Just played the $25,000 EVH Frankenstrat Replica & 5150-III...

The Jeff

• Members

...and I ended up buying the new EVH 5150-III amp. Although not $25k awesome, the guitar played and sounded awesome. The thing felt and looked like it was toured with for years. Every dent, ding, and scrape. The trem bar was loose w/ tons of play. There was even steel wool shavings around the pole pieces on the pickups. I've never seen such an awesome relic job. The thing gave me goosebumps when I busted out Mean Streets/Hot For Teacher. :cool:

Onto the amp, ho-ly-shit...... I'm honestly without words. Review to come Thursday when it comes home. :D

• Members

Apparently there the Bees Knees, everyone I've talked to that have tried said its amazing.

yeah they 'sound' good. but I couldn't justify that pricetag. I'm sure over 1500 of that price is because of his name.

• Members

yeah they 'sound' good. but I couldn't justify that pricetag. I'm sure over 1500 of that price is because of his name.

Yes, it sounds phenomenal...which to me justifys the price tag. Your saying the amp is worth $500 and the rest is royalties to Eddie? That's ridiculous, have you played it? No.

So, it's 2 grand. I've had amps that cost more without an artist's name attached to it. It's a drastically different amp than the Peavey version (although the lead channel can be dialed in similar to the original's lead tone, FWIW). It also has an amazing Fender clean channel.

In short, it's double the price of a new Peavey 5150, but it also has 3 channels with dedicated EQs---not to mention it's a whole new amp. If you were talking about the guitar I'd agree.

• Members

if they called this something other than 5150III we would have to hear everbody bitch about how overpriced it is. everybody just thinks its a 3 ch peavey rip off of the 5150 that cost 2k, every thread somebody says 2k for a 5150 is too much. i dont understand how if its a new amp and new tones and voice that might be awsome that people can complain about the price.

theres lots of amps on this board that cost more than 2k and nobody says anything like that abput them.

• Members

Tell me if I have this right. The 5150 III is sold under the EVH moniker, but made by Fender. The circuit was designed by Fender per Eddie`s specs and is a different design than the James Brown PV 5150 series?

So what you are buying is a EVH product which was out-sourced to Fender for design and manufacturing? Is the amp made in an American Fender facility or is it an Asian import, because 2K seems sorta cheap for a true three channel tube head that is a sig model. That`s just slightly more than a Dual Recto which has no licensing costs attached.

I would love to see some solid info about this amp. Is there a link with any solid info because I`m underwhelmed by the way it`s being marketed.

Although I see lots of potential for this to be a solid product and could very well cement the EVH product line an any future high gain amps that may be sold under the Fender brand.

Eric

• Members

Tell me if I have this right. The 5150 III is sold under the EVH moniker, but made by Fender. The circuit was designed by Fender per Eddie`s specs and is a different design than the James Brown PV 5150 series?

So what you are buying is a EVH product which was out-sourced to Fender for design and manufacturing? Is the amp made in an American Fender facility or is it an Asian import, because 2K seems sorta cheap for a true three channel tube head that is a sig model. That`s just slightly more than a Dual Recto which has no licensing costs attached.

I would love to see some solid info about this amp. Is there a link with any solid info because I`m underwhelmed by the way it`s being marketed.

Although I see lots of potential for this to be a solid product and could very well cement the EVH product line an any future high gain amps that may be sold under the Fender brand.

Eric

It's made in Mexico

Archived