help me i suck / i cant play metallica

bluesboy

• Members

so, im a self taught player, started in 2000 or so. i started off (trying) to play metal, and then i moved into more of a classic rock blues mode. I practice a little bit here and there when i can... usually for about an hour before i go to bed. and rather than rehashing all the crap i already know, i've been trying to learn new (new as in i dont previously know how to play it) and more challenging stuff. now i can hack out something that sounds close, and would be sort of passable, but that's not what im trying to do. im trying to play it right, and play it well, for rhtyhm and lead stuff.

so i bought some tab books.....

ride the lightning, master of puppets, and lynyrd skynyrd's greatest hits.

let me just talk about the metallica songs.... the rhythm stuff is very fast for me to play cleanly, and the solos? i cant even come close... i can play bits and pieces.

for instance, in sanitarium, i can play the first solo, and my timing is pretty good/i can hit all the notes pretty well. the second solo, which i really want to play, ties my fingers up (maybe it's the harmony? i dunno...

it cant be a matter of just practicing and practicing... because ive been trying. maybe my technique is bad, or maybe i just suck.

any help :cry:

• Members

take it slower. maybe you're rushing into metallica too fast

Yeah, the best way I have found to get something down is to break it up into small sections and pratice one section at a time.

I will start off playing a section very slowly, maybe half speed, and work my way up in speed until I've got it down and am playing that section by feel/reflex and not by thinking about every note.

I'll then do another section like that and when I'm comfortable with it I will combine the 2 together and move on to learning a 3rd section. Then combine that in etc..... until I have learned the whole solo or rhythm of a song.

• Members

Metallica's all about the downpicking, I find it far easier to be standing up with the guitar hanging a little low for fast downpicking. Try song's like creeping death, puppets, throught the never all downpicking. Itll take practice for sure, but youll need some downpicking speed to play their stuff cleanly. After speed comes endurance, and that won't come easily. Youll see what I mean when your arm is burning from pain halfway through the song. Eventually you learn to relax your picking arm while playing, could take a while though.

• Members
lots of practice. i remember being pretty convinced at one point when i was starting there was no way metallica could play that fast. now it dosent really seem that fast at all
:thu:

hahahah that's exactly what went through my head when learning the fade to black solo when i was starting out hehe

• Members

hahahah that's
exactly
what went through my head when learning the fade to black solo when i was starting out hehe

Same story here too. First solo(s) I learned. Then I tried the fast one in MoP and obviously it was just straight up fail. I look back now and can't believe what a n00b I was, being all like "OMG this is 16ths at 220bpm thats impossible kirk hammet is teh god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111".

• Members

kids who start with Metallica get discouraged because it is too hard. Then they just quit altogether. Start with the easiest 3-chord punk songs, and improve your pick technique, sense of rhythm, and finger strength.

well... i dont really consider myself a total beginner just because i cant play metal. I can play lots of classic rock and blues, inlcuding nailing some solos. I can also play some modern rock without alot of difficult soloing.

for instance, i can play every song on led zeppelin II, led zeppelin 4, all the early black sabbath albums, including the solos.

i can play those because they aren't super fast, and the solos are all patterns and phrasing that i can recognize.

learning three chord punk songs wouldn't help me much

Archived