New amp from MACKIE

Invicta

• Members
I don't give a {censored} how long they have been making things, Mackie is just another n00b that talks about their new stuff like it is amazing.

Looks like a Line 6 copy to me. This n00b company can eat a dick.

Uh....yeah...:confused:

Although the company was not founded until 1988, Mackie Designs' roots date back to 1969, when Greg Mackie founded Technical Audio Products (TAPCO) with his ...

• Members

I'm gonna disagree about Mackie stuff. Their active speakers are great, but their boards are crap for the price tags. Who would ever pay a grand or two for a Mackie board when an Allen and Heath or Sound Craft can be had for the same money?

Depends on what you are looking for. I agree that Mackie stuff isn't even close to being the best, and it definitely not rider friendly, but in the U.S. you can't touch a 24 channel, 8 bus console in A&H or Soundcraft for the price of the Mackie 24.8. You may be able to get a GL2400 for a decent price, but that's a 4 bus console, I truly prefer 8 bus consoles myself.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Can anyone else confirmdeny this claim, since this poster has seemed to vanish?

From the Kelly Industries website:

"The two 12AX7 preamp tubes are used to create the wide variety of amp sound emulations. The Cyber-Twin is not a DSP amp modeler. What it has is a number of analog switches that are used to re-route the guitar signal into various configurations. Each configuration has a different sound. So what you end up with is a not a Digital Emulation but an analog equivalent."

Sounds eerily like the Mackie description, dunnit? However, the Mackie has a new-fangled MOSFET-based digital poweramp and uses a full-range speaker. Here's hoping it sounds good for $1500!

• Members

I think the Cyber series is tubeless.

Sticking a few 12AX7's in an amp doesn't make it a tube amp.

Solid state power sections are solidstate powersections.

Peavey tried it, Fender tried it, MosValve tried it, Marshall tried it. .

. . . what makes you think Mackie will get it right?

Great if they do, but I'm not betting the farm.

-W

• Members

Sticking a few 12AX7's in an amp doesn't make it a tube amp.

Solid state power sections are solidstate powersections.

Peavey tried it, Fender tried it, MosValve tried it, Marshall tried it. .

. . . what makes you think Mackie will get it right?

Great if they do, but I'm not betting the farm.

-W

This thing will need alot of turd polish

• Members

Sounds eerily like the Mackie description, dunnit? However, the Mackie has a new-fangled MOSFET-based
digital
poweramp and uses a full-range speaker. Here's hoping it sounds good for $1500!

I don't mean to attack you or anything, but I really have to clear the air on a common misconception that bothers me a lot. There's no such thing anywhere as a "digital power amp" in an audio device. It does not exist no matter what any marketing materials tell you. The input is analog, the output is analog, and there are no analog to digital or digital to analog converters in the signal path. Audio is analog, and except in the case of digital signal processing, it does not get converted to a digital anywhere. Parts of the amplifier may be controlled digitally, but that doesn't affect the signal path.

What it probably has is a switching power amp, also known as Class D. These are analog, and operate roughly similar to a regular Class AB/Class B design only instead of gradually powering down one bank of transistors while the other powers up, it alternates between banks much more quickly and thus the time in between full conduction is greatly reduced. Not to mention the power used during that reduced in-between time is itself less. This adds up to a compact and efficient power amp that can deliver lots of power without lots of heat or a heavy heatsink, and due to its reduced power requirements vs. an equivalent AB poweramp, it can achieve similar performance with a smaller(i.e cheaper and lighter) power supply.

One day some doofus marketing type decided that "Class D" sounded close enough to market a product as "D for Digital" and sure enough, everyone ate it up. It's true that some Class D amps like Tripath-based ones may have a digital clock inside them but like I said, the clock is not in the signal path and the amplification process is hardly "digital". There is nothing to prevent them from sounding as good as any other SS audio amp, although I couldn't tell you if it would sound good in the role of a guitar amp.

A major part of the secret of the 'tube sound' is the tendency of tubes to create even harmonics vs. transistors' tendency towards odd harmonics. Also, tube amps have a high output impedance because of their output transformers, thus their damping factor(relates to the control an amplifier has on the speakers it drives) is low. A solid state amplifier can be made to sound more characteristically 'tube like' by increasing the output impedance, and this is easy to do. Take a 10 watt(or higher rating) resistor, anything from 0.5 to 5 ohms and place it in series with the + lead of your speaker cable. Listen and see if you notice a small difference. I would recommend you try this with your home stereo(not some garbage plastic home theater) first, and not an instrument amplifier.

• Members

It's true that some Class D amps like Tripath-based ones may have a digital clock inside them....

That was enough for me and my overly simplistic understanding. Sorry to have implied otherwise. Thanks for clarifying. It's nice to be free of an OT in any case.

• Members

A major part of the secret of the 'tube sound' is the tendency of tubes to create even harmonics vs. transistors' tendency towards odd harmonics. Also, tube amps have a high output impedance because of their output transformers, thus their damping factor(relates to the control an amplifier has on the speakers it drives) is low. A solid state amplifier can be made to sound more characteristically 'tube like' by increasing the output impedance, and this is easy to do. Take a 10 watt(or higher rating) resistor, anything from 0.5 to 5 ohms and place it in series with the + lead of your speaker cable. Listen and see if you notice a small difference. I would recommend you try this with your home stereo(not some garbage plastic home theater) first, and not an instrument amplifier.

At least this last paragraph is true.

• Members

And where does it say the power amp is digital?
It says the power supply is a switching type, and that is going to help bring the weight down.

But where does it say that the power amp is digital or class D?

• Members

And where does it say the power amp is digital?

It says the power supply is a switching type, and that is going to help bring the weight down.

But where does it say that the power amp is digital or class D?

The poweramp is solidstate. Solidstate poweramps have no class, D or otherwise.

-W

• 1 month later...

Archived