ohms and tone ...

5150dv8fan

• Members

let's say you play with your amp head set at 16 ohms into a 4X12 with 16 ohm speakers , then a/b 'd the tone with your playing with the amp head set at 8 ohms into a 4X12 with 8 ohm speakers. are there any differences in tone? thanks for any replies. :)

m/

• Members

there is some, but not as much as a difference as say, leaving your head on the ground instead of on top of the cab. i guess if you did those two things together though it could be time to look for a new amp cause the tone just wont be there anymore

• Members

im not sure how to describe it. slightly "warmer" i would say. its really small though, the difference

It's all in your head.

Honestly, the differences are so slight that to say you can distinguish between the two is to be foolish-- just about everything else matters first, down to the differences between two of the "same" speaker, the power coming to the amp, humidity, clean or dirty ears, etc etc.

We don't have spectacular auditory memory, a lot of what you think you hear is your brain...

• Members
Why bother asking the question if there's only one answer you're going to accept and already know what it is?
:confused:

i meant to imply i was wanting to hear from someone that has tried all the amp head ohm/speaker ohm possibilities. :)

m/

• Members

I would be easier to discuss the Relationship between Quasars and Crushed Black Holes than to Correlate the Difference in Running a Tube amp on 16 or 8 ohms. As long as the Cab matches the Head , you are in business!

• Members
I would be easier to discuss the Relationship between Quasars and Crushed Black Holes than to Correlate the Difference in Running a Tube amp on 16 or 8 ohms. As long as the Cab matches the Head , you are in business!

Some may pick up string theory more easily, though I know I'm not one of them. :D I totally agree on just matching up the impedence and hadn't noticed enough (if any) difference to worry about buying cabs specifically for lower or higher Ohms but rather instead the types of speakers I'm wanting (and wish I had the $ to afford~ :D). :)

Archived