Hammond performance techniques

• Members

:thu: Thanks, guys, for sharing your hard earned wisdom! Be assured, I'm taking as gospel everything I'm hearing here!

Please rest easy; I don't intend to do anything to this fine instrument that can't be undone. I've been a tron pusher for 33 years (unless you exclude 1984, when I tried to support myself soley as a musician in Indiana, which is a very tough row to hoe).

Three of those years were spent as an electronic instrument tech for the largest music company in Indianapolis. Remember the '70s, when there were 3 home organ stores in every mall? Well, they sold em & I fixed em. But I didn't get to do much Hammond repair, because the Old Beards did that; they hired me because I could fix those newfangled transistor organs with TTL top octave dividers, and Magic Genie Chord-O-Matic Flyin' Fantom Finger Boogie Bass-in-a-Box KimBaldWurlit{censored}zers.

But that's not intended to be bragging! The last thing I want to do is come in and alienate the very experts who can help me the most. It's just that I've forgotten most of my tube theory, since I just didn't need it. (Yes, they taught tube theory when I was in school! :facepalm:)

I didn't say I wanted to recap the TG; it has Mylar caps, anyway. I intend to replace only out of spec components (such as the 6BQ5 cathode resistor that's supposed to be 220?, but measures 160?).

But again, THANKS for the helpful comments, and sorry for hijacking the thread. I'll be more than happy to delete my techy posts, if it suits the OP.

The posts on technique are MOST interesting. Thanks for those! :wave:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep, that's another good one. Besides timbre changes switching between presets, you can do stuttering rhythmic things. I've played the staccato organ part from "Won't Get Fooled Again" using this technique.

Yeah that's a good use of that trick. The only other three I can think of are probably old news off-speeding the tonewheels , that little thing switching the percussion on and off to bring in/out the 1' drawbar and that 'swishy' effect you get by grabbing the drawbars and mashing them in and out. I also like the spit effect when you played the keys a certain way - I think the Hammond is the only keyboard that does this - but I could be wrong. 'Fly Like an Eagle' has that effect at some point when the guy really pounds the keys. Then you add a Leslie or two and that opens things up even more.

• 4 years later...

Archived