what is a good alternative guitar to thegibson les paul ?

em07189

• Members

Hi everyone.

I want to know everyones opinion to a good alternative guitar to the gibson les paul ?

in the following aspects:

-Good playablity?, I cant play very well in a gibson les paul.

-Comfort?

-Tone?

Thanks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think That ESP LTD EC1000 are made in Korea, right?.

Are they good quality guitars?, playability and neck are better than a les paul ?

LTD are indeed made in Korea. They're decent for the price, but you should not expect the same tone and overall quality that you'd get from a good Gibson.

Playability is subjective, so what you may find difficult to play on may be easy for me, etc. As far as the neck being "better"? Again, mostly subjective. I personally don't think there's a Korean-made guitar that can touch any good Gibson. Your mileage may vary.

• Members

I think That ESP LTD EC1000 are made in Korea, right?.

Are they good quality guitars?, playability and neck are better than a les paul ?

Don't get the LTD series unless you are on a budget. Go for a real ESP Eclipse (made in Japan). Its basically a shred/metal-enabled LP. Don't let that fool you though, you can play anything from rock to blues on it as well (as long as you don't have it loaded with those awful EMG's).

• Members

Why would you need an alternative ????????

I can understand...I am no {censored}, but recording/sitting down all day with a Les Paul left me with a dent in my rib!

I have played gigs where jumping around on stage etc, my leather strap gives me whelts on my neck where it has rubbed.

I like recording solos etc with the SG because it sits easier, is lighter and still sounds heavy.

• Members

In terms of value for money, a good Fernandes Ravelle or Ibanez SZ cover the same ground as a Les Paul for much less money.

If you want something expensive and desirable like a Gibson, then the PRS Singlecut would be the obvious option.

• Members

i have a gibson SG as well, but isnt this more of a blues rock thank hard rock guitar?

edit: PS. im a newbie guitarist and somewhat mind blown on all the various guitars available, so i may be talking out my ass .. haha.. sorry for that... NEWB-SAUSISHNESS....

• Members

Well, the guitarist of Judas Priest used SG's time to time and that wasn't exactly blues rock...Basically, the SG is great for hard rock music. That's my style and it works fantastically. You can make just about any guitar work for any style if you want to. The SG is made for rock, though. :thu:

• Members

+1 for a Gibson SG. They are excellent for 'teh rock'. They're quite comfortable and sound great.

Mine only cost $580 shipped NEW> A USA Gibson SG. Can't beat it. I would also recomend the new

My rock band broke up so I don't need mine now. But it is still the first thing I pick up for great solo tone.

This is another AMAZING deal:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Melody-Maker-Electric-Guitar?sku=512640

Seems perfect for this thread. I would go for the dual humbucker option for $40 more.

Archived