage patches in a logical and useful way, and so on. The Sound Designers, or the people who make the presets, are in another class altogether. They have the ability to translate vague and specific descriptions of sounds into usable patches, and come up with stuff on their own as well. A good sound designer (IMO) should have an idea as well of what a "useful" sound is and how to determine if it's actually useful to somebody. A vast functional sonic knowledge of music helps in both of those processes.

• Members

I'm getting ready to start college (again) in January and am planning to major in Computer Science. I am very interested in some of the same questions you are Mini. I realize that it will be 4 years before I am done, but I'd like to know where to put my emphasis. I heard what poserp said about Math, Math, Math and I understand that. I never have done well in math and that concerns me a bit. I'm trying to approach it from an understanding that math is more about probelm solving than anything else but it still scares the {censored} out of me. I'm leaning towards wanting to develop VST's and/or iPad/iPod/iPhone Apps at this time but that could all change in 4 years. I am planning on getting a good foundation in C but the last time I studied programming was COBOL and RPG II so things have changed quite a bit since then. At my age (53) school is going to be a challenge as my memory/mind isn't what it used to be. I'm also interested in Sound Design as well. So like Mini, any advice from anyone here would be greatly appreciated.

• Members

Lot's of wisdom in this thread. I agree with those who recommend schooling in CompSci. After that, go back for EE. Then MegaCorp will offer you Big Bucks to sit in a cube and twiddle bits and you'll forget all about this silly synth business.

Quote Originally Posted by midinut

View Post

I'm getting ready to start college (again)

Good luck! I admire adults who can tackle college and work at the same time. I always planned to finish my BSEET, but I made the mistake of working for 'a few years' after I got my AS. The 'few years' turned into 35 so far... I did sign up for night school once, but on the way to the first class a drunk driver totaled my car. I took that as a sign.

• Members
WHY CAN'T WE VISIT A FACTORY OR SE MORE UPCLOSE HOW ITS DONE?

Unless you're talking boutique companies (and considering their size, Moog is probably still considered boutique), most hardware synths are manufactured in Asia. Not sure if Korg runs a dedicated manufacturing plant (Roland and Yamaha certainly do), but the design and manufacturing teams are almost always in completely different locations. Actually, manufacturing is generally the least interesting part of synth creation

• Members

Audacity Works wrote:

Or you could do what I did, and design so many products with so much detail that some company says "Hey Audacity. We're not sure if we want to invest in your product line(s), but damn, you're a geek. Why don't you just work here?"

That's cool- from the ground up, your resume is all the work you've done.

Like a lot of musicians, I got into recording engineering 'cause I wanted a leg up on recording myself cheaply and be in the biz. I found out the hard way that there's a lot of musicians like me, and even after substantial capital investments in my studio (upwards of $20k), and going to school for recording engineering (dedicated courses at a Community College), my competition was incredible, with people giving away their studio time at $15/hour, sometimes less.

My experience of the music business overall:

1. Waaaaay too many guys

2. Tons of competition

• Members
Unless you're talking boutique companies (and considering their size, Moog is probably still considered boutique), most hardware synths are manufactured in Asia. Not sure if Korg runs a dedicated manufacturing plant (Roland and Yamaha certainly do), but the design and manufacturing teams are almost always in completely different locations. Actually, manufacturing is generally the least interesting part of synth creation

• Members

• Members

And there are plenty of jobs one might consider under the "design" banner. Some have been mentioned before, but there's product line manager, technical product manager (closest to the "product designer" role?) project manager, technical writer, UI designer, UX designer, industrial designer, electrical engineer, firmware engineer, systems engineer, manufacturing engineer, software engineer, driver engineer, GUI designer, graphic designer, test lead, and a bunch more that I've forgotten. Collectively, all these people may ultimately be responsible for the "design" of a product.

Of course, in smaller companies, many of these roles may be filled by a single person. Personally, I find UI and UX design the most fascinating (almost to a fault), but I know engineers who are extremely passionate about staring at C code all day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

And there are plenty of jobs one might consider under the "design" banner. Some have been mentioned before, but there's product line manager, technical product manager (closest to the "product designer" role?) pro
ject
manager, technical writer, UI designer, UX designer, industrial designer, electrical engineer, firmware engineer, systems engineer, manufacturing engineer, software engineer, driver engineer, GUI designer, graphic designer, test lead, and a bunch more that I've forgotten. Collectively, all these people may ultimately be responsible for the "design" of a product.

Of course, in smaller companies, many of these roles may be filled by a single person. Personally, I find UI and UX design the most fascinating (almost to a fault), but I know engineers who are extremely passionate about staring at C code all day.

Sometimes... one wears all the hats...

Well, I'm really more of a DIY guy-gone-custom-boutique-sorta-thing, but... I would suggest, that you go somewhere like http://www.electro-music.com or http://www.muffwiggler.com and hit the DIY forums. You'll interact with people who design, build, and play synths on a daily basis. Then expand from there.

Haven't logged in here for a couple of years, but this thread caught my eye. :wave: (in that time I've learned to read schematics, lay out PCBs, design functions, where to get PCBs manufactured, how to purchase parts, and build a final product) It just takes a friendly place with knowledgeable people to help a bit, some books, and google. :D

MirrorCoreVCO.jpg

MCVCO.jpg

WP001.jpg

WP010.jpg

• Members

Regarding sound design and audio algorithms, there's a good subforum at http://kvraudio.com, though I haven't been there in quite a while and don't know if it's still good. The emphasis there is for plugins, since the overhead for that is low; no need to fuss with hardware. People who've contributed there vary from hobbyists to folks like Guido S, who brought us the sound engine for the Mojo and VB3, among other things. Nothing from the major manufacturers that I recall, but it's a big site and I only scratched the surface.

Archived