Hammond performance techniques

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's my favorite trick to do with the HTHN...I'll jab a folded piece of paper or a spare length of audio cable in between the keys to hold the key down, then, while the note is still going on, walk away from the organ, walk around the stage, exchange high-fives with band members (or if it's on a low stage, high-fives with members of the audience, then a few bars later, walk back to the organ, remove what's jabbing the key down, and finish my solo :)

• Members

Here's my favorite trick to do with the HTHN...I'll jab a folded piece of paper or a spare length of audio cable in between the keys to hold the key down, then, while the note is still going on, walk away from the organ, walk around the stage, exchange high-fives with band members (or if it's on a low stage, high-fives with members of the audience, then a few bars later, walk back to the organ, remove what's jabbing the key down, and finish my solo
:)

I'm stealing that,hope you don't mind :wave:

• Members

Here's my favorite trick to do with the HTHN...I'll jab a folded piece of paper or a spare length of audio cable in between the keys to hold the key down, then, while the note is still going on, walk away from the organ, walk around the stage, exchange high-fives with band members (or if it's on a low stage, high-fives with members of the audience, then a few bars later, walk back to the organ, remove what's jabbing the key down, and finish my solo
:)

Normally, I would use the pinky of my right hand to hold down a key in the upper octave and solo with the rest of the fingers of my right hand and my left hand.

• Members

For instance, I didn't know Mr. Auger never used a Leslie. He does indeed wring much expression from the scanner. I think he could make use of a mod I'm going to try: variable vibrato/chorus. Anyone else have that?

Yes, I installed a pot on the cheekblock of my '58 for this. It's a fairly easy mod - you need to get inside the vibrato switch and install a resistor, plus bring wires out to the pot.

Turning the intensity of the C-1 way down is kind of neat effect - a gentle shimmer reminiscent of a chorus generator on a BC.

• Members

Yes, I installed a pot on the cheekblock of my '58 for this. It's a fairly easy mod - you need to get inside the vibrato switch and install a resistor, plus bring wires out to the pot.

Turning the intensity of the C-1 way down is kind of neat effect - a gentle shimmer reminiscent of a chorus generator on a BC.

Of course you have it! :thu:

I just got a '74 A-105 that looks practically new, inside & out (even all new tubes!). However, the power xformer in the preamp is shot. I'm planning to replace all the 'lytics & whatever resistors have drifted. I would greatly appreciate any and all advice that more experienced 'Hamsters" care to offer. A list of all the 'good' mods would be helpful, as well as procedures describing rebuilding & rebiasing the preamp & amps. I searched the Hamtech archives, but the info wasn't readily forthcoming.

Interesting tidbit: Hamtech forumites don't have GAS, they have HAS. :lol:

• Members

I searched the Hamtech archives, but the info wasn't readily forthcoming.

:lol:

yeah, well there are eleventy million posts in there. Indeed, all of the information you seek is there...

...but you will probably have to participate in real time in order to get help.

My advice is of course quite simple...get another AO-28.

• Members

Very cool! These are all great Hammond players.

I've played Markyboard's 1957 B-3 with Leslie 147 recently and gotten an acute case of H.A.S. - Why, why, why did I sell my C-3 some years ago? :facepalm::(

I am thinking of getting an XK-3c... Sure, the sound of the original is phenomenal, but I'm not sure I want to go back at having a mega-heavy organ in the house.

Right now, I make do with two synths on top of each other, with organ patches.

When I had the C-3, I was fond of Jimmy Smith-style walking bass lines with the left hand on the lower manual, 838000000, and 888000000 c3 chorus, soft 3rd percussion fast release on the upper manual.

This is a pic of the C-3 I used to have: :cry:

Hammond%20C-3%20full.jpg

Like Brian Auger, I didn't have a Leslie. I used a Hammond's own PR-40.

and these are a few examples I had recorded the day before I sold it:

http://www.synthmania.com/Hammond%20C-3/Audio/Hammond%20C-3%20examples%20-%20Back%20At%20The%20Chicken%20Shack.mp3

http://www.synthmania.com/Hammond%20C-3/Audio/Hammond%20C-3%20examples%20-%20various%20jazzy.mp3

http://www.synthmania.com/Hammond%20C-3/Audio/Hammond%20C-3%20examples%20-%20various,%20blues,%20reggae,%20church.mp3

The question for the XK-3/XK-3c owners: can I get these tones with it?

-

• Members

:lol:

yeah, well there are eleventy million posts in there. Indeed, all of the information you seek
is
there...

It's apparent, then, that I fail at search term selection. :lol:

...but you will probably have to participate in real time in order to get help.

I'll do that, but I only joined the list a few days ago, and there's a 2 week troll filter delay before nubs can post.

My advice is of course quite simple...get another AO-28.

With your kind permission, I'll begin the pestering with you. :)

Am I correct in assuming the last A0-28 left the plant around 1974? If so, and I get another one, it's going to have age issues, unless it's been rebuilt. Why not just rebuild the one I have? It's well within the scope of my abilities, I'll know it's right, and I can probably bring it in for less than one Benjamin, including the transformer. What am I missing?

• Members

Yes, if you think that you can handle rebuilding an AO-28 then you should do it, because that would be great.

I have the utmost confidence, especially if I can occasionally pester such prolific repositories of knowledge such as yourself. :wave:

Have any favorite mods? Some of the ones I want to try are:

Variable chorus, percussion volume drop fix, changing the percussion keying source, some sort of variable distortion, adding an effects loop, adding an EQ, and sometime down the road adding MIDI out to the pedals (I like string bass) or MIDI the whole thing.

• Members

percussion volume drop fix.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I have a 2001 Toyota Camry. It's green. I used to have the most awesome pickup truck. It was a 1994 Toyota pickup, 5-speed, two wheel drive. Boy it was long and black and...you know what I mean...no maybe you all don't know I mean.

But anyway, It was really nothing like a 1968 Camero, but it did have the 22re fuel injected 4 cylinder engine.

BTW,

this thread has been Hamjacked

:wave:

• Members

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

But, it is broke! :cry:

But, mark my words, every penny saved on repairs goes towards the absolutely necessary Leslie. :love: Being the frugal fart that I am, I get the warm fuzzy from knowing that I can has one of the last tonewheel consoles ever made, for less than a top of the line Casio WK-XXX. Yeah, I'll have to work on it, but I've been doing stuff like this for a living for 33 years. :facepalm:

But, yeah, the percussion thing will probably be a back burner project.

My first car was a '65 LeMans. I drove it till the wheels fell off (literally). I still have the crossed checkered flag hood ornament! I've purchased only 1 new car in my life; frugal am I...

But, back to organ content, lest we be absorbed into the Dude thread...

• Members

There is danger in rebuilding preamps and recapping tone generators.

You WILL end up with a different tone when you are done. It may be better, but it may be worse.

My favorite Hammonds are the late 50's ones, which have a natural somewhat darker sound compared to the red capped mid 60's one, and the totally inconsistent 70s ones.

When you recap, you need caps that are carefully matched and very close to their stated value - really each one needs to be tested on a capacitance meter.

I have owned 4 Hammonds, and the two least great sounding ones are the ones that have been rebuilt. One has a harsh midrange that prevents me from pulling full drawbars, and the other sounds OK but not great.

I would replace your broken transformer and then check things out - it may sound fabulous. Replace the main filter caps if you must, but listen to it before going further.

Just my 2 cents.

• Members

There is danger in rebuilding preamps and recapping tone generators.

You WILL end up with a different tone when you are done. It may be better, but it may be worse.

My favorite Hammonds are the late 50's ones, which have a natural somewhat darker sound compared to the red capped mid 60's one, and the totally inconsistent 70s ones.

When you recap, you need caps that are carefully matched and very close to their stated value - really each one needs to be tested on a capacitance meter.

I have owned 4 Hammonds, and the two least great sounding ones are the ones that have been rebuilt. One has a harsh midrange that prevents me from pulling full drawbars, and the other sounds OK but not great.

I would replace your broken transformer and then check things out - it may sound fabulous. Replace the main filter caps if you must, but listen to it before going further.

Just my 2 cents.

Moe I hear a lot of guys say this about the older Hammonds. Also the new ones sound brighter and it is task to do it.

• Members

How about the one where you hold the 'C' (Cancel) key down and 'play' the presets for some modulation type effects.

Yep, that's another good one. Besides timbre changes switching between presets, you can do stuttering rhythmic things. I've played the staccato organ part from "Won't Get Fooled Again" using this technique.

Archived