Does a Legacy really sound like this?

Random Hero

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was lucky to play one once when I went to buy some gear off a guy who happened to be a huge Vai fan (i say lucky because there are ZERO carvin dealers over here, and I doubt there is more than a couple of Legacy's in the country).

I didn't think much of it at all. I wouldnt say it 'sucked' but I was very dissapointed (being a huge Vai fan). There is a dozen amps costing a lot less that I would buy before i considered a Legacy.

• Members

He may have plugged straight into the amp but it's what came after the amp that made it sound like that. I'll bet they used 2 mics one close and one a few feet back from the cab, a compressor, a parametric EQ, and a stereo digital delay.

• Members

He may have plugged straight into the amp but it's what came after the amp that made it sound like that. I'll bet they used 2 mics one close and one a few feet back from the cab, a compressor, a parametric EQ, and a stereo digital delay.

Plug a Jem7VWH straight into the Legacy, use a delay in the loop, turn up the Master Vol on the drive channel to 4 and you've got that tone. No brainer.

• Members

Thats where you f'd up....the lead channel is brittle unless you crank that sucker

Agreed...I liked a Hotplate with mine if I couldn't crank it up to at least 4.

It does sound a bit brittle at low volumes.

There's a Legacy clip in my sig if anyone wants to hear someone else playing the amp.

• Members

Plug a Jem7VWH straight into the Legacy, use a delay in the loop, turn up the Master Vol on the drive channel to 4 and you've got that tone. No brainer.

If you listen to the clip you can hear the delay bouncing between the left and right sides. It is clearly a stereo delay.

• Members

A while ago I went out to a German store to try some amps and cabs, I tried a whole bunch and they had a Legacy too, I was under the impression that it was some sort of boutique amp, so I plugged in and I was completely shocked by how good it sounded through some greenbacks. Im not a big fan of Steve Vai and I kind of hate his guitar tones, but this legacy certainly has something going one which I really like. Steve Vai has some taste in tone after all. When I was home I checked out the price and I thought it was pretty cheap for so much amp.

• Members

That amp sounds great to me, but that's also Steve Vai playing through it. Many people like to trash Vai for his tone, and he's certainly put some questionable one's out there over the years. That tone in the demo seems to be one that he's settled into in recent years. I really like it, but I don't think it would work for me as an all purpose amp. That amp does Vai's bidding. I doubt I could coax such sweet tones out of it.

• Members

That amp sounds great to me, but that's also Steve Vai playing through it. Many people like to trash Vai for his tone, and he's certainly put some questionable one's out there over the years. That tone in the demo seems to be one that he's settled into in recent years. I really like it, but I don't think it would work for me as an all purpose amp. That amp does Vai's bidding. I doubt I could coax such sweet tones out of it.

Like all amps, you will sound like 'you' playing through it. It's voiced a little dark. It's more of a hot rodded JMP Marshall voicing than a tight metal type voicing.

• Members

Like all amps, you will sound like 'you' playing through it. It's voiced a little dark. It's more of a hot rodded JMP Marshall voicing than a tight metal type voicing.

This is it, this is why I started the thread. Steve Vai would probably sound like that through just about any amp, so I was curious if anybody else got it sounding that good.

I guess I need to try one.

• Members

This is it, this is why I started the thread. Steve Vai would probably sound like that through just about any amp, so I was curious if anybody else got it sounding that good.

I guess I need to try one.

Well I guess Devin Townsend == Steve Vai then?

His tones are so close to Vai's that you'd think he went to his house to track it and then decided to ask Steve to play it instead.

Nuance is in the hands. Tone is in the pick, string, pickup, wood, cable, amp, speaker. It's a mechanical process. I get so tired of hearing people say that crap about tone being in the fingers. Steve Vai through a gorilla sounds like a gorilla being played by Steve Vai, not freaking Passion and Warfare. As if the flesh on your finger impacts the metal on metal contact beyond it at the fret. By that logic all those icky resonating notes (you actually create two notes when you fret) should always make us sound {censored}ed up.

Archived