car audio guys... is there any way to power these monitors in my car?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I just bought two JBL EON 15 G2's... mostly going to be used for amping synth, acoustic, and vocals... but I figured I would throw them in the back of my car (yes I realize it would be loud and quite overkill haha) and run the car stereo or my mp3 player to them to listen to music in the car.....

I'm hoping there is some way I could provide power to them in the car so I could do this, but I don't know how... Is it possible? How do guys power the big amps they run to subs in the car?

• Members

if they run on AC, all you gotta do is buy a power inverter for your car that will supply enough watts to run the amps inside the monitors...i'd think that a 400 watt PI would work. just check the power requirements for the monitors.

for the record, car audio is designed to run on 12vdc, so those amps are powered from the battery.

• Members

if they run on AC, all you gotta do is buy a power inverter for your car that will supply enough watts to run the amps inside the monitors...i'd think that a 400 watt PI would work. just check the power requirements for the monitors.

for the record, car audio is designed to run on 12vdc, so those amps are powered from the battery.

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-whistler-pi-400w-400-watt-continuous-power-inverter--pi-2362064.html

Would this work?

• Members

that would work, but it looks like it's designed for a permanent installation. you would have to wire it to the battery. they also make them that just plug into a lighter, and those are the ones that i had in mind. either one will work.

• Members

"AC Input: 110 - 230 VAC, 50 - 60 HZ., 175 watts rating per UL, detachable IEC power cable"

Is this what I needed to find.... this means each monitor need 175 watts of electricity? If so, then it looks like the 400watt PI would work...

• Members

"AC Input: 110 - 230 VAC, 50 - 60 HZ., 175 watts rating per UL, detachable IEC power cable"

Is this what I needed to find.... this means each monitor need 175 watts of electricity? If so, then it looks like the 400watt PI would work...

anybody know? I'm not sure what the "per UL" part means...

• Members

UL is Underwriters Laboratories. they test and rate electrical equipment. even your toaster was tested by UL.

the rating that you read that was on the tag attached to the power cable is for the cable. cables are rated for more than whatever they are hooked up to needs. the 400watt PI should be fine.

• Members

Um, don`t those powered moniters use DC voltage? Don`t the internal power amps convert AC to DC like a wall wart power supply does for effects? I may be totally wrong about this though. In fact I probably am, so just ignore this post. :confused:

I went to highschool with a guy that used a couple of Fisher home stereo speakers in the back of his car. He just hooked them up to a regular cheap car stereo amplifier. The were the big ass Fishers that Service Merchandice used to sell in the 80`s. 15" woofers with dual 6" mids and dual 2" tweets. They took up the entire hatch area of his car, but they worked.

Eric

• Members

UL is Underwriters Laboratories. they test and rate electrical equipment. even your toaster was tested by UL.

the rating that you read that was on the tag attached to the power cable is for the cable. cables are rated for more than whatever they are hooked up to needs. the 400watt PI should be fine.

I copy and pasted that from the user manual I found online. I don't have the monitors here yet

Archived