OT: Anybody ever built a guitar from parts?

rememberduane

• Members

currently in the process of customizing 3 guitars. gonna replace one of my strat's body with a warmoth (no, it won't be the red hot chili pepper one, you can rest easy), planning on making a custom one with warmoth parts (probably a LP type or that Z body) and used some warmoth and carvin parts to make a completely custom guitar with a wicked handcut body (made by me).

pics when i'm done. HA!

• Members

some nice guitars on here.

heres my parts-o-caster

P1000574.jpg

P1000550.jpg

Body - Mitey Mite Ash w/quilted maple top

Neck - Mitey Mite Maple w/ebony Fretboard

Tuners - Wilkinson EZY LOK

Bridge - Fender HWY USA

Pickups - Seymour Duncans

(Bridge - Custom Custom)

(Mid - APS2 RW/RP)

(Neck - APS 2)

wired it with a coil split with the push pull pot on the end tone.

my next project is a tele but im still looking for hte perfect thinline body

• Members

Like from Warmoth, USACG, Musikraft, etc.

I'm thinking about building a tele from a Musikraft body and neck. Has anybody ever bought from them?

For discussion's sake, I was thinking something like this:

2-piece Swamp Ash body routed for strat neck/middle pickups and a standard tele bridge/pickup. I'd get a belly and arm contour on it.

One piece Kingwood (dark rosewood) neck/fingerboard. A fat D carve and a 10" straight radius would be complemented by tall frets (.090x0.55) and an extra rolled fingerboard. I'd finish both the body and the neck in a few coats of TruOil only.

I'd use top end Callaham hardware all around and wire it up with top end electronics. It'd be wired five-way, with the first 3 positions like a strat, then 4 would be neck/bridge like tele middle, and then 5 would be tele bridge.

I'd put Lindy Fralin Blues Specials all around -- Neck, Middle (RWRP), and tele Bridge.

I'd top it off with a setup for 12's, and be happy for a very long time.

I figure this is something I can save up for and work on over the next year or so.

Have any of you ever done something similar? If so, how did it turn out? Any recommendations on parts suppliers or anything else? Thanks!

Yup... Charvel Strat Alder Body, GMW strat headstock neck, Floyd Rose Trem, Duncan EVH PU

The Black and Yellow one in the middle is mine.

guitar%20pics%20007.jpg

Archived