Tonelab LE does metal...

Randy Van Sykes

• Members

I used to think the PODxt was better than the Tonelab LE for really heavy-gained tones, but I take that back.

I have the Tonelab LE set to the Marshall 800 --> AC30 2x12 cab.

The amp's gain and VR are cranked and I'm using the built in 'fat' gain pedal with the gain set at only 3...this is hold a note forever type of gain.

This is a much better high gain tone than the PODxt could produce, it sounds much more like a real cranked tube amp. The Tonelab kicks the Pod's booty all around for cleans, mild breakup and metal. :thu:

that is all.

• Members

You know I agree.

the lab just produces a much more natural amp tone. The guys that say it's not metal enough just prefer an oveprocessed, squished, solid state-type of gain. You don't have to work very hard for the distortion, but, you don't get the reward for it either.

The SE can do metal too. I like to use a JCM-type amp set high gain, and then kick it in the balls with a pedal. It's a bit more vintage-style of metal...but thegain is there.

The LE might have a more updated hi-gain sound.

• Members

You know I agree.

the lab just produces a much more natural amp tone. The guys that say it's not metal enough just prefer an oveprocessed, squished, solid state-type of gain. You don't have to work very hard for the distortion, but, you don't get the reward for it either.

The SE can do metal too. I like to use a JCM-type amp set high gain, and then kick it in the balls with a pedal. It's a bit more vintage-style of metal...but thegain is there.

The LE might have a more updated hi-gain sound.

I read that the LE has been tweaked to have more gain on some of the amp models and some of the clean amp models are able to stay cleaner. :idk:

Sounds great to me...I'm thinking of grabbing another for jamming ides in the studio.

• Members

Sounds great...when I gig out with it I use this for stage volume.

Tech 21 Power Engine 60 1x12 powered cab...80 watts, it's loud and sounds great.

375717.jpg

ah, I see. Aren't those designed to be used with modellers, i.e. full range/flat response? Have you every plugged into the return of a standard combo amp, and use the Tonelab as the preamp/effects?

• Members

ah, I see. Aren't those designed to be used with modellers, i.e. full range/flat response? Have you every plugged into the return of a standard combo amp, and use the Tonelab as the preamp/effects?

I plug my SE right in the front. My fav is the front of a '64 Fender Twin Reverb.

I {censored} you not bro it's bad ass.

• Members

I tweaked it to be run direct to front of house...but you can turn off the cab simulator and run it that way.

Archived