What made you want to learn guitar?

rememberduane

• Members

I can remember distinctly the first time I really heard Jimi Hendrix (obviously I had heard Hendrix before with a classic rock-loving dad, but I mean really heard). I was about 10, going to one of my baseball games. It was Voodoo Chile, and the way he made the guitar just growl and cry and scream moved me like nothing did before or since.

My parents got me a $20 Suzuki strat style guitar at a garage sale that I played through a toy karaoke machine until I was 12, when they got me a Fender acoustic. When I was 14 I got a job and saved up all summer for a Mexi Strat and a Frontman 15R and that was that.

What made you want to learn guitar?

• Members

If my dad was ever there I might have been able to say the same thing. He was supposedly a very talented musician, though I am better off as he is a selfish prick.
:mad:

Sorry to hear it, but you're probably better off without, you know?

My dad was inspiring because he worked long hours to support us, and gigged every weekend to bring in more money. He didn't have more than 2 guitars and a Marshall half stack, actually one guitar he built, so it really inspired me more. Cool I guess.

• Members

I grew up around music, so it was a natural, obvious choice for me to get into it. My dad was a huge Lynyrd Skynyrd and Allman Brothers southern rock kind of guy, and my mom always had the Beatles on in the background. I first got interested in guitar because of Tom Petty. His acoustic {censored} always sounded just {censored}ing beautiful to me, and his electric stuff was cool as hell, so I decided to get a guitar, and teach myself how to play. I've always been very into art, too, so it was another way to express myself, and create something totally my own.

• Members

My mate at school used to play what i thought back then was really well (4 cords cleanly). All the chicks used to dig him big time so i thought it was my ticket to poon! He showed me that song by the bloodhound gand and a couple of nirvana riffs. It wasn't untill 12 years later that i actually found a women turned on by my obsessive playing and i aint letting her go!

• Members

I had a friend who played guitar and he always wanted me to get one so that we could play together. He was the friend who introduced me to rock. Specifically Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera and groups of the such. I remember being at his house listening to Master of Puppets album on repeat. I loved Orion, Battery, Master of Puppets and the whole album. I decided to save my money when I was 14 and I picked up a guitar from Musicians Friend. Had to have been one of the best investments I have ever made.

Cole

Archived