OT: Time to upgrade my PC speakers. What should I get?

TheGreatGreen

• Members

My current, cheap speakers have pretty much crapped out, and I'm looking to spend some money to get a quality set of speakers for my computer. I listen to all my music on my computer, and I do a good gaming and movie watching as well. My budget will be around $400. I'm primarily looking for good sound quality. I don't care about lots of watts (I live in an apartment), what the speakers look like, or what kind of features they have. I'm only interested in how good they sound.

Should I get a set of high-end computer speakers, like the Logitech z-5500 set, or should I go for something like a pair of powered studio monitors?

• Members

Big fan of M-Audio monitors now, BX-5 or BX-8 if you've got a big room. Sound way better on stands than on the desk though. Skip the cheapo Blue Sky system by the way, not good at all. And I'd avoid any normal computer speakers in favor of low end powered monitors.

• Members

I find that studio monitors do not work great for games/movies.

The truth is, most games and movies have sound that is meant to take advantage of crappy midscooped basshyped consumer electronics.

I have a nice set of Adam studio monitors connected to my mbox, but I still use a set of 5.1 creative cambridge speakers for movies/gaming attached to the x-fi.

-W

• Members

I find that studio monitors do not work great for games/movies.

The truth is, most games and movies have sound that is meant to take advantage of crappy midscooped basshyped consumer electronics.

I have a nice set of Adam studio monitors connected to my mbox, but I still use a set of 5.1 creative cambridge speakers for movies/gaming attached to the x-fi.

-W

• Members

I just bought a pair of Refurb Behringer B2031A's. 8.75" woofer 1" tweeter. 150w to lows 75w to highs. Got them from musicians friend on stupid deal of the day for $220 plus $10 for shipping. They are $340 new. I should be getting them later this week. I'm sure i'll be happy :)

• Members

Hey guys. Just to let ya'll know, in case anybody was interested. I just got back from Guitar Center and listened to a few monitor setups. Wasn't my thing. Too positional. If I moved my head literally 3 inches from the sweet spot, the frequency balance and sound dispersion went out the window. Also, without a separate $400 sub woofer, a monitor just doesn't have enough bass, and I don't feel like spending at least $300 on a pair of monitors, only to have to pay $400 more later, and I would need it later. I don't need rap amounts of bass, but I do appreciate a balanced frequency sweep, and most studio monitors in that price range just didn't have it. They all cut off pretty abruptly at like 100-120hz.

I ended up getting a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 set and couldn't be happier. I went to the store and took my ipod inside so i could compare speakers listening to my music. I decided a 5.1 system was a little overkill, seeing as I mainly listen to music anyway, and don't really need a 5.1 system for movies or gaming. 2.1 is fine for me. It ended up being a shootout between the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and the Logitech Z-2300 speakers. The Logitech set sounded pretty good, and I did have to go back and fourth between A/Bing the the systems a few times, but in the end, the Klipsch system was the clear winner. The Z-2300 set was not bad, but it was really weak in the mids, and the subwoofer was kind of boomy and had a spike in the 100hz range, which was actually loose and muddy sounding. The Klipsch had more powerful mids, clearer highs, and the imaging is actually not bad. Also, the subwoofer feels a lot more clear and defined. Very solid. The whole system sounds really full, and I'm glad I bought them. They sound pretty fantastic.

Archived