Okay, so I finally stopped talking about it and actually bought a VAX77

• Members

Two days ago, sir.

The beast arrived last Saturday, I got back from vacation on Sunday afternoon, and...

...Today, I broke it. :cry:

No, seriously. The pitchwheel needed calibrating (Logic and MIDI-OX saw 8 or 9-120 instead of 0-128) and while waiting for a return email from Infinite Response, I went digging for a test mode. Aaaaand... that put it into OS update mode, which, without an OS update, basically killed the machine.

IR offered to send me a new one, but I'll just wait for this one to get fixed.

So my big VAX77 review will have to wait. :( Sorry, guys.

In the meantime, here are some unboxing pics.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Hadn't tried out the Host Mode feature until last night. HOLY CRAP...

1. Take a brand new VAX-77 out of the box and connect it to your Mac via USB. Don't bother installing drivers.

2. Boot Apple Main Stage (live performance version of Logic).

3. Turn on the VAX-77. Instantly, your patches appear on its touchscreen, in the same yellow/black color scheme. Use the right wheel to scroll through patches, or press the top key (reverse-colored) to switch to the next preset (or assign a footswitch to this function). Even better, the VAX's touchscreen drawbars automatically control the first 8 custom controllers for each patch.

4. Turn off your laptop's screen, hide it away from view, and control your entire live set from the VAX. Sweetness!

Wish Infinite Response would upload a video on how elegant and simple this feature is; reading about it can't possibly do the thing justice. Makes me want to start playing shows again.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

Hello everyone, 

I just recently tried to buy a VAX77, but after placing my order I was told that they stopped production altogether. So unfortunate! 

I just wanted to post this to let anyone who is thinking of selling theirs know that I am extremely interested in buying the keyboard from them. I am especially looking for the Ultra-Heavy keybed (although I will gladly consider Heavy as well). 

Please PM me if you have a VAX77 you wanna sell or know someone who does. 

Thanks and have a great week everyone!

Archived