Why shouldn't I make a wet/dry rig?

JnBroadbent

• Members

I could do one on the cheap.

Post rock-ish stuff?

What are you looking for from a W/D rig that a more straight forward one isn't providing? There are good reasons to do it and then there's doing it because you can. If you've got a few good reasons, go for, if not, you should improve what you have instead of spending extra money making your rig larger and harder to carry/setup when it's not something you necessarily need to take advantage of.

• Members

What are you looking for from a W/D rig that a more straight forward one isn't providing? There are good reasons to do it and then there's doing it because you can. If you've got a few good reasons, go for, if not, you should improve what you have instead of spending extra money making your rig larger and harder to carry/setup when it's not something you necessarily need to take advantage of.

:o

I haven't done much research into it but I remember reading how many people enjoy a wet/dry rig when running time based effects over the traditional setup.

• Members

I haven't done much research into it but I remember reading how many people enjoy a wet/dry rig when running time based effects over the traditional setup.

I like running in stereo. You have lots of layering effects, different tone and effects options on each side, etc. It can get messy if you don't pay attention, but it can be cool too. And obviously, you need your sound system to be stereo capable or it is pretty much a waste.

• Members

That's most likely to gain the same advantages of running time based effects in an effects loop of an amp that doesn't have a loop when the amp is hte source of the gain.

People tend to not like it when a time based effect gets distorted rather than acting on the distorted guitar signal.

So if you're going dirt box-> delay -> clean amp or delay ->clean amp you're all set. Delay ->dirty amp can be iffy if you don't like that sound. Delay in the loop is nice, unless you're using a lot of power amp gain and then it's essentially the same as running out in front, if you like that or not.

• Members

I like running in stereo. You have lots of layering effects, different tone and effects options on each side, etc. It can get messy if you don't pay attention, but it can be cool too. And obviously, you need your sound system to be stereo capable or it is pretty much a waste.

That's the other reason to go that way, IMO, but I've never really had much luck with a sound man being able to setup a great mix running guitar mono essentially, so unless things have a changed a lot in my area, stereo wouldn't make too much sense for me because no house rig is setup that way with a sound man who can handle that kind of thing.

• Members
That's the other reason to go that way, IMO, but I've never really had much luck with a sound man being able to setup a great mix running guitar mono essentially, so unless things have a changed a lot in my area, stereo wouldn't make too much sense for me because no house rig is setup that way with a sound man who can handle that kind of thing.

I'd say that maybe 1/4-1/2 of the area club rigs are set up to go stereo. We never use the house system when we play clubs. We always use our own. If we do hire sound for really large stuff, we use the ones who are stereo capable.

• Members

I'd say that maybe 1/4-1/2 of the area club rigs are set up to go stereo. We never use the house system when we play clubs. We always use our own. If we do hire sound for really large stuff, we use the ones who are stereo capable.

Unfortunately, the last time I was in a band serious enough to od this was HS and we didn't have the money to. But yeah, if possible, I'd higher my own guy with a system for all my gigs. Unfortunately, playing originals it's also hard to make the money to make up for that unless you play really long sets with covers mixed in, at least in my experience.

• Members

Unfortunately, the last time I was in a band serious enough to od this was HS and we didn't have the money to. But yeah, if possible, I'd higher my own guy with a system for all my gigs. Unfortunately, playing originals it's also hard to make the money to make up for that unless you play really long sets with covers mixed in, at least in my experience.

Ya, if you are unestablished trying to play all originals, its hard to generate any cash.

• Members

I use it every time I gig.

Fair enough, but for the average player gigging is an event that occurs 1-4 time per month, and I play for at least an hour every day, so that means if I had a wet/dry rig I would only be able to use it for approximately 6.7% of my total time spent playing.

• Members

Fair enough, but for the average player gigging is an event that occurs 1-4 time per month, and I play for at least an hour every day, so that means if I had a wet/dry rig I would only be able to use it for approximately 6.7% of my total time spent playing.

Well ya, but isn't that the main object to having a nice soundibng rig?

• Members
Yes and no... I might be in the minority here, but I find it really important to practice on the same gear I gig with, otherwise my technique adjusts to one set of gear and I have to do things differently on gig night.

But! That's just me.

That's probably more true if you only gig 3-4 times a month. It you gig more than that, I think you get pretty used to your stuff. And I didn't notice the OP saying that he/she WOULDN'T use the same setup to mess around on. Of course, I wouldn't dig my live stuff out of the truck every week to play on.:thu:

Archived